Cooling and charging issues

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Koboldwrangler
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Cooling and charging issues

Post by Koboldwrangler »

Hello--

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed multiples times across different threads, but I just want a sanity check since I am new to goldwings.

Picked up a pair of titled '78 gl1000's for $500. Been working on the burgandy one as its the lower mileage of the two, and is visually in better shape. However, after tearing into it, the bike basically needed one of everything.

After taking it on its maiden voyage, two issues have cropped up.

1: After ~10 minutes of riding, the temp will creep up to the blank square just behind the red line. I rode it like this for about 12 miles as it would fluctuate between the high up in the white area and just below the blank square. My luck ran out shortly after when coolant started overflowing onto the engine and hitting the exhaust (big surprise). The system was bled of air, the fan is working as I can feel air getting pulled through the radiator, and the top of the radiator was scalding hot. I am going to presume that my water pump is shot and needs to be replaced?

2: Also while I was riding back from getting coffee, I noticed my battery gauge was dropping. With a semi-fresh battery, the gauge only read~ 11 volts, though a DMM said it was ~12.5v (yes, that is rather low.) With the bike idling(and before departing on my short trip), it said 12.5, and revving the motor brought it to 12.6v. Of all the goldwings that have had charging issues, what is usually the #1 cause? I know I need to check for the ~50v ac from each leg on the stator, though thats where my knowledge on what to check stops.
Attachments
20220402_232803_HDR.jpg
20220402_232803_HDR.jpg (265.76 KiB) Viewed 978 times
20220403_142217_HDR.jpg
20220403_142217_HDR.jpg (288.44 KiB) Viewed 978 times
20220403_145753_HDR.jpg
20220403_145753_HDR.jpg (288.8 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Cooling and charging issues

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Smarter folks than I will be along shortly to help out

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

First check for the apparent overheating would be to get the radiator flushed out, before ripping into the engine.
My 76 didn't have overheating, but the rad spring a leak. The shop that fixed it said the rad was 2/3ds blocked up.
I would believe your DMM rather tham a 40 year old gauge running on current through 40 year old connections. You're starting in the right place though to check it out. Off hand I can't remember the specifics of the test , sorry.
If you find you DO need to work on the water pump, they are usually (not always) rebuildable.
https://www.wingovations.com/waterpumprebuildkit
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

The 7V regulator is often an issue on these older girls so I wonder if that impacts the coolant gauge and voltmeter. My GL1000s are earlier (1977 and 1976) and neither have a voltage gauge so not sure but looking at the 7V regulator may be important but your ride was short and certainly your coolant gauge was not as accurate as it should have been. Go for the easy stuff first. If the water pump is in fact pumping water, then the radiator is the next thing to check.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Koboldwrangler
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Koboldwrangler »

Fred Camper wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:47 pm The 7V regulator is often an issue on these older girls so I wonder if that impacts the coolant gauge and voltmeter. My GL1000s are earlier (1977 and 1976) and neither have a voltage gauge so not sure but looking at the 7V regulator may be important but your ride was short and certainly your coolant gauge was not as accurate as it should have been. Go for the easy stuff first. If the water pump is in fact pumping water, then the radiator is the next thing to check.
Old Fogey wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:42 pm First check for the apparent overheating would be to get the radiator flushed out, before ripping into the engine.
My 76 didn't have overheating, but the rad spring a leak. The shop that fixed it said the rad was 2/3ds blocked up.
I would believe your DMM rather tham a 40 year old gauge running on current through 40 year old connections. You're starting in the right place though to check it out. Off hand I can't remember the specifics of the test , sorry.
If you find you DO need to work on the water pump, they are usually (not always) rebuildable.
https://www.wingovations.com/waterpumprebuildkit
I am to believe the 7v regulator is fine as the bike did overheat with the needle just under the red, and when I went to restart it once it cooled down, the battery did seem weak.

As for the charging, from what I've read and know, it should be outputting ~14v, not 12.6v. I am not sure what to check first as I've read that basically everything can fail, including the r/r, stator, stator plug, and the dog bone fuse

I am going to replace the radiator as the filler neck is damaged--the lip that the cap hooks onto, about 80% of that lip on one side is busted off. It could probably be fixed but I'd rather just replace the whole thing.

I'm not going to rebuild the waterpump as (imo) bakelite is probably the worst material to make a part needed for longevity out of. I want the steel one in the engine if I am going to ride it for any long distance.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

7 volt regulator has nothing to do with either problem. Charging is most often hindered by the connector on the "three yellow wires" leading to the regulator. You will probably find ample evidence of overheating on the three wire connector. Many posts on here about fixing it.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

Koboldwrangler wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:00 pm I am going to replace the radiator as the filler neck is damaged--the lip that the cap hooks onto, about 80% of that lip on one side is busted off.
If your radiator cap ain't sealing, that's more than likely the cause of your overheating.
Koboldwrangler
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Koboldwrangler »

dontwantapickle wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:46 pm
Koboldwrangler wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:00 pm I am going to replace the radiator as the filler neck is damaged--the lip that the cap hooks onto, about 80% of that lip on one side is busted off.
If your radiator cap ain't sealing, that's more than likely the cause of your overheating.
Oh it's definitely sealed despite the lip partly missing. Like I said, I'm going to replace the radiator.
Koboldwrangler
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Koboldwrangler »

Question--

If you had to replace your radiator, would you get another used one like this such as this one that has been "cleaned and tested"https://www.ebay.com/itm/363750367999?m ... olid=10050

Or would get an aluminum one from china like this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115246555598?m ... olid=10050
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Not too long ago 5speed put one of those aluminum ones in and did a fairly extensive review. There were some fitment issues as I recall. Not sure it is exactly the same one? Here is the link https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 72#p699883

Jeez looks like it was 5 years ago now!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Koboldwrangler
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Koboldwrangler »

Whiskerfish wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:45 pm Not too long ago 5speed put one of those aluminum ones in and did a fairly extensive review. There were some fitment issues as I recall. Not sure it is exactly the same one? Here is the link https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 72#p699883

Jeez looks like it was 5 years ago now!!
Hmm... I may try that $45 radiator first. hard to pass on that price, especially since it has free shipping!

the one question i still need answered is, should i replace my water pump, whether it be because its bad, or just for preventative maintenance?
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Koboldwrangler wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:07 pm the one question i still need answered is, should i replace my water pump, whether it be because its bad, or just for preventative maintenance?
No, unless you like extra work and expense for no reason. You should check it though, while you have the rad off. Any sideways movement means new or a rebuild.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Koboldwrangler
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Koboldwrangler »

So, update on the charging system. Just wanted to do a sanity check before I order parts.

Stator voltage: 2 of the legs put out 50v, where the third is outputting 25v. Checking each leg to ground nets .5 ohm each. I assume the stator is roasted?

Rectifier: Doing the resistance check shows each diode at 125k ohm in forward bias, and open in reverse. I assume the rectifier pack is also roasted?
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Rectifier is probably good, the stater not so much. Rectifier has to have proper input in order to work properly and your measurements for the rectifier are normal for forward and reverse. Diodes are like check valves. They allow flow in one direction and none in the other direction. A failed reading would be a dead short in either direction or most likely an open in both directions.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Two bikes, two rectifiers. Swap them and see what your symptoms are then.