New lease on life for an old Honda

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: New lease on life for an old Honda

Post by Whiskerfish »

action1 action1 action1 action1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
BrooksGL1000
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by BrooksGL1000 »

Very nice, we are just getting started on our '75, any advice?
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

BrooksGL1000 wrote:Very nice, we are just getting started on our '75, any advice?
Yeah, make sure the gas tank is good and clean before you fire it up so you don't run into the same mess I did. :) All kidding aside, parts are still readily available because they're quite popular with the cafe racer crowd as well as many who simply clean them up and get them roadworthy like I did so there are plenty of go-fast goodies and stock replacement parts out there. I did a number of mods to mine which drove the cost up but the one that I would actually recommend is going with an electronic reg/rectifier. I had to replace mine because it's original regulator was long gone but the reg/rec I got from Sparck Moto was only around $35 and so far it combined with the stock stator don't seem to have any problem keeping the battery happy.
Scott
BrooksGL1000
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by BrooksGL1000 »

Ok, Scott, thanks so much.
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Last weekend my wife took her MSF course and passed and I must say it was a very well spent $175 because the things she learned from taking that course has dramatically improved her riding skills and boosted her confidence as well which of course has increased her desire to ride that much more. Normally when we ride together it's usually rides that last not much more than an hour but now that her confidence has shot up those 1 hour rides aren't enough and she now wants to take her 350 on day trips perhaps weekend trips with me on my 750 and that really knocked me on my heals. The reliability of the bike isn't at question but rather can she deal with being on that bike all day so the first question I asked was "are you really sure you want to?" The 350 is a rather light weight bike compared to say my cb750, that makes for a very agile bike BUT it also makes it feel every bump in the road, more sensitive to cross winds or the turbulence of a passing truck not to mention its parallel twin engine is very "buzzy" as the engine winds up to 60 or 70 mph and that vibration goes through the foot pegs into the bottom of your feet. There is a reason Honda put a rubber cushioned top motor mount and rubber mounted handlebar risers on it you know what I mean? I'll start taking her on longer rides just to make sure she really wants ride it on longer road trips but in the meantime I have a bad feeling I've created a monster and it's only a matter of time before she'll want to try out my 750 or even our GL on her own. :shock:
Scott