Bad influence on my kids

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bad influence on my kids

Post by Graham Cracker »

Bureaucracy at its finest. Hang in there. Unfortunately an unscrupulous minority have made it hard for the majority of us honest folks. fly into a rage
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Graham Cracker wrote:Bureaucracy at its finest. Hang in there. Unfortunately an unscrupulous minority have made it hard for the majority of us honest folks. fly into a rage
Isn't that the truth, lol. Perseverance will succeed! Another one saved!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

wow...up here if you don't have the title, you get a form from the DMV, fill it out, get a police officer to sign the form that you are in possession of the vehicle and it wasn't reported stolen and you're done.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

JSBail wrote:snip...….. Why my son didn't get a bill of sale in the first place will be a lesson learned for him.
You usually don't need a bill of sale. The title has all the info on it you need. Just that in this case,as you said, he made a mistake.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

5speed wrote:wow...up here if you don't have the title, you get a form from the DMV, fill it out, get a police officer to sign the form that you are in possession of the vehicle and it wasn't reported stolen and you're done.
Oh geez I wish it were that easy here. If I had known who the last registered owner of the bike was it wouldn't have been so bad although it still may have cost me $300 by the time all was said and done. The previous owner of the 400 did give me the name of the fellow he had gotten it from 20 years earlier however it was never clear if that person ever registered the bike either nor could I find him and the previous owner who claimed the guy was a close family friend was absolutely no help in finding him either. Even if he bike was still on record the BMV as it's known here wouldn't have told me who that last registered owner was due to privacy laws however when I had the police check it out to verify whether it was stolen or not told me he would tell me if it any info showed up but no further info showed up other than the fact that it has never been reported stolen which meant it must've been a long time since it was last registered so no name showed up. I could've gotten a court order without contacting that last registered owner however I must show that I've done my very best to find that person and a title search which I hadn't done yet may have given me the info I needed. It's funny how they won't give out names due to privacy laws but they will for a fee. What REALLY aggravated me was that the local BMV couldn't answer all my questions nor did they know who I could contact that could answer my questions which was basically how exactly do I find out who the last registered owner was? Without having an answer left me unsure what to do next.
Scott
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Become friends with a used car dealer. One of the smaller guys that usually just deal in auction cars and the one's the bigger places don't want to deal with. They can help you get a title fairly easy and cheap.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

robin1731 wrote:
JSBail wrote:snip...….. Why my son didn't get a bill of sale in the first place will be a lesson learned for him.
You usually don't need a bill of sale. The title has all the info on it you need. Just that in this case,as you said, he made a mistake.

Actually getting a bill of sale although not required if the title is legit it's still a good idea especially if you are the seller. My insurance agent told me that say someone buys your car/bike but drags their feet getting the title in their name yet gets in a wreck with it then the insurance company will be going after you being it's still in your name. A bill of sale however that's been signed by both the seller and buyer is the proof you need to show a transfer of ownership has been made therefore you're not responsible for it anymore. He told me how he had a customer who sold his car but the buyer got into a wreck with it before registering it in his name, the insurance company came after him first but being he had the forethought to make out a bill of sale cleared him of any liability. Once my insurance agent told me that I insist on a bill of sale regardless if I'm the buyer or seller.
Scott
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

JSBail wrote:
robin1731 wrote:

Actually getting a bill of sale although not required if the title is legit it's still a good idea especially if you are the seller. My insurance agent told me that say someone buys your car/bike but drags their feet getting the title in their name yet gets in a wreck with it then the insurance company will be going after you being it's still in your name. A bill of sale however that's been signed by both the seller and buyer is the proof you need to show a transfer of ownership has been made therefore you're not responsible for it anymore. He told me how he had a customer who sold his car but the buyer got into a wreck with it before registering it in his name, the insurance company came after him first but being he had the forethought to make out a bill of sale cleared him of any liability. Once my insurance agent told me that I insist on a bill of sale regardless if I'm the buyer or seller.
+1 on that... saved me a huge 'recovery fee' and fine after a car I sold ended up in the local lake...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

As far as checking for a bike that has been stolen or has a salvage title, it is easy and free.
https://www.nicb.org/how-we-help/vincheck.

In Ohio, let's say that someone rode a bike without a title on your farm and just dumped it. Legally, you cannot even move it off your place. However, let's say that you own a rental storage unit and a bike gets left there. As I understand it, once you check for a stolen title, you pay a court fee and advertise in the local paper two weeks in a row that the abandoned bike must be legally claimed. The Judge has a hearing and may issue a new title if the police determine the bike was not stolen. Then you take the title and go to the BMV and get a replacement title. I have not done it, but I have a couple of nice parts bikes that i should do it with.

The common man cannot do this--just rental unit guys and mechanics who get stuck with old cars that people do not pick up after they cannot afford repair bills to the car. At least if you use VINcheck, you will already know if the project is worth pursuing. Maybe if you read between the lines, you can come up with some ideas. I think that the next time I see a legal notice advertising a court hearing on a vehicle title, I will attend the hearing and see first hand how it works

Return to “General Motorcycle Forum”