1980 KZ1300 - Bad Day at the Office

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

1980 KZ1300 - Bad Day at the Office

Post by Lucien Harpress »

While my 4 cylinder 'Wings were excellent bikes and (for the most part) extremely reliable, there was something missing in my life. Something that only 6 cylinders/1300cc/120 horsepower could fill. So I got me a Kawasaki KZ1300. :mrgreen:

I've been wanting a 6 cylinder bike for a LOONG time. There's just something so ludicrous and unnecessary about having that much engine on two wheels. Looking at my options (CBX- too expensive. Newer 'Wing- not naked enough. Valkyrie- one day. Benelli Sei- Whassat?), I instantly fell in love with the KZ. Bigger than the rest (for the time period), unabashedly square, and that AMAZING teal blue-green color- what's not to like? After much searching (and a '83 GL Aspencade flip), I found one that fit the bill. In Idaho. For THAT whole story, check here:

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52754

Anyhoo, she finally arrived in my front yard today. Guess we'll start at the top.

THE GOOD:

Holy MOLEY is she clean. Not mint, mind you, but dang near. What I would consider an acceptable patina. There are TINY flaws in the paintwork, and I'm probably going to get it clear-coated (if only to prevent further damage), but other hard to find parts (the airbox sidecovers, actual sidecovers) look amazing. The ONLY flaws I can find on the exhaust pipes (a $1000 item in good shape) is a tiny bit of chrome flaking on one muffler. The header chrome is amazing, and the steel parts in between aren't rusted at all.

THE BAD:

She doesn't run yet. The battery was too dead to really try anything, and while I could've hooked a charger up to it... well, we'll get to that. It's also not 100% yet. There's a few parts I have to get in order to strip off the fairing, and they need cleaned up. It's also got an 80 mph speedometer (1980 special). I've got my eye on a 160 mph speedo on Ebay, but who knows how expensive it's going to end up (they usually go for big money). I also found a bunch of green stuff on the front of the motor, some type of sealer. Not sure why. There's also a small dent in the gas tank, but I can probably take it somewhere to get it popped out. It's not bad at all.

THE UGLY:

Oh my. I'm fairly certain the PO thought he was in electrical engineer. There is electrical tape and wire nuts EVERYWHERE. Just- look at this.

That's THREE wires going into a ground that shouldn't exist. Into a battery that's, if you'll notice, TOO SMALL for the area it's in. There's an extra wire off the positive terminal, and two extra off what I'm pretty sure is the starter solenoid. Also, look closely at the far right fuse. Not only is that COPPER TUBING, but it's SOLDERED IN!!!!! WHYYYYYYY??????

Here's my right controls. You may notice that the wires go... nowhere. Of the two switches on the fairing, the one is for the radio, while the other is my actual stater switch. Which I have to turn off when the motor starts so it stops the starter motor. :IDTS: That's not even mentioning the THREE POSITION SWITCH DRILLED INTO THE HARD-TO-FIND SIDECOVER that does.... who knows? I HAVE NO IDEA!

In addition to the main wiring harness, there are TWO looms of extra wires going up front from the battery. I'm... still not sure why. I wanted to take the fairing off today, but all of my time was spend removing the bags and cleaning up the wires back there.

This is how far I got today. Hopefully I can get the fairing off in a day or two, and clean out some of this rats nest of... junk. I'd like to get it running too, see how much of a basket case I'm dealing with. Despite that, I'm still stoked. Just OWNING a KZ1300 is, to me, special.

It's gonna need a name. I'm thinking the "Kiwi". It's unique, rare, and completely ridiculous. lolol (Plus, it is a decent abbreviation for "Kawasaki", so I like it.)

(Crud, almost forgot! BIIIIIIG shout out to terry_208, my middle man out in Idaho. Without his help, there is NO way I would've ever gotten this bike. A real stand-up guy if there ever was one. If there's anybody out near SE Michigan who needs a hand, I'll do my best to pass it on. Thanks again!
Last edited by Lucien Harpress on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:51 am, edited 108 times in total.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
skydog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 4 Cylinders Weren't Enough.... (New Bike)

Post by skydog »

Nice bike!Certainly is unique,not to many out there.Them po's can make some awfull messes,but I'm sure you'll get it sorted.Congrats!
75 naked "Blue Streak" gone
78 fairing bags "Brownie" 4 sale
80 standard project 4 sale
84 Standard, Vetter bags "Horse with no name"
85 Interstate gone
84 aspy
86 aspy
"When the day comes to settle down,who's to blame if you're not around?You took the long way home"
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Stock KZ13 parts are hard to find. You can buy wire, solder, and heat shrink anywhere. :lol:

Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

Back in the 80's I worked for a restaurant company that happened to get lots of Japanese tourist traveling between Seattle and Vancouver BC. My XS1100 and my head cooks KZ1300 got all their cameras clicking every time they got off the tour bus. They couldn't believe they were real bikes having never seen them in Japan. That KZ is one of the most impressive vehicles I had ever rode at the time!
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

I've been on the lookout for a CBX or KZ for a while. There is a guy in Europe that turned them into V12s!
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

My FIRST bike was an '80 XS11, and (truth be told) I bought this trying to recapture some of the performance "wow" factor I had with that that, unfortunately, my 'Wings don't really have. While the XS is probably the "better" alternative (nearly identical performance in a cheaper, lighter, less complicated package), there's something about 6 cylinders.....

Seen the V-12 guy. What I aboslutely LOVE is how stock he tried to keep it. Apart from the extra radiator and cylinders (and lengthened frame), it's still a pure KZ1300- er, 2600.

UltraRunner
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by UltraRunner »

I'm glad you managed to get your hands on one! Looks like a great start. I'll be anxious to see how it turns out.
'77 GL 1000 - sold, sad to see it go
'80 GL1100 that is garage decor.
'81 GL1100 that I finally put on a table to work on.
'94 BMW R1100RS Very fun bike.
'04 BMW K1200GT Haven't spent any time on it yet.
'07 FLHX - I'm in love with this bike. My daily driver.
IBA # 66429
CBX n GL man
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CBX n GL man »

Cool bike. Def. don't see too many of them around, going to be nice when it's all sorted out I bet.
You lucked out with all the hard to find parts still there.
I've seen the CBX 12 cyl but didn't know there was a KZ 12 cyl too. Have fun with it. Later.
'81 CBX nekid
'80 GL1100 w/windjammer
'80 CX 500D 1/4 nekid
'84 GL1200A 1/2 nekid -- gone
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

I have a 50 foot roll of those fuses hanging on a nail in the garage! Now I know what it's for! :)

Congrats on your "new" bike!!! I love it too.
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

I really like the way it looks without the tour pack
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
Barney T Weasel
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Barney T Weasel »

Congrats. I also have a z1300 (in Australia they were not a KZ) and a CBX Honda 1000/6 Prolink. Both brilliant bikes. I have owned the Z1300 since 1986 and ridden it nearly daily since then. The only thing I could get to surpass its "long legged" ability & comfort was the Triumph Rocket 3 which sits with them both now. You'll love it. Super smooth and powerful and they handle really well if you are accustomed to a bit of climbing around. Good luck.
GL1000 '75 model Blue....heading to rat, then cafe racer then full resto...owned 33 years.
http://www.dungbeetlebiker.com/forum/forum.php
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Somebody has MBS quite badly.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

The big six, home and safe,
I like it very much.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by calif wingnut »

I bought a 79 in 87 full dressed like yours and shorty after, the stator/cdi went out. Can't say I was impressed with it looking back but it sure stomped a 79 GW into the ground. I sold it to a European with just the kawi fairing on it and their accessory seat like yours in 89, then sold my Ltd and bought a new 89 1500 for $10,750 otd. I sold the 1300 front oem signals to a guy in aussieland many moons ago...he was happy to find them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kz1300+ ... B600%3B459
Attachments
DSCF1285.JPG
DSCF1285.JPG (58.36 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
1300 v12.jpg
1300 v12.jpg (78.54 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
Last edited by calif wingnut on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Red2trike
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Red2trike »

You got a great bike. They work the best stripped naked with only a little "chest protector". Had a few running I the area sometime ago. Even saw one get hit parked along a local street. MMMmm, maybe I should do a little looking...might be able to find spares somethings??

RT2