overheating/NH, MA USA Shop recommendation?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: overheating/NH, MA USA Shop recommendation?

Post by gltriker »

NightSkiesP wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:51 pm

Are those compression readings suspect? The range is supposed to be 150-175 psi, but doesn't say it has to be with or without oil added to the cylinder. A good reference about Engine Cylinders' Compression Testing is this Tech Tip from Randakk. Read. Understand. Follow.
https://www.randakksblog.com/engine-com ... n-testing/ Pay special attention to the details of a proper Cylinder Compression Testing rig. it's Very Important.
Note: Check and adjust valve lash clearance on all 8 valves, FIRST. Although it is controversial, set all 8 valves' lash clearance at 0.006 inch before compression testing, again.

No Oil in the Tested Cylinder. Cold engine. Choke button off. Throttle set wide open.

What ignition system is utilized on this bike's engine?
-The original breaker points and condenser system components? :?: Or some version of an electronic ignition system?
-Original factory installed ignition coils? :?: Or, hopefully, has been upgraded to ignition coils with replaceable spark plug wires?
-Original factory installed spark plug caps? :?:
Last edited by gltriker on Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

The fuel gauges on these bikes are barely adequate enough to tell you that you have fuel in the tank. They are truly just decorative. On my 76 it runs out of gas and requires flipping to reserve after using about 4.3gal of fuel. It takes slightly over 5gal to fill from a dry tank. Cliff made some excellent comments above !

On compression, it’s just a number we’re the compression tester accuracy is suspect. On my 76 that I bought new the compression always read between 135-145psi from new. I did work in an automotive lab for 25+ yrs and did check my compression gauges readout and it was surprisingly accurate.

Anyway it is just a number and if the bike runs well I don’t worry about it much anymore, I did a number of things to my 76 to try and get the compression higher (milled the heads .040in & advanced the cams 4deg) and the end result was that now the compression runs 190-200psi,,,, but one of the best running old wings I know only runs 80 yes 80psi of compression, it’s just a sewing machine.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

You don't even technically need to run it to reserve. Fill it to the top, set the trip at 0000, run it a ways (several dozens of miles, longer is better obviously), fill up again to the top, and divide the miles on the trip meter by the gallons you put in.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

redglbx wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:19 am The fuel gauges on these bikes are barely adequate enough to tell you that you have fuel in the tank. They are truly just decorative.
I've read that many times and I have to say that it is the exact opposite of my experience. Yes, I've only had 2 'Wings but the '77 GL1000 always needed to switch to Reserve just as the needle reached the lower line on the gauge and the '83 GL1100 needed to be switched almost exactly where the needle reached the space between the white and the red.

I think some of the confusion about them comes from the fact that the fuel gauge sender can't reach into the highest part of the tank so you have to use a couple of litres before it starts to move, after which it should move evenly downward.

BTW: When I changed to the Danmoto instrument panel the point where its fuel gauge started flashing was quite a bit above where I needed to switch to Reserve. A few weeks later I pulled into the garage just as it needed to be switched so I was able to tweak the sender's float arm so that the gauge starts flashing just before I need to switch to Reserve.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

My 78 is right on the money. So is my 85.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I sometimes wonder if some of the inaccurate ones are a result of someone trying to make them start to move sooner...
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
NightSkiesP
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by NightSkiesP »

dontwantapickle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:08 am I have used aftermarket solenoids in the past with no issues.
I'm guessing that ain't your problem.

Mileage?
fill it up and take it for a ride. when you hit reserve,
calculate it and you'll know what your bike gets.
(my bike gets 39mpg).

Seriously......
if you can replace a water pump on a oldwing.....
you can fix whatever else might be wrong with your bike.
I'm confident you'll figure it out.

Possibly, your gauges ain't reading right.
Mileage is about 56K I think.

Water pump was the last thing I tried and replaced. Did the seals too of course.. It was moving up/down/left/right (shaft play) when examined from the front, but it was not noisy.
I replaced it with a honda water pump with metal fins. Original was in there and had bakelite fins, that were worn at the edges probably from the front bearing or whatever is in the front. New one has no play whatsoever in the shaft.
Used O'Reily universal silicate and phosphate free coolant. I'm not sure what I used just before this, or what was in the bike when I got it.

I'm fixing the electrical mishap today. The solenoid works when shorted and proceeds to turn the starter. Maybe the ignition, kill, or start button got gubered. That happened on my 400. Will solve it shortly.
Garage is my happy place
I might like the repairing more than the riding?

restored 78 CB400TII
restored 77 GL1000
restoring 79 GL1000
NightSkiesP
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by NightSkiesP »

Welp, more misery.
Installed a brand new battery. Solenoid works fine, but nothing happens on pressing start button. Discovered the reason is that both wires going to the solenoid are 12V when button pressed, and the one that's supposed to be the ground is always 12V with ignition off. Tested the diode and it's bad, but it seems the wire shared with the clutch switch, diode, and solenoid has a short to positive in it anyways (inside the harness).
A closely related wire to this one is a wire I bypassed already because the neutral switch light was permanently grounded somewhere in the harness (only should be grounded by the neutral switch). This seems to be the opposite problem, something permanently hot.

I could just disconnect and patch this wire again, but I have a spare harness (used, and hopefully for this bike year). I'm wondering if it's wise to just unwrap the existing one and get to the bottom of why this harness is having one failure after the next. I would have to somehow check over the used one anyways, so I'm unwrapping a harness either way prolly.

This failure was sudden within the past week sitting in someone else's shop (I had driven it to the shop though). If they figured this out then I guess they were right to say "wiring scary", but they refused to tell me anything when I asked if they noticed something specific.

I'm also going to install a 30A fuse. This one had the dog bone one removed, and I read about someone's harness burning up due to a rectifier failure when they had no main fuse.

After all that, I'm going to do a leak down test, and then see about float levels unless there's something telling about aforementioned test.

Ignition system haven't confirmed what kind of ignition system this has yet. I don't think its aftermarket. I think the ballast resistor has been bypassed though. Maybe it failed. I read that may cause problems with the points sooner. I need to confirm this bypass. I see a 2 wire splice installed outside of one of the plugs. I need to look at that again to confirm. Not really concerned with this at the moment.
Garage is my happy place

restored 78 CB400TII
restored 77 GL1000
restoring 79 GL1000
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

NightSkiesP wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 am

This failure was sudden within the past week sitting in someone else's shop (I had driven it to the shop though). If they figured this out then I guess they were right to say "wiring scary", but they refused to tell me anything when I asked if they noticed something specific. Was their work done, 'no charge'?

After all that, I'm going to do a leak down test, and then see about float levels unless there's something telling about aforementioned test. I'm confused...what is the connection?

Leak down test of what? Cylinders? Carburetors?
Float levels are checked as part of a Complete, and Totally Focused on one thing at a time, carburetors' rebuild session.

Done now
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996

previous rides:
NightSkiesP
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by NightSkiesP »

I figured out the electrical problem. A crimp connector was sandwiched between the battery terminal of the solenoid and the frame. I kinda want to put in a more original solenoid but have to figure out how to mount it...
I'll get back to you guys when I've tried the above things on the mileage/heat issue.
Garage is my happy place

restored 78 CB400TII
restored 77 GL1000
restoring 79 GL1000
NightSkiesP
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by NightSkiesP »

gltriker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:42 am
NightSkiesP wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 am

This failure was sudden within the past week sitting in someone else's shop (I had driven it to the shop though). If they figured this out then I guess they were right to say "wiring scary", but they refused to tell me anything when I asked if they noticed something specific. Was their work done, 'no charge'?

After all that, I'm going to do a leak down test, and then see about float levels unless there's something telling about aforementioned test. I'm confused...what is the connection?

Leak down test of what? Cylinders? Carburetors?
Float levels are checked as part of a Complete, and Totally Focused on one thing at a time, carburetors' rebuild session.

Done now
Yeah luckily they didn't charge me anything. After figuring out the above problem, maybe they were right to be afraid of the wiring, but some of the other things they said "Oh it will catch on fire" really told me they were just adverse to working on something older I think. Another shop in the area said they would see it for diagnosis for me if I wanted. I'm going to try some tests on my own first though.

re:tests

I've compiled the list of advice received so far, I will be trying these things
  • refill the tank, measure gallons, crunch the numbers to find out accurate gas mpg, but I'm pretty sure I did this in the past already.
  • from someone else: actually examine the radiator for damaged fins, dirt, etc. Really basic test here ...
  • check for vacuum leaks at the carbeurator inputs
  • Check carb float levels as this may cause a lean condition (heat). Or maybe rich condition... i dunno. (Carbs were rebuilt already, but I note these are 76 carbs, but the jet spec difference between the rebuild kit, the 76 carbs, and 79 carbs are tiny).
  • do a Engine Cylinder Leakdown Test
  • proper way to do compression test: https://www.randakksblog.com/engine-com ... n-testing/
  • examine cylinder #4 (headgasket or something??)
Garage is my happy place

restored 78 CB400TII
restored 77 GL1000
restoring 79 GL1000
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Overheating...? Might be a silly question, but have you replaced your thermostat?
Gasoline smell/Bad gas mileage: are the carbs idle mixture screws set correctly? (Running rich...?)

I'm just shooting in the dark, here...
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Do you have a "Honda" service manual? Do you know how to interped
it? If so , take one problem at a time, and correct it. If n ot, take the time to learn how to work on your own bike. Shops, in general, will not even look at an older bike. Get your self educated, and you can fix it. They are not that difficult. And if you do, you might be able to make a buck or two, helping others in the same . I'd start by finding a knowledgable NGW member who
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

CYBORG wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:17 pm Do you have a "Honda" service manual? Do you know how to interpret it? If so , take one problem at a time, and correct it. If not, take the time to learn how to work on your own bike. Shops, in general, will not even look at an older bike. Get your self educated, and you can fix it. They are not that difficult. And if you do, you might be able to make a buck or two, helping others in the same . I'd start by finding a knowledgable NGW member who

Here's a link to the official Honda GL1000 Shop Manual
http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/GL10 ... manual.pdf

Yes, I heartily agree with CYBORG. Focus. The Engine troubleshooting should be at the TOP of your list.
Cylinder condition diagnostic procedures require certain tools. You already have the link to Randakk's Compression Testing article. Read. Understand. Follow. - Arbitrarily pulling cylinder heads without justifiable cause, first, is a Bad Practice.

I want to know, who 'restored' the 3 Honda motorcycles you listed in your signature ?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
NightSkiesP
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by NightSkiesP »

I restored the other bikes. First one, I had some guideance and help (2 carburetor CB400TII). 2nd one (the goldwing), alot less help. Took care of the carburetors myself for each one. I've not run into any serious problems yet. After doing tank cleaning, carb cleaning (sometimes more than once), float level, sync and idle adjustments the bikes, they ran well enough. I'm not sure if i checked float level on this one. I usually do, but I forget.

Just haven't run into anything serious yet, or ever had to overhaul an engine. I adjusted valve clearance on the CB400 but never had to touch it otherwise. Gas mileage was fine on the other 2. I think it was something like 20MPG on the 77 goldwing I had. That was okay enough for me at the time, but probably not great in reality.

Re: Idle adjust: I have had trouble doing any kind of idle adjust on this one. The last one I think it didnt really need it. I try to do the drop idle method and I usually get into a situation where the bike dies and won't start again until I reset the screws to factory turns. So I just left it. I think #2 actually was one I had particular trouble with. Dunno if that means anything (the one on the right side (starboard) towards the front of the bike).
Today I will do a leakdown test since I just bought a tester. Nault's in Manchester said they will look at the bike for testing purposes, I am not sure where else to try. Best Cycle turned me down, and another unmentionable shop took the bike then refused to look at it after making me wait for weeks.
Garage is my happy place

restored 78 CB400TII
restored 77 GL1000
restoring 79 GL1000