converting to LED lights

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: converting to LED lights

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I was about to say that no GL1000 has a hazard light switch but I went back to the first post to check and realized we're talking about a 1985 Aspencade.

When I read about the red tail light indicator on the instrument panel I somehow thought it was a '75-77 1000 with the RLU (I'm surprised nobody called me on that). My apologies for giving you completely incorrect advice.

I know Honda experimented with tail light failure indicators on other models in the '80s that cause a warning light to come on when LED tail lights are installed but I have no idea where that module would be on your bike or whether it can simply be unplugged as on some other models.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Oldmannewwinger »

Rednaxs60 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 am Interesting. Here's a PDF of the circuit: Aspy Flasher.pdf
WOW! That's the best schematic I've seen. It depicts the inner workings of the switches and all. Is that from Honda's shop manuel or Clymers? I would like to get the whole book.

It seems that any three terminal flasher will act appropriately with the signal cancelation circuit. Is that true? If not, maybe that could be my problem. Thanks for your help.
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

Ok, so I went to NAPA and exchanged the electronic flasher for another style - same resuts. I got a couple of old flashers from a friend that was parting out a GL1200L and neither one of them work. Does anyone know what exactly that blue/black wire does? Rednaxs60 explained that it goes to the signal cancellation circuit, but how would I test that to make sure it's working? Also, wouldn't the flasher work with that wire disconnected, just like a two terminal blinker?
And one more question: How would I set up a test just for the flasher? I hooked up two 1156 bulbs in series and tried to load the flasher but it does nothing. Thanks.
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

I just tested the bike system with a two pin flasher hooking up to the green/white and the grey wires only. The turn signals work fine that way with the exception of the cancel funtion of course. Also pushing the button in does not cancel it, I have to push it the oposite way to cancel. This leads me to think that the signal cancel switch has failed. Again I'm not sure how I could test that as I don't know how it is supposed to work.
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

I forgot to mention that one of the old flashers I just got will work just fine plugged into the 4-way circuit.
HHMM!!
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

I've posted twice now and still cant see my post.
Does anyone know how to test the cancel circuit to see if the switch is working?
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

So Sidecar Bob, just to clarify, you're saying there is no RLU on my 85 Aspencade? I did notice recently that when I go to high beem and my halegen running lights come on sometimes the red light goes out for a bit.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't think it has an RLU bit if it does have something like that it won't be like the one I posted instructions for bypassing. I suspect it has something like a tail light failure module (the same sort of thing but with no connection to the headlight).
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Oldmannewwinger wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 pm I just tested the bike system with a two pin flasher hooking up to the green/white and the grey wires only. The turn signals work fine that way with the exception of the cancel funtion of course. Also pushing the button in does not cancel it, I have to push it the oposite way to cancel. This leads me to think that the signal cancel switch has failed. Again I'm not sure how I could test that as I don't know how it is supposed to work.
Think you have it. I had this same issue with my '85 1200. The self cancelling function did not work. This is the unit in the steering stem. Replaced it and all is well. Good to have a spare as well, not many of these out there. I would take the existing one out, and then shop for a new/used one to make sure it is exactly what you need - it's about the connection.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 pm I don't think it has an RLU bit if it does have something like that it won't be like the one I posted instructions for bypassing. I suspect it has something like a tail light failure module (the same sort of thing but with no connection to the headlight).
There is a tailight failure module. On my '85 Limited Edition, it's to the right of the battery (towards the rear of the bike). Its a black box about 2" by 3" by 1/2" in size. The system requires a certain amount of load. Changing all the tail and brake lights to LED lights reduces the load sufficiently that the dash indicator should come on. You can use a resistive load to change this, or just leave in 1 original bulb - think 1 bulb does it.

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Oldmannewwinger wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 pm Ok, so I went to NAPA and exchanged the electronic flasher for another style - same resuts. I got a couple of old flashers from a friend that was parting out a GL1200L and neither one of them work. Does anyone know what exactly that blue/black wire does? Rednaxs60 explained that it goes to the signal cancellation circuit, but how would I test that to make sure it's working? Also, wouldn't the flasher work with that wire disconnected, just like a two terminal blinker?
And one more question: How would I set up a test just for the flasher? I hooked up two 1156 bulbs in series and tried to load the flasher but it does nothing. Thanks.
Blue/Black wire goes to the self-cancelling unit in the valve stem. This wire grounds the turn signal circuit cancelling the turn signals. When the turn signal cancel unit is operating correctly, you can cancel the turn signal by pushing on the turn signal switch.

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Rednaxs60 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:42 am There is a tailight failure module. On my '85 Limited Edition, it's to the right of the battery (towards the rear of the bike). Its a black box about 2" by 3" by 1/2" in size. The system requires a certain amount of load. Changing all the tail and brake lights to LED lights reduces the load sufficiently that the dash indicator should come on. You can use a resistive load to change this, or just leave in 1 original bulb - think 1 bulb does it.
That's a lot bigger than the ones I've seen on other Hondas. The one I removed from the Nighthawk I had was about a 1" cube.
Adding a resistor to compensate for the lower current drawn by LED lighting in order to make something you don't really need with the LEDs stop working sounds counter productive to me. What happens if you just unplug the module?

If the turn signal cancelling system on the 1200 is like the one on the 1100 it shuts off way too soon. I often found myself needing to turn the signals back on 2 or 3 times until I got fed up with it and removed the module. Now the signals stay on until I turn them off (not a big deal because I have to do that on the other bike anyway).
Oldmannewwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

Mine was working perfectly and I loved it. How big a job is it to change out that cancel switch?
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I can't say for the 1200 but on the 1100 it was a simple matter of unplugging the module and the signals reverted to fully manual mode.
The 1100's system is connected to the odometer and the steering head angle sensor plus a solenoid in the handlebar switch assembly that releases the turn signal switch. The module counts the distance travelled in a straight line and when it reaches the pre set value for that it momentarily energizes the relay to release the turn signal switch and turn them off.
BTW: After I removed the module I mounted the ballast for the HID headlight in its place. A few years later I changed the handlebar switches and after that I changed to an aftermarket instrument panel. It could be put back to the original configuration but it wouldn't be easy (not that I miss having to keep turning the signals back on while I'm in a turn lane).
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Oldmannewwinger wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:37 pm Mine was working perfectly and I loved it. How big a job is it to change out that cancel switch?
Not too bad. You need to remove the wind protector just above the front fender. You will see the sending unit secured with two screws. Pull the unit down carefully, and expose the connectors. You can also feed some wire from the top of the steering stem to allow you to pull the unit out. Disconnect the unit and replace. Tight spot to work in.

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)