GL1000 coil curiosity

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kenai
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

GL1000 coil curiosity

Post by kenai »

Hi All - basic question is what is the factory spec (if any) for voltage at the yellow/blue wire (at points hookup) with the key turned on (start button not depressed). Currently I am getting 4.7 volts each side. Pic shows a coil I am pondering installing. I plugged it in and the voltage was 6.7 vac each side.

Notice the electrical piece bridging the white piece in the pic. Old timers will probably recognize this mod.

78-9 GL's have a wire harness used to plug in the coils. Earlier GLs had bullet connectors on these wires that would loosen and would drop power to the yellow/blue wires at the points. Now that's a clue!
Attachments
gl1000 coil.jpg
gl1000 coil.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 173 times
2 - 1979 GL1000
1 - 1978
1 - 1977
1 for parts
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: GL1000 coil curiosity

Post by desertrefugee »

If memory serves… which is certainly debatable… the coil primaries draw about an amp after the drop across the ballast resistor. Again, going off memory from some years back, the voltage level you’re reading is pretty close (on either example). I complained about it, but that’s roughly the expected primary voltage after the ballast on the old four-cylinder gold wings – specifically the 1000s.

I happily removed the ballast on my 78 when I installed Dyna green coils.m

Totally “winging” it here, but the capacitor in parallel with the resistor creates an RC circuit. Commonly used for filtering, I suspect it’s to help prevent radio interference in grandpa’s 67 Fury at the stoplight next to you…in case the resistor caps don’t do an adequate job.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
pjlogue
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by pjlogue »

If I remember correctly, I recall the resistor being in circuit during running conditions and bypassed during starting. This provided more power to the plugs when trying to start the bike. Running full time with stock coil resistance without the resistor, draws too much current and can burn out the coils primary windings. I replaced my coils with greater resistance primary wire coils and then could remove the resister.

If the component in parallel with the resister is a capacitor, desertrefugee is correct and it is for RF noise suppression. However, it appears to be a wire wound ceramic resister in parallel with the other (stock) resister which could have been to either replace a burned out stock resister without removing the old or to give a little more "oomph" to the bikes spark without overloading the coils.

-P.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

4.7 seems a bit low. Good battery?? Check the static battery charge and also pull the Headlight fuse to eliminate that draw while doing your testing. Yes the extra Cap serves several functions. Spark shaping, EMI reduction and additional protection for the points from the EMI surge. Some voltages shown here viewtopic.php?f=52&t=60469#p667397
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

The brown add-on seemingly in parallel with the ballast resistor is a 2 ohm resistor, which would give about 1.25 ohm for the total (normal ballast being 3 ohm), but this doesn't agree with your measured voltage. If it is in series, then the total would be ~5 ohm, which agrees pretty well with your measured voltage. I cannot figure why anyone would do either with stock coils. And, this is all on the LV primary side of the coils, not effecting RF discharges.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped