I Have A Dream... (literally)

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: I Have A Dream... (literally)

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Not much movement on this project yet (other than arguing with handlebar options- I'm honestly at the point where I'm considering re-chroming my originals), but I am picking up bits and pieces where I can if I find them. The latest purchase? The air filter cover.

Generally you don't see these too often because they are hidden behind a sidecover AND the battery, and they don't do much except blank off the end of the air filter, which fills 99% of the existing space anyway. So when they DO show up (which isn't often, because most threw them away), they command stupid-high prices for the restoration crowd.

I'd always kind of wanted one (for completeness sake), but wasn't willing to pay the $100+ going rate. Thankfully, this one came up for less than a quarter of that, so I snagged it.

Fun fact- there's no fasteners for it. The only thing that holds it on is the battery and the battery holder. But if it works, it works.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Lucien Harpress
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Since my GL1000 project is tentatively reaching the finish line, I think it's time to start getting serious about this Dream. My winter is booked solid with sorting my CB750 out, but I'd like to at least get the frame and bodywork for the CA77 apart, cleaned, and painted (if only to help preserve it) before fall. Having torn apart my parts bike, I feel like I can get it apart relatively quickly.

A lot of stuff will be after the 750 work- engine, wheels, wiring, etc. But I figure if I can get a clean, painted roller by winter, I can work on the rest whenever I get time and money.

I hope to start next week, so we'll see.

MaxB_Wings2
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by MaxB_Wings2 »

I remember when my brother had a 305 super hawk. It was cool looking bike.
Lucien Harpress
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

I gave my GL1000 about 150 miles to make sure it was truly fixed, and after being a good good boy I figured it was time to slide up the next project.

Things went pretty smoothly so far, with no major surprises. There's a bit more chrome damage on the right muffler than I anticipated, but it shouldn't be too visible on the bike. I'm also going to have to figure out how to separate the mufflers from the headers, as my bike has the one-piece exhaust system. But overall, nothing too crazy yet.

Also, knowing how hard it is to find the lower chain guard, I couldn't resist getting a photo of both my sets.

Next up is all the electrical stuff. I'm replacing the wiring harness, so I don't feel too bad about keeping wires straight right now, but I want to box up all the smaller bits a bit better than just "throw them on a shelf". And all the springs and stuff down by the swingarm and center stand attachments? Yeah, THAT'S going to be an adventure. But I'm still happy with the progress.

Lucien Harpress
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

So, I'm to the point where I need to start taking notes. All the electrical is out, and appears to be in good shape, considering. I'd like to get a new coil, but the original seems serviceable in case I can't. The lower mount for the center stand, swingarm, foot pegs, and rear brake is still a nightmare, though. Even the assembly to make the rear brake light switch work involves at least two more extra levers than I was anticipating. It's going to be a lot of reference pictures for that, I think.

With any luck, I'll have the engine out by the middle of the week. Not sure how deep I plan on going into that- compression seems good, but a top-end rebuild seems prudent. It also gives me the chance to clean up and get the engine to a stock finish (bare aluminum on the case and jugs- silver paint on the sidecovers- polished aluminum stator covers). Still, that's a later project. The current goal is to get a painted roller, even on less-than-perfect tires for now.