Harbor Freight Lift 1000 lb Lift - Fatal Flaw - Read This

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Harbor Freight Lift 1000 lb Lift - Fatal Flaw - Read This

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This thread was started 5 years ago. You would think if it was a common problem that they would have done something about it by now....
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

having just read recent reviews..... harbor freight still seems to sell junk
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

...and I'm still using my HF table. Always has a bike on it. Almost always up. As I said earlier, there are a number of bike shops around here who use them. They are all happy. (I asked). I could have spent a grand on one. I doubt I'd have been any more satisfied.

YMMV. Caveat Emptor. Etc.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

desertrefugee wrote:...and I'm still using my HF table. Always has a bike on it. Almost always up. As I said earlier, there are a number of bike shops around here who use them. They are all happy. (I asked). I could have spent a grand on one. I doubt I'd have been any more satisfied.

Same here! I am very happy with my HF lift.
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

dontwantapickle wrote:
desertrefugee wrote:...and I'm still using my HF table. Always has a bike on it. Almost always up. As I said earlier, there are a number of bike shops around here who use them. They are all happy. (I asked). I could have spent a grand on one. I doubt I'd have been any more satisfied.

Same here! I am very happy with my HF lift.
Yep, same here.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

okay, we now have a N of 3..... but then again, I have heard that 87% of all statistics are mode up :roll:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

:lol:

Then there are those nagging binomial distributions - which may almost be what we have going on here with HF stuff.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

and I have been around enough to know a lot of negative reviews are bogus.... just read the ones on me :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Rodger-
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

Mine is the 68892 model. I haven't had any trouble so far. I've had a couple gl1000's dressed, a couple KZ1100's and a lot of cb750's on it. Mine was $299.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
thirtythreeandathird
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by thirtythreeandathird »

This discussion started awhile ago (July 30, 2013), and it seems went idle on August 21, 2018...but I hope no-one will mind if I add more to the conversation.

The Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table is without a doubt, a popular addition to the garage. After viewing numerous youtube videos, I bought one, model 68892 for under $300 dollars. This is the one with the channel shaped "[" frame as opposed to the later model " L" shape.

The first thing I noticed was what 'Placerville' (the original poster) mentioned, the "safety bar" bent like a noodle when the weight of the bike was on the table.
But when I jacked the table up a couple of pumps to remove the safety bar, something made an explosively loud pop. The table catastrophically failed under the weight of the bike (around 800 pounds)...
Here's what happened:
The bottle jack that is the muscle in this table is mounted on two rotating pins, about 1" in diameter, that are in tubes welded between the frame rails. The jack ram pushes with brute force against a scissor arrangement which lifts the table. With an 800 pound motorcycle on the table, there is a lot of pressure on these components, and mine had catastrophically failed. The tubes showed multiple fractures longitudinally, like Wiley Coyote's shot gun barrel. Apparently the manufacturer had elected to use undersized thin walled tubing, which exploded under the forces. I would post pictures if that is permitted.

Why didn't I return it to the store you may ask?. Well, suffice to say, sometimes life gets complicated. Anyway, I have decided to repair it, and I would like to share that adventure with you. Also with photos...can someone tell me how to post pictures?
Thanks for reading this. More to come.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Here's a link to the procedure for posting pics. You may have to have five posts before the system allows posting pics, but it works for some users right away. This thread and others can be found in the 'Test' forum, listed at the very bottom of the main forum index. You can also post a test thread.
One thing not mentioned... you need to be in the 'full editor and preview' window, not the 'quick reply' window. Also, some photos may post sideways or upside down, depending on how they were taken and if you're posting directly from a phone, tablet, or computer. You might have to edit for size and orientation to get what you want...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44847
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

Been happy with mine so far, but have only lifted a BSA 441 Victor, so no test yet with heavier motorcycles. Modded immediately with a roll-on chock, liking it so far!

1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
And a few late '60's - early '70's British thumpers
thirtythreeandathird
Lead Member
Lead Member

Track T 2411 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:55 am Here's a link to the procedure for posting pics. You may have to have five posts before the system allows posting pics, but it works for some users right away.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44847
Thankyou TrackT
thirtythreeandathird
Lead Member
Lead Member

Thanks to TrackT for the link to posting a picture.

So, with that, here are the images of the broken carnage. Note, I had attempted to weld an earlier crack, as shown in the second picture, but the tube just fractured in a different location next time I tried to use the lift.
Attachments
crack
crack
IMG_1621.jpg (228.41 KiB) Viewed 331 times
and more
and more
IMG_1804.jpg (288.27 KiB) Viewed 331 times
thirtythreeandathird
Lead Member
Lead Member

My plan: cut out the bad parts and weld in new, thicker tubes. I sacrificed one of my hoes (Not THAT kind of hoe !) because I needed a piece of hickory to act as a drilling guide, and then used a hole saw and drill rod (and lots of cutting oil) to remove the cancer:
Attachments
hole saw
hole saw
IMG_2636.jpg (303.56 KiB) Viewed 331 times
say NO to crack
say NO to crack
IMG_2635.jpg (217.46 KiB) Viewed 331 times
ready
ready
IMG_2634.jpg (386.99 KiB) Viewed 331 times