GL1000 won't idle

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Exupdog
Brass Member
Brass Member

GL1000 won't idle

Post by Exupdog »

Hi again, I'm seeking some guidance from the forum gurus. I posted a short while ago that I'd got my old girl to start after being stood since 1996. She's a 1975 gl1000, that had been standing with a full tank of fuel. It was absolutely stinking and was quickly disposed of in the waste oil tank at work. Unfortunately the carbs had been left full as well and were full of a strange crystallized powder that resisted all my efforts to remove, so I bought a set of carbs from an online auction site. They were said to have been taken from a running bike and when I put them on mine I was able to get it to start. Once it was running I did some renovation on the brakes, but please don't mention the electrics, they were heavily modified by a million mice. I repaired the wiring to restore the spark but there is a complete rewire in her future. However, while she starts readily enough once the choke is off she won't idle. I looked at Randaak's method for carb balancing and found a problem. I can't get any reading on the front right hand carb ( as you sit on the bike ). It's not my gauges as swapping the pipes just gives the same result on a different line, no movement at all. The inlet manifold on that side gets just as warm as the other three and once she's rolling and she hits 1500 revs she goes like a good 'un. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I've managed to ride for about thirty miles with no problems apart from cutting out at road ends and bad down shifts because the throttle response isn't there and I keep clunking the gear changes because of no blip. Thank you.
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: GL1000 won't idle

Post by Shadowjack »

I'm going to assume you didn't clean the new set of carbs you put on, because the no-idle-without-choke is classic plugged idle passages. Every. Single. Case.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

^^^^ this ! Make sure if you spray carb cleaner in the low/idle jet that it comes out of the idle mixture screw hole with the screw removed and out of the metering hole in the carb body that the idle mixture screw goes into.

On the vacuum signal, you are using the port at the bottom of the manifold tube right ? If you remove that screw you should be able to put a wire in there with no resistance until it contacts the other side of the manifold tube. You may need to pull that manifold off and verify that hole is indeed drilled through. By the way the carb on the front RH side (while sitting on the bike) is the #1 cylinder, the one behind it is #3. The left side is #2 at the front & #4 at the rear.

Let us know how you do.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

CLEAN the carbs. Completely. Tear them down, and you will find the problem
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Exupdog
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Exupdog »

Thank you for the input, its much appreciated. Sounds like a carb removal and clean is in order which, if I'm honest, is probably beyond my talents. I did indeed just stick the carbs on without any measure of tinkering, I was playing the mindless optimism card and hoping that because they "came from a running bike" I might get away with it. I obviously haven't so I need to source someone with the necessary abilities. This is where all you people with skills come forward and say that it is perfectly doable. I'm an electrician, electrical things hold no fears for me, complicated things like banks of carburetors scare me a little. I've read that the refurbishment is a complicated procedure, so I'm even wary of people who have carb servicing companies. Time to do some homework. Again, thank you all for your advice and patience.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Old Fogey is up Glasgow way and runs a small Carb etc.. overhaul business https://www.wingovations.com/ is his site. Here in the States we recommend contacting robin1731 https://ngwclub.com/forum/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=1247
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Old Fogey or other true expert GoldWing mechanics are the way to go. If you think the local mechanic who has never rebuilt a GL1000 rack but says "sure, I can do it", please read up and do it yourself. There are a few good articles online. Many great hints - like 'don't separate the two carbs on a side - leave the garnish to hold them together'. Not real complex, just 4x the work.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
todd54219
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by todd54219 »

Randakks sells a rebuild kit and a dvd that walks you thru from removing them from the bike to syncing them. Around $200 but well worth it if you want to do the carbs yourself. If you have some skills, the will to do it and can follow direction, do them yourself. I did and it made a huge difference.
Todd54219 - Common sense is not so common anymore
1976 Yellow GL1000
1966 White Honda CA95 (Baby Dream) under restoration - Done and sold