Ural electric hack

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ural electric hack

Post by calif wingnut »

x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Ural electric hack

Post by x01660 »

I'd be all over that like flies circling a dung beetle's labor of effort!
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

Cool.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Wasn't much of a review, just blah, blah, blah.

Bike looks cheaply made to me.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

hmm, I might be interested depending upon their price point.
I have a few days experience on a hack...

https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9321

... and I like the way they ride/drive. might have to stop by our local Ural dealer and find out more. better yet, I'm only a couple of hours from Redmond. hmm.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I am far less impressed with the reviewer than I am with the machine. He sounds like he has never operated a sidecar outfit before and really, after parking in front of a door and plugging in with the cord across where anyone coming & going from that door had to step over the cord, he was surprised that someone unplugged it? Give me a break....
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

I thought this was a better article https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/t ... -prototype . Makes a lot of sense to me!
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Much better.

BTW: One of my biggest concerns about electric bikes is what will happen to the batteries when the bike is parked for up to 6 months at a time. Lots of lead acid bike batteries are ruined every year because people don't realize that batteries need maintenance whether you use them or not but I don't know if the ones used in electrics would be susceptible to the same sort of deterioration during storage.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

Sidecar Bob wrote:Much better.

BTW: One of my biggest concerns about electric bikes is what will happen to the batteries when the bike is parked for up to 6 months at a time. Lots of lead acid bike batteries are ruined every year because people don't realize that batteries need maintenance whether you use them or not but I don't know if the ones used in electrics would be susceptible to the same sort of deterioration during storage.
that's why, so far, I'm impressed with the LiFePo batteries I have (two). check the VDC potential diff occasionally & they've always been good after 6-12 months of sitting without charging. but I have not used them in a deep cycle application.

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

agreed, RevZilla is a much better article.

now I definitely want to drop down to the Redmond Ural HQ.

H2G2=42

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

I drove a hack once; a CB750 F1 with a Squire chair. I still get the shakes when I think about it! :shock: :IDTS:
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Sidecar Bob wrote:BTW: One of my biggest concerns about electric bikes is what will happen to the batteries when the bike is parked for up to 6 months at a time. Lots of lead acid bike batteries are ruined every year because people don't realize that batteries need maintenance whether you use them or not but I don't know if the ones used in electrics would be susceptible to the same sort of deterioration during storage.
That is actually one of the advantages of lithium batteries. They can sit for weeks and months and not loose voltage or require any maintenance. I've had a lithium in my CB-1 now for 3 years, have never put it on a tender, have let it sit for 3 months without starting it, and gone out and it never fails to happily crank away when I ask it. If they have a weakness it is cold weather, but I believe that can be mitigated by turning the bike on and letting it run all the lights for a couple minutes to warm up before cranking. Doesn't get cold enough here in SoCal to verify that though.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

One of the joys of owning a sidecar outfit is playing in the snow and being able to ride when the 2 wheeled crowd are sidelined by weather. But cold weather means that you want to be stuck somewhere with no power and from what I've read the range per charge of most electric vehicles halves when it is cold. (Yes, I know that this is exactly the opposite of my previous concern about long term disuse).
Old Fogey wrote:I drove a hack once; a CB750 F1 with a Squire chair. I still get the shakes when I think about it! :shock: :IDTS:
One of the biggest problems people have with sidecar outfits is that they expect it to be a motorcycle with an accessory when it is in fact a completely different vehicle that happens to include a motorcycle. About all it has in common with a bike is where the controls are. I always tell people that an outfit is as different from a car as a bike is and as different from a bike as a car is.

I'd bet you weren't given any instruction on how to drive it before you were let loose to play in traffic either. Assuming that someone can drive an outfit because they know how to ride a motorcycle is like assuming that someone who can ride a bicycle can drive a car without being shown how.

Also, any outfit is only as good as the person that set it up and I've heard horror stories about people that were supposed to be "professional sidecar installers" who made some pretty basic errors that resulted in dangerous handling. While that does occasionally happen with Urals it is less likely simply because the bike and sidecar are designed to go together so at least some of the adjustments are factory set and can't be changed.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

"I'd bet you weren't given any instruction on how to drive it before you were let loose to play in traffic either. Assuming that someone can drive an outfit because they know how to ride a motorcycle is like assuming that someone who can ride a bicycle can drive a car without being shown how."
Years ago a friend of mine learned this difference the hard way. He purchased a Goldwing with a side car and promptly wrecked it on the way home, ending up in the hospital for several days.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: