getting older and motorcycling

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

getting older and motorcycling

Post by rcmatt007 »

Last Saturday at the DuBois HOG meeting we had a safety presentation on how aging effects our abilities. They even had a video which I think was put out by the MSF.

Eyes: they don't acomadate to light changes as well, so it takes longer to adapt after bright headlights come at us

Reflexes: they slow down

Distractions: well more distracting

Strength and flexibility: I recall when I could bend over and lay my palms flat, now I can barely touch my finger tips to the ground.

None of it was really a surprize, but it was a good reminder

In many ways I am a better rider now, because of experience, and because over the past couple of years of studying the techniques in "ride like a pro" and taking an advanced course. And maybe also, because I know my limitations
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Re: getting older and motorcycling

Post by CYBORG »

i think it is mostly knowing your limitations, and not pushing the envelope. i used to say that if you were not living on the edge, you were taking up to much space. but as of late i'd rather take the time to smell the roses......and live to ride another day
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

This hits home with me. Way back when, I was both physically and mentally a much better rider. When I was riding a motor as a LEO, I could handle radio communications, make observations, be aware of my surroundings and safety AND ride a motorcycle. I thought I was bullet proof and was very aggressive. Now, I know I'm not bullet proof, I'm not aggressive and it takes all of my physical and mental skills to ride safely. Time marches on.

Yesterday, while in my shop, I was listening to some Beatles CD's. The song, 'When I'm 64' came on and it hit me that at the end of this year, that's just what I'll be. :roll:
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by rogue1000 »

Yep...
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

Memory:Uh, what was it that we were discussing here?
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

A great time of our lives however. We still have the ability and desire and more time to do what we want!
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

what really caught my attention is how much I hate driving at night.... the glare from the headlights is a killer
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Red2trike
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Red2trike »

I use a pair of "lite tint yellow lense" glasses (shooters's glasses) or so clled "night drivers" galsses. I try to find the litest tint possible for these glasses. It helps greatly with the oncoming glare of those blue/white, etc. lights on busy nightime highway/roads in city or rural areas. I also use eye "lube" and eye excerise's to make my eye oil glands work better as I get older.

An eye examine would help greatly as well as it might show that you may have the start of cataracts....like I had a few years ago. This limited my sight both during the day and at night. Had the operations (both eyes) and color, depth of field and just plain good eyesight returned. I use those yellow glasses on cloudy days to heighten the sharpness of everything and always use for night driving on bike or auto.

As for my reactions and attention span........................................yes, I got both. :lol:

Been using "games" (ping pong, pool, darts, throwing Cheerio's onto knitting needles at 10 paces) to keep my eyes, reflex's up to snuff. What do some of you others do??????

RT2........yes, I'm old.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

fortunately, according to the opthmalogist not cataracts yet.
-Rodger-
MSGT-R
Lady Winger
Lady Winger

Post by MSGT-R »

Mostly, do things to keep your mind alert; puzzles, or hand/eye coodination games, sports. Lots of older folks get to the point that they don't recognize danger or things happen too fast for them to react to. Keeping fit both physically and mentally doesn't take care of itself, one must apply him/herself. Go for that walk, get that sleep, eat right and do those mind games.

We all age differently, it takes honesty (and a bit of bravery) to yourself to admit when it comes time to hand over the keys.
Mom drove until 82, then I had to take her keys when she couldn't handle the monkey-skill of shifting the car anymore. She was also backing into things because she couldn't see well enough anymore. It was only a matter of time before that first accident was going to happen.
81 Interstate: gone but never forgotten.
13 F6B
NGW Cartel
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Aging is a War. I look at my parents and they do most everything right to try and take care of themselves, including the exercise and diet. They are still on bikes (well a trike now) and Dad just turned 80. But it is a daily battle. They go to the gym at least 3 times a week and attend the "Silver Sneakers" exercise session. That concentrates on balance and joint mobility then they work with weights to try and keep the bones loaded in an attempt to stave off bone loss/weakening. On the days they do not go to the gym they walk. Mom has always been a walker but Dad never enjoyed it, he is learning to now.

What they have shown me is that when you retire you have to take a lot of that time and energy and turn it inward toward taking care of yourself. I know Randakk has quite a bit of info on his site regard one of his life goals and that is to still be riding into his 90's. That is a very challenging goal that is achievable but it is not something one can turn on and off. It requires a dedication to taking care of yourself and being proactive. You must stave off things before they develop. I greatly admire people that have a focused goal and have the determination to stick to a long term plan to see something through.

Obviously genetics play a role but the keys to long life are diet and physical and mental activity. Somebody has a commercial "Bodies at rest stay at rest and bodies in motion stay in motion" or close but anyway it is gospel in my opinion. Obese couch potatoes die Period. Physical activity and mental exercise allow us to enjoy many more years of quality life and that in the end is what it is all about.

Rant over lolol lolol lolol lolol
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Red2trike wrote:snip...........
Been using "games" (ping pong, pool, darts, throwing Cheerio's onto knitting needles at 10 paces) to keep my eyes, reflex's up to snuff. What do some of you others do??????
I ride motorcycles that accelerate from to over 150MPH in less than 9 seconds. They also go from 0 to 130MPH or so in about 5 1/2 seconds. dancr

One of these days I'm going to unleash it and see what it will really do. :twisted:
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Red2trike
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Red2trike »

I stopped doing the 0-130'smph in 5 or so seconds........I could no longer buy shirts with lonnnnng enough sleeves! :IDTS:

RT2
skydog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by skydog »

rcmatt007 wrote:what really caught my attention is how much I hate driving at night.... the glare from the headlights is a killer
Funny how I used to fly thru the hills at nite,never thinking about deer.Till I hit one!Now I find it extremily hard to ride at nite.See them buggers everywhere(or so it seems).
75 naked "Blue Streak" gone
78 fairing bags "Brownie" 4 sale
80 standard project 4 sale
84 Standard, Vetter bags "Horse with no name"
85 Interstate gone
84 aspy
86 aspy
"When the day comes to settle down,who's to blame if you're not around?You took the long way home"
avg_joe
Titanium Member
Titanium Member
My Album: http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... torcycles/

Post by avg_joe »

I like to use the yellow tint glasses for night riding, too. Between the people with HID lights, and the people who don't dim their brights, the yellow tint REALLY cuts the glare. Having the glasses on really helps protect the eyes, even in a full helmet. I have had bugs hit me in the chest, and get funneled up into the helmet, where it buffets around until it finds something wet to stick to. I was only a couple of miles from work when it happened, and by the time I got there, my eye was pouring tears, bloodshot, swollen, and rather uncomfortable.

As far as hitting a deer....I have hit one in a car before. Never on a bike. The thought of hitting anything bigger than a rabbit with a bike scares the crap outta me.
I drive a 1/2 ton pickup with a rack over the bed, now. It has a couple sets of yolks for hauling kayaks bolted to it, sticking up in the wind. I think that it creates enough noise to scare away deer before I can even see them. I haven't seen a deer in years, in my pickup. Been in my wife's pickup, and see them by the herd!

avg_joe
In the garage:
1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 with California Side Car hack
1982 FT500 Ascot(Wife's bike)
1983 FT500 Ascot
1983 XL600R(with some 85 parts)