GL1000 dyna black box mounting location

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

kenai
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

GL1000 dyna black box mounting location

Post by kenai »

Where do most folks mount the dyna black box? The 77 has it mounted on the frame under the seat on the edge...any other spots? thxs kenai
2 - 1979 GL1000
1 - 1978
1 - 1977
1 for parts
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL1000 dyna black box mounting location

Post by ericheath »

Most I have seen are somewhere under the left shelter cover. Seems it would be best protected from the elements there. For the black box type, having a good ground for the case is important as well as having a good feed of near 12v. The first spots were to use the turn signals for a feed, but if you lose a signal, you lose ignition. Most now use a “switch on” source to trigger a relay getting a FUSED near the battery to the Dyna. The issue that eventually arises is the ignition path goes through several connectors. A little corrosion in each connector and you can lose enough voltage to cause performance issues.

A potential problem (that maybe someone else can opine) is that if you regulator fails and begins overcharging the battery, will the inline fuse protect the black box. I believe I’ve read Dyna’s are designed to take up to 17v. A failed regulator can surpass that, I’ve done it. Results were not good - ruined black box. So maybe near the battery isn’t as safe as a feed from the fuse box.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi