Vetter Terraplanes....

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Vetter Terraplanes....

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Roger: It is generally recommended that the empty weight of a sidecar should be approx. 25-35% of the bike's weight but that is mostly because a heavier sidecar is more stoutly built. Adding ballast to a sidecar will NOT accomplish that.
And speaking as someone who has had 8 sidecar outfits since '87 (9 if you count Eccles twice because I replaced the original Velorex sidecar frame with one from a Ural) and currently has 2 outfits, if the sidecar is a good match for the bike and the outfit is well set up you should not need to add ballast to compensate for not carrying a passenger. The only ballast I ever carried was a 2 gallon jug of water (approx. 20 Lb) in winter to help keep the sidecar tire from running on top of the fresh snow I often had to drive through while commuting and tipping the outfit to the left.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Bob, you seem to forget that I have driven hacks for over 40 years as well. Looking at the pictures from the beginning of the thread it appears that all of those hacks are mounted to bikes as heavy as the GL1000. :IDTS:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I've known others that have had sidecars a long time and insisted they needed ballast too and it sure sounded like you were suggesting that a sand bag might be the solution if it was too light....
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

it all really depends on what you mean by "too light" if it is that the sidecar is not strong enough that is one thing. but an empty car can be "too light" because it is empty
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tory »

Sounds like you both have more experience than me, I've only had 3. But the only one that was so light it needed weight added was also the one I more feared left handers with due to strength.
My last Terraplane, on a Goldwing was stout and I never felt it needed weight added. Besides, what do you do with the weight when you put someone in it? Seems counter productive to picking the kids up at school 🤔

Again, I am more asking for specific information on theses rare prototype vetters. Not a refresher course on sidecar handling in general already been there.
1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I was taught to use plastic gallon jugs of water so if I needed to ditch the ballast I could just empty the water and if I needed the room I could throw them out (this was before municipal recycling). That's OK when it is warm out but when the water freezes you either keep the ballast or throw out the jugs every time.
But as I said, if bike & sidecar are well matched and set up properly you shouldn't need ballast. All it really does is squish the sidecar' suspension a bit and if the leanout compromise is chosen well that shouldn't be necessary unless you go out in 6" or more of fresh snow ;-)
tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tory »

I did go see it today but had to pass. I was under the impression it came of a 78 GL1000 which is what mine is, but there is no possible way those mounts fit that bike. I am not equipped or skilled enough to make that go on my bike.
However, it is indeed one of the six prototypes. I have been in touch with Craig Vetter and confirmed before going out there. The frame is solid and windshield (which I am sure is impossible to replace) is in good shape. It does need a little live and some fiberglass repair as well as seat repair/replace.
But, for someone that wants a true piece of history, this thing could be awesome and unique.
It is in Michigan.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 297537434/
Attachments
Screenshot_20210109-173749.png
Screenshot_20210109-173749.png (469.1 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Screenshot_20210104-112510.png
Screenshot_20210104-112510.png (607.21 KiB) Viewed 160 times
1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly