83 GL1100 carb leak after re-install

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Big_Blumpkin
Tin Member
Tin Member

83 GL1100 carb leak after re-install

Post by Big_Blumpkin »

Hey gang, After fixing the rear case and reinstalling the engine on my 83 GL1100, I found another issue. Everything went together fine, but the carburetor is leaking gas pretty heavily from the right side (right when sitting on the bike) when the bike runs. It runs really smoothly but the gas leak is too bad to take it for a spin. I removed the carbs using this method https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 933#p93933
which removes the right side vacuum chamber covers.

The leak seems to be coming from the fuel intake line, where it seems like O-rings could be going bad. However, it's a little funny that it's only on the right side, where I removed the covers (with needles below).

When I shut the fuel off at the tank and let it run, the leak stops and the bike still runs smoothly for a few minutes. I'm wondering if this is normal for stuck needle valves (I've heard they can make carbs leak) or if it's more likely to have sprung a leak elsewhere.

Has anyone run across this before? Any thoughts on a fix or things I can try to troubleshoot. I'm pretty new to carburetor issues.
MattMcCoy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: 83 GL1100 carb leak after re-install

Post by MattMcCoy »

Did you rebuild the carbs and replace all the rubber parts? I believe that inlet has two o-rings.
1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000

“I see Angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home."
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: 83 GL1100 carb leak after re-install

Post by Track T 2411 »

Typically a stuck float will cause fuel to overflow into the carb and back into the plenum. These carbs don't have an overflow vent like some m/c carbs do. I've found exterior fuel leaks to be the o-rings on the inlet nipple, those on the ends of the 'pipes' between the carbs, or the o-ring between the carb body and plenum. After my first leaky rebuild, I learned how to test them for leaks before installing...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.