Motorcycle towing a trailer equipped with electric brakes

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Roger
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Motorcycle towing a trailer equipped with electric brakes

Post by Roger »

I own a couple of naked wings, but have a "heavy hauler" with saddle bags. It is a 2004 Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I recently bought a "bunkhouse" camper from Craigs List from a very nice guy in Vermont. The camper is a 1998 and is equipped with electric drum brakes. I intend to tow the camper with the Yamaha and am seeking information concerning the use of electric brakes with a motorcycle tow vehicle. If anyone has any 1st hand or even 2 hand knowledge -- pros, cons, or horror stories, I would like to hear them. I don't want to find myself in a a heap along side of a New Hampshire mountain road because I didn't ask a question about the brakes. The camper feels very light whe pulled behind my Subaru Baja but may feel much heavier behind the bike... thats why I need to know if hooking them up is necessary, optional (or essential)

All input is (as always) greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Roger Baker
1978 GL1000 Yellow Stripper
1976 GL1000 Red Stripper
Worcester, Massachusetts
ImageImage
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Motorcycle towing a trailer equipped with electric brake

Post by JBz »

ive traveled across the US with a couple riders with bunkhouses but they were with the trike kits that use the factory rear drive wheel not really trike cause of 4 wheels. One time In Kentucky they had to lock them up at fairly high speed and the trailer brakes saved a lot of hurt. I believe there was a adjustment for the amoint of trailer braking they wanted Ive seen people hauling bunkhouses with GL1500s and no brakes and personally thats darn near suicide to me with that much weight pushing you. Personally ive just pulled small 2 wheel and one wheel trailers and thats enough for me. JB
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I've seen this discussion on other boards mostly involving GL1800s. The consensus was without brakes because if that trailer ever got out of line with the bike like in a curve or turn and brakes applied it could jerk the rear end of the bike around.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

I once towed my Volvo with my Norton, this sounds much the same to me.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
starket

Post by starket »

From looking at the Bunkhouse web site, the current trailers weigh between 180lbs and 340lbs. I am going to assume yours weighs somewhere in that range. Not much different than the HF trailers with a box on top and those don't have brakes. I also found the following on the Bunkhouse website.

In the past B&F Specialties has offered “Electric” brakes for our trailers. Some time ago, the manufacturer of the brake units issued an “Alert Letter” stating they do not recommend using brakes on a trailer pulled behind a motorcycle with their brake systems. Since they were the only manufacturer who offered electric brakes, and would not assume any liability with respect to their brakes behind a motorcycle, a problem had arisen. Since they, the axle manufacturer, and therefore B&F Specialties would no longer assume liability for those systems behind a motorcycle, we, B&F Specialties, have chosen to use an alternative system. We have tested and used this new system with the safety of our customers in mind.

The “new” brake system we are using is an ELECTRIC/HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE SYSTEM, NOT an electric or a hydraulic surge system. We feel this is also a more positive system, no magnets to replace, and a system that has worked for years in other auto and trailer systems. The system consists of hydraulic brake units such as those on a auto, and a hydraulic pump mounted in the rear of the trailer. The brakes being applied on the motorcycle activate the unit. A pressure-regulated pump with a valve, that is adjustable, controls the amount of brake applied. Simply load your trailer as always, adjust the pressure, and you’re ready to go. Assuming that you regularly load your trailer the same, no further adjustments should be necessary, if however, you feel that your load is significantly lower or higher, simply adjust very slightly to apply more or less pressure to the brakes. We understand this system is costly, but you should and must understand, that it is more reliable, positive, and a safer system for behind a motorcycle. This system is designed to stop the trailer from pushing the motorcycle, not to stop the trailer or bike/trailer combination.
Steve Tarket
1975 GL1000 Restoration
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 - Jigsaw +
Proud Member of the NGW Cartel
Roger
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Roger »

Thank you for your information:

I too have been in contact with B & F, the folks that manufacture the Bunkhouse Camper. You are correct about the weight and the size. I read about the new style electric over hydraulic brake system now installed in their camper line. Not sure if a retro-fit would be cost effective or even possible on mine. A representative from B & F gave me a very serious warning about using the older electric system, but also was informed that there was a lot of older rolling stock out there with electric brakes and they work just fine. I personally have towed a "Time Out" camper (the big one) from Boston to Seattle and back. I did this with a 1200 Goldwing. The Time Out camper did not have brakes....

I have a heavier bike with more power. I shouldn't have any more issues with the "Bunkhouse camper" than I had with the "Time Out". They weigh about the same and are approxamately the same dementions so I am probably NOT going to hook up the brakes. I would like to continue hearing from riders that have a Bunkhouse camper, or a trailer they pull with a similar electric braking system.

Thanks again

Roger
Roger Baker
1978 GL1000 Yellow Stripper
1976 GL1000 Red Stripper
Worcester, Massachusetts
ImageImage
John Williamson
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by John Williamson »

starket wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 am From looking at the Bunkhouse web site, the current trailers weigh between 180lbs and 340lbs. I am going to assume yours weighs somewhere in that range. Not much different than the HF trailers with a box on top and those don't have brakes. I also found the following on the Bunkhouse website.

In the past B&F Specialties has offered “Electric” brakes for our trailers. Some time ago, the manufacturer of the brake units issued an “Alert Letter” stating they do not recommend using brakes on a trailer pulled behind a motorcycle with their brake systems. Since they were the only manufacturer who offered electric brakes, and would not assume any liability with respect to their brakes behind a motorcycle, a problem had arisen. Since they, the axle manufacturer, and therefore B&F Specialties would no longer assume liability for those systems behind a motorcycle, we, B&F Specialties, have chosen to use an alternative system. We have tested and used this new system with the safety of our customers in mind.

The “new” brake system we are using is an ELECTRIC/HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE SYSTEM, NOT an electric or a hydraulic surge system. We feel this is also a more positive system, no magnets to replace, and a system that has worked for years in other auto and trailer systems. The system consists of hydraulic brake units such as those on a auto, and a hydraulic pump mounted in the rear of the trailer. The brakes being applied on the motorcycle activate the unit. A pressure-regulated pump with a valve, that is adjustable, controls the amount of brake applied. Simply load your trailer as always, adjust the pressure, and you’re ready to go. Assuming that you regularly load your trailer the same, no further adjustments should be necessary, if however, you feel that your load is significantly lower or higher, simply adjust very slightly to apply more or less pressure to the brakes. We understand this system is costly, but you should and must understand, that it is more reliable, positive, and a safer system for behind a motorcycle. This system is designed to stop the trailer from pushing the motorcycle, not to stop the trailer or bike/trailer combination.
I really don't have the technical understanding of the BRAKE system that may be comprised of a Hydraulic/Electric system and how does it work? Yet I am glad after reading this information because I have a Bunkhouse and Yamaha XSR155. Yet, I have a plan to move to Kentucky with both yet I need to learn some technical points of towing my bike with my bunkhouse. Yet I have another option to take a self-balancing scooter along with me which is also feasible for me. If you know something about self-balancing scooter that has 8km/hour speed with an electric motor.
CYBORG

Re: Motorcycle towing a trailer equipped with electric brakes

Post by CYBORG »

This is a pretty old thread. Perhaps some of the previous posters could post any updates
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200