Bike Dies When Start Button Released

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bike Dies When Start Button Released

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Another problem for 'Rusty,' my 78 GL1000...

I put the oil back in Rusty and started her up, just lubing the internals; oil looks good, no more bubbles...but she's idling along fine, I'm revving the engine occasionally, just lubing her up. She's idling fine for about, oh, 5 - 7 minutes, and then dies. Thinking she was just out of gas, I took a peek inside the tank - gas is fine. Half a tank. Plenty of flow through the line.

I try to start her up and she does, but the second I take my finger off the Start button, she dies. The bike will run with it pressed in, but release it and she dies.

I'm thinking a connection in the starter button assembly...? It's not the ballast resistor, I'm running electronic ignition and took that out...

A little more information: I just went out and started her again like normal - pressed but did not hold the Start button, she starts and runs fine for about 2 - 3 minutes, then dies. She's getting gas, FWIW the Temperature gauge is nowhere near 'Hot'...same problem repeats itself, though - she'll fire if you hold in the starter button, dies when you release it. A bad ground, maybe...? There's something in my brain that tells me this is really simple...
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Bike Dies When Start Button Released

Post by Oldboy »

Kill switch?
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

:-D
Last edited by gltriker on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

I would check the connections where you eliminated the ballast resister.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

ritalz wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:12 pm I would check the connections where you eliminated the ballast resister.
action1 action1 action1 action1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

..."check the connections where you eliminated the ballast resister."
So that might have something to do with the intermittent stalling...? In this pic the yellow and blue wires come from the coils and go into their respective slots, and that black loop is the two spots where the old ballast resistor plugged in. As per cfairweather's instructions, I effectively looped/joined those two wires together, bypassing the resistor.
ImageDSCN2321 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

The only thing I can think of is that black plastic connector seems a bit loose, so I will check it out, see if I can't tighten it up a bit. I did take it apart and clean all the male connections shiny-bright, so maybe some are not in their respective female connectors when I reattached it, or maybe crud on the inside of the female parts. I did spray them all down with CRC contact cleaner though...I have a whole container of matching spade connectors, so I might just change out the whole thing to get a tight, clean fit, but I will as usual report back.

Hmmm...although the more I look at it, the more it seems like those two black wires are sitting proud of their slots...look at how deep the yellow and blue wires go compared to the black ones...I thought I had them in there all nice and tight, but I'll double-check those. But would the bike still start if those were not making contact...?

Cliff, that's a nice test probe you have there...what/how are you suggesting I probe, specifically?
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

When it dies is the headlight on and fairly bright like when it’s running ?
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi Red; I think so...the headlight cuts out when I press the button but comes back on when I release it - but I will double-check and report.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

That is normal. The Start button has a second set of contacts that turns off the headlight while the Starter motor is running so that more power is available for the starter.

Have a look at the wiring drawing for your model (if you don't have the colour version follow the link in my signature to get it).
In the stock configuration as shown in the drawing, when you are not pressing the Start button power from the black wire (switched power) goes to the kill switch (engine stop switch) via the resistor and from the kill switch to the coils (in your case it would go to the kill switch via the jumper wire you installed in place of the resistor).
When you press the Start button power from the black wire (switched power) is sent to the solenoid ("starter magnetic switch"), which in turn allows power to go to the starter motor. BUT power also goes via the diode to the kill switch (without passing through the resistor) and from the kill switch to the coils.

That means that there will be power to the coils (& thus spark) while you hold the button even if the resistor (or your jumper to bypass it) is completely missing but once you release the button there will be no power to the coils if there is something wrong with the jumper or the way it is connected.

I would start by checking if the ends of that jumper are plugged onto the mating connector properly and if the terminals are connected to the wire properly.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

^^^ what Bob said !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold