Another Weird Oil Problem - Fizzy Oil!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Another Weird Oil Problem - Fizzy Oil!

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Okay, this is a first for me - I went out to the garage to tinker with Rusty, my '78 GL1000.

Yesterday, after draining the oil/ATF mix I refilled the bike with 10w-40 and installed a new filter but did not start it.

Today, I went out, checked the oil, it was nice and clear, saw that it was between the lines, near the top/full, so started the bike up. I am actually investigating a weird noise on the right side, which I have pretty much determined is a stuck/rusted-in tachometer tab - that little flat blade that sticks out of the worm-drive housing that the tach cable connects to...

Anyway - yes, she started, I ran it for a bit listening to a grinding noise which I determined to be coming from the tach housing; no biggie. I turned the bike off and noticed that the oil I had put in last night was nowhere to be seen.

Thinking that maybe it was just because the oil had spun into the filter - like when you change the oil in a car, you always have to add more after you spin it over - I added some more; not much, maybe a little over a pint - and noticed that the oil now showing up in the window looked weird - like, 'golden'...so I drained it and found this:
ImageDSCN2461 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

That's not water - it's AIR! It came out of there looking like spun honey...I put some into a container and looked at it on the bench, under a magnifying glass, and it was popping just like soda pop!
ImageDSCN2463 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

I of course did some quick research and found that I may have overfilled it...? I didn't run it long, and the oil itself was cold, having sat outside in the case overnight - I have never seen anything like this before - what's going on? Did I just add too much to it?

***UPDATE*** Went back out after I wrote this, and it's back to normal, no bubbles or chocolate milk or anything, just oil, thankfully. I have never seen anything like that though. What's the deal?
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Another Weird Oil Problem - Fizzy Oil!

Post by 5speed »

sounds like it was over full and was being stirred up by the crank shaft.
I'd drain off a bit, fire it up and see if it does it again.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
eades473
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by eades473 »

At the risk of being obvious, did you fill the oil while the bike was on the sidestand or centerstand? if on the sidestand the level in the window would appear low but actually be overfilled. Forgive me if this sounds too oversimplified.
riding the **** out of it!
1977 Naked
2012 Ultra Classic Limited
1999 Valkyrie
1981 Shovelhead springer
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

5speed: I think that's what it was too; as mentioned, I went out a bit later and checked it and it had reverted back to its regular oily self, so I put it back in and measured well, no problems. Apparently, this is a thing though, there's quite a few sites dedicated to this phenomenon - google "aerated oil" if you're interested. It looks just like what I had.

Eades: no worries - no, my bike has been on the center stand for quite some time.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:19 am 5speed: I think that's what it was too; as mentioned, I went out a bit later and checked it and it had reverted back to its regular oily self, so I put it back in and measured well, no problems. Apparently, this is a thing though, there's quite a few sites dedicated to this phenomenon - google "aerated oil" if you're interested. It looks just like what I had.

Eades: no worries - no, my bike has been on the center stand for quite some time.
it can be very bad juju if you drive it like that. It's possible that it becomes so foamy the pick up tube/ pump won't do it's thing.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

The proper liquid measure is 3.5L for any of the Goldwing engines from GL1000 to GL1200. Putting another 1litre into a full engine as you Googled led to the oil being overfull.

What works for me.
Napa sells a large plastic oil pour container with a decent side handle that takes about 5 L max and has a nice 6” top spout for pouring. Easy to measure and fill to the 3.5L level on the side measurements and fill the motor correctly every time.
Last edited by flyin900 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

You could also check the site glass on the 1000, or the dip stick on the 1200. Add a couple of liters, run the engine a few minutes, and check the level,... top off. Works will especially if yojur away your home shop
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

Yep, like 5speed said , it's aerated oil from over filling, the crank creates tiny air bubbles in the oil, it starves the top end of oil basically.....seen this in heavy equipment a bunch of times...very hard on overhead cams, wears the lobes out from a lack of oiling. Not a good thing . Just drain the oil out and let it sit for a few days and/or replace the oil and save the oil you drained out for the next oil change, by that time all the bubbles will be gone.
Have fun !
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

On Rusty, you would be wise to get as much of the dirty oil out as you can. When you drain a GL1000 on a level surface, you leave between 1/2 to 1 quart of oil in the rear compartment of the engine. Try this, and you will see what I am saying is true. Drain it and then put the plug back in. Then get the rear wheel a couple of feet higher than the front wheel. Not easy, but this will help get it out. Now drain the oil again in to a clean container and let it sit like this for hours draining slowly. After it stops dripping, which will take all day probably, post how much came out. The bad news is there is still a lot more in the rear after you do this procedure. If you raise the rear wheel another foot, a steady stream of oil will start flowing. I have been amazed at how much oil gets stuck in the rear of this engine.
Last edited by cfairweather on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

And how do you safely lift 567 lbs from the rear only? It's on a lift table with nothing above it to attach it to, and even if I could, the 'sphincter factor' would be quite high, I would imagine. Balancing 567 lbs of big motorcycle on the front tire to shake out 1/2 to 1 quart of old oil seems like an unreasonable risk to me.

For instance, when I put new tires on my red '75 and attempted to set the bead, I was able to put in 55 lbs of pressure in the front tire before I chickened out and took the wheels and tires to a shop. That sucker was tight! In the course of doing this in the shop, the guy said it took NINETY POUNDS of pressure before it seated! They were nervous too...!
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

:) Now that was funny. I didn't say it would be safe. I did this once using a hoist and some "balancing blocks", but it looked like an accident waiting for a place to happen. We wouldn't want to injure Rusty so I don't blame you for being hesitant.

On the tire pressure, I stop at about 60-70 pounds. Yes, it makes you nervous.
joecoolsuncle
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by joecoolsuncle »

letting air out of front tire, and pulling hard on the tie straps will get you closer.
joecoolsuncle
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by joecoolsuncle »

5speed wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:10 pm
Dr. Frankenstein wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:19 am 5speed: I think that's what it was too; as mentioned, I went out a bit later and checked it and it had reverted back to its regular oily self, so I put it back in and measured well, no problems. Apparently, this is a thing though, there's quite a few sites dedicated to this phenomenon - google "aerated oil" if you're interested. It looks just like what I had.

it can be very bad juju if you drive it like that. It's possible that it becomes so foamy the pick up tube/ pump won't do it's thing.
yeah. destroy the pump gerotors in short time. bearings shortly after. air is not a lubricant
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Cedric: "Safety Third", I suppose... (As opposed to 'First'... lolol )!

joecoolsuncle: I had to look that one up! I never knew that had an actual name...I just call it the oil pump rotor. ('The More You Know', I guess... :-D )
"A gerotor is a positive displacement pump. The name gerotor is derived from "generated rotor". A gerotor unit consists of an inner and outer rotor. The inner rotor has n teeth, while the outer rotor has n+1 teeth; with n defined as a natural number greater than or equal to 2."

Re: the oil, currently the previously fizzy oil I put back in looks fine after I let it sit for a while. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for color and change it out when I have to and not try to play Hercules. The world is filled with examples of people whose last words were "Here, hold my beer...watch this!"
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I’m safe I guess … I rarely let anyone else hold my beer …

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F