powder coating question

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

custom shadow
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: www.custompolishing.freeservers.com

powder coating question

Post by custom shadow »

had my gl1200 brake calipers powder coated and the guy got blast in piston chambers is this a bad thing or will they be ok? any help please
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: powder coating question

Post by robin1731 »

Don't know. If it is thick enough it could cause interference problems with the piston. I also don't know if long term exposure to brake fluid would harm the powder. You could use silicone brake fluid to maybe eliminate that.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

So, your saying that when the parts were blasted, some of the media got into the piston chambers and did.....what? Is it badly damaged or is there just a small blemish to the wall? Either way, I don't think you're going to know how bad it is until you've reassembled them and at least done a stationary test to see if the piston moves and the pads back off the rotor. The damage is done, the question is, how bad is it?
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Placerville wrote:So, your saying that when the parts were blasted, some of the media got into the piston chambers and did.....what? Is it badly damaged or is there just a small blemish to the wall? Either way, I don't think you're going to know how bad it is until you've reassembled them and at least done a stationary test to see if the piston moves and the pads back off the rotor. The damage is done, the question is, how bad is it?

OOPS! I was thinking they got some powdercoat in the piston area. DOH!!!!!!!!

Let me say this. I have used my bead blaster to clean the brake caliper piston area's. But, most/many powder coaters use sand to blast the parts. Which is harsher on the surface. I don't think you'll have any trouble though. As long as like Placerville said they didn't get carried away.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
custom shadow
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by custom shadow »

thanks guys. i should have explained a little better he did get blast in the chambers and instead of the smooth and polished bore it is like 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

custom shadow wrote:thanks guys. i should have explained a little better he did get blast in the chambers and instead of the smooth and polished bore it is like 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper

Yeah, I think it will be fine. Like I said I sometimes do mine with the bead blaster.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

put the pistons in there dry and with out the seals...
See if they slide smoothly in the bores
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

run a fine emery cloth around the inside and you should be fine.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

I always tape over the bores of master cylinders and calipers, and I put bolts in the bleeder and banjo bolt holes before I blast them with aluminum oxide. It's too bad that he was careless and blasted the bore, but I think you'll be ok. With no seal in a clean caliper, the piston will "drop" right into the bore with no real friction. The fit isn't very tight and the rubber seal is what's doing all the work during piston travel. If you wanted, you could put a 3-stone brake cylinder hone in your drill press and just clean up the bore - it would only take a few minutes. Use a little brake fluid for cutting as you run the hone up and down.

In any event, blow out the holes with compressed air, rinse them out with hot water, and then blow them out again to make sure you got all the grit out. Then you'll be good to go.

Were the threaded holes blocked off, or is there a powder coating on the threads?
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
custom shadow
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by custom shadow »

tomk1960 wrote:I always tape over the bores of master cylinders and calipers, and I put bolts in the bleeder and banjo bolt holes before I blast them with aluminum oxide. It's too bad that he was careless and blasted the bore, but I think you'll be ok. With no seal in a clean caliper, the piston will "drop" right into the bore with no real friction. The fit isn't very tight and the rubber seal is what's doing all the work during piston travel. If you wanted, you could put a 3-stone brake cylinder hone in your drill press and just clean up the bore - it would only take a few minutes. Use a little brake fluid for cutting as you run the hone up and down.

In any event, blow out the holes with compressed air, rinse them out with hot water, and then blow them out again to make sure you got all the grit out. Then you'll be good to go.

Were the threaded holes blocked off, or is there a powder coating on the threads?
I used a little wire wheel on a dremel to clean out the grooves where the seals go and then i used 600 wet
dry paper on the bores but even without seals i dont think they will "DROP" in
Attachments
SANY3832.JPG
SANY3832.JPG (54.63 KiB) Viewed 315 times
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Well maybe "drop" was too strong a word. The pistons should slide in quite easily - let's put it that way.

Is that powder coating I see on the threads of the banjo fitting holes?
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
custom shadow
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by custom shadow »

tomk1960 wrote:Well maybe "drop" was too strong a word. The pistons should slide in quite easily - let's put it that way.

Is that powder coating I see the threads of the banjo fitting holes?
yeah i tapped the bleader holes i have to do the banjo fitting holes
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I have smoothed up the inside of mine with some 1000 grit. but time will tell....

they sure look nice
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS