Oil Screen Cover Removal GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Oil Screen Cover Removal GL1000

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Every design is a compromise. The best ones involve deciding which parts will need to be accessed most often and putting them where they can be accessed with the engine in the frame. Many 4 cylinder 'Wings still have their original stators 4 decades later so putting it in a less accessible place so that things like the oil filter can be easier to get at sounds like good design to me.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Thank you for correcting me Bob. You know what I meant
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Well, I guess I’ll come clean here! My 76 that I bought new has NEVER, EVER had that screen cleaned, I obsessed over it for a while and even tried to access it and after struggling with it decided to “eff it”, it must not be that important or Honda wouldn’t have put it there.

As far as stators go, mine failed within the first 5mi from new and was replaced under warranty. I was not a happy camper having a brand new bike that had to have the motor pulled & the stator replaced on the day that I initially picked it up. Poor design or quality control.

And don’t get me started on the many trips back because of what I now know was the slides sticking due to the dealer not cleaning the shipping cosmolene from the slides on setup and multiple claims of rebuilding the carbs to fix the problem that was pure lies because a guy I worked with (thanks Mike !) that was a former Honda trained mechanic actually did redo the carbs (after 2-3yrs) with me all for a 12 pack of beer that I drank a lot of. My bike finally ran ok.

Then we get to the timing thing, I only set the timing dynamically now with a degree wheel setup on the lh cam gear, Randakk always said that statically setting the timing over advanced the timing 6-10deg and while I have disagreed with a lot of Randall’s comments he is 100% on the money. And then on 76’s there was the problem with properly setting the points due to the point cam not being ground correctly, fixed with a new electronic Prestolite ignition and then we had the mismarked timing marks on the flywheel with the T2 mark being around 6deg retarded to the T1.

My bike must’ve been a Monday morning build and I’m so surprised that I still own it, but it runs so nice any more, like it should’ve from new. Truly surprised to this day that I didn’t trade it on the new 76 Kawasaki 900 LTD that I rode and was looking at trading the GL on if not for the a-hole salesman, I’d probably be on a Kawi forum now.

Oh well, thanks for the little rant and thanks for all the available info here. Good people !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:49 am ]

Re setting the timing: IIRC, it always took me more time to go and get new points than it did to install and adjust them. The hardest part of installing the new ones was always running the wire and setting the points took perhaps 10 minutes for the ones fixed to the plate and 15 minutes for the adjustable ones. Of course, that assumes that you replaced the condensers at the same time because bad condensers can make as much difference as mis-adjusted points.

You're a better man than I Gunga Bob
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I think the trick is to always replace the condensers when you replace the points.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Yep Bob, the condensers are critical to any point ignition for longevity.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

If you do pry out the frame to get to the screen bolt-----do not use a ratchet wrench. I know, I did! It will loosen the bolt fine until you come in contact with the frame, then you will not be able to remove the wrench to get it out of the way. Only solution at that point is hacksaw the bolt head off. Then hopefully the bolt is loose enough to remove with your fingers.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Easter wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:59 pm If you do pry out the frame to get to the screen bolt-----do not use a ratchet wrench. I know, I did! It will loosen the bolt fine until you come in contact with the frame, then you will not be able to remove the wrench to get it out of the way. Only solution at that point is hacksaw the bolt head off. Then hopefully the bolt is loose enough to remove with your fingers.
ouch!
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS