76 LTD gremlins.... part two: neural light

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

76 LTD gremlins.... part two: neural light

Post by rcmatt007 »

it always has been on. When I did all the other work I replaced the two diodes as well as the neutral light switch...

it still is on....
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: 76 LTD gremlins.... part two: neural light

Post by Fred Camper »

Is the little post on the switch stuck up, like I am?
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

on the neutral switch? it is brand new, or do mean on the clutch switch (cannot see it)
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Yes, neutral switch. I know it is new, but that does not mean it is good. What is the continuity when you probe the contact on it? It should be a ground when in neutral and open to ground when in gear.

The clutch switch does let the starter work, but does not change the neutral light indicator.

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

dumb question, but how do I check that (says the guy who knows how to check prostates)
-Rodger-
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Get out your trusty Multimeter. Put it on continuity position on the dial. Start with the bike in first gear. Put one probe on the neutral switch contact and one on the engine bolt right next to it. It is a pain to get a probe on the screw in the top of the neutral switch. But I found I can get a probe on it from the front. Put the second probe on the engine bolt just to the left of the switch. It it reads near zero, and not open, then the switch or wiring is reporting the bike is in neutral when it is not. If it reads 1____ then it shows it open and the switch and wiring is not at fault.
Last edited by Fred Camper on Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

The path from the neutral light to the switch is grounded somewhere in between. If the clutch switch works properly, it's grounded before it joins the diode.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Shadowjack wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:20 am The path from the neutral light to the switch is grounded somewhere in between. If the clutch switch works properly, it's grounded before it joins the diode.
could be, after all the wiring is ONLY 40+ years old
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well, I did find the wire off the neutral switch was pinched between the radiator and the timing belt covers.... but that wasn't it
-Rodger-
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Well, easier to keep tracing that wire back up to the cluster than messing with the new neutral switch so I would suggest you just keep at it. But if that pinch was not the only ground, it still needed to be fixed before it did ground out on its own. I would suggest replacing that lead but getting that connector off the neutral switch and a new wire on it would be a bugger to do.

Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

I just taped it over.................
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Yeah I will cut and splice and run it back where it supposed to be
-Rodger-
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This drawing shows the Starter & Charging circuit, including the neutral light (connectors &c omitted for clarity)

As you can see, if you unplug the starter circuit diode there won't be anything in the neutral light circuit except the light, the switch and some wires & connectors so I'd start by pulling that diode to eliminate the diode and anything on the other side of it (the transmission should be in gear for all of this).
If the problem goes away with the diode unplugged test the diode.
If the problem persists the next step is to disconnect the wire from the neutral switch (yes, I know that's a pain with the engine in the frame)(see if you can find a hex head screw for when you put it back together) and see if the light goes out.
If the light goes out when the wire is disconnected the problem is probably the switch.
If not I'd follow the wire from the engine to the light and unplug each connector it goes through. When the light goes off the problem is between that connector and the one before.

Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Rodger, did you ever find the issue or is the light still on? Replacing the wire with a new one is the most likely fix.

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

We were on the road. my plan is to cut the pinched wire to the neutral switch. if the light is still on, the switch is not the problem. I will re route it and make sure the pinched part is insulated.

We were out to southern AZ. and saw several NP's.... follow on facebook
-Rodger-