Fork Seal Removal the Easy Way

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fork Seal Removal the Easy Way

Post by tomk1960 »

If you own one of the first generation GL's and have attempted to replace the fork seals, then you probably know how hard it can be to get the old seals out. If the original ones are still in place, they will be REALLY stuck. Years ago, I made one of the fork seal removal tools that Randakk highlights on his site, but even that didn't always work that well if the seals were stubborn. This is what they usually look like before they come out:

I'm not sure why they get so firmly embedded, but I assume that the aluminum corrodes and forms some sort of chemical bond with the rubber outer coating of the seal.

Yesterday I started prepping a customer's forks for powder coating and when it came time to remove the old seals, I found a fast and easy way to get them out. I wrapped the fork leg with a thick rag, then put it in my vice with wooden blocks in between the vice jaws and the leg. Now apply some of your favorite penetrating oil around the seal where it meets the aluminum. My beverage of choice is Mouse Milk, one of the best penetrants I've ever used.

Next, you need to remove some of the inner rubber covering from the seal. If you're careful, you can cut away a little with an fine, sharp blade. You need to expose the upper metal edge of the seal as well as the inner area where you can see the little spring.

Once you can see that upper metal edge, the real work begins. Take a large flat bladed screwdriver or something similar and give that metal edge a few whacks with a hammer. Stay away from the aluminum. You'll notice that the seal will start to move slightly downward. At this point, you've broken the bond. Now take that same screwdriver and slip it in through the opening and gently pry upward. Notice that I used a piece of wood to protect the top edge of the fork leg.

The seal will start to slide upward as you pry and will come out with very little effort. Presto! And no damage done to the sealing surface!

This took a total of 5 minutes to get out and required no special tools. Try it the next time you need to replace seals and let me know how it goes.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Fork Seal Removal the Easy Way

Post by cfairweather »

I use a heat gun on the seal until it starts smoking. The seal will come out very easy after you get it very hot. Heat is the key to solving a lot of issues with these old bikes :) .