GL1200 Standard vs. Gen 1 Valkyrie... Thoughts?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

GL1200 Standard vs. Gen 1 Valkyrie... Thoughts?

Post by Lucien Harpress »

A while ago I was lucky enough to procure for myself a Standard GL1200, and it's been a fantastic bike. However, I've ALWAYS wanted a Honda Valkyrie- to me, they've always basically been what my 1200 is, but more. And me, in my random internet ramblings, have started to notice that the upper end prices of a Standard 1200 in good shape is very close to the low-to-medium prices of a bunch of Valkyries in my area.

So I guess my question is, how do the two compare? Ride quality, MPG, practicality, etc. Basically, which would you enjoy more owning?

In full disclosure, part of the reason I'm looking is that I've just noticed my 1200 pulls slightly to the left if I take my hands off the handlebars. Now, it's subtle enough that it took me probably a year to notice it, but now that I do, it kind of bugs me. Odds are it happened when I laid it down. My options are pretty much try to trade up (aka, why I started this thread), maybe find a good 1200 frame a title and swap everything over this winter, OOOOR just live with what I have. Just exploring options at this point.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: GL1200 Standard vs. Gen 1 Valkyrie... Thoughts?

Post by desertrefugee »

I'll have a go at this one. I "may" be biased since I own one, but I'm not alone in this position.

I've never had a 1200 Standard, but did have an '84 Aspencade. The 1200 is the best of the 4 cylinder wings in my opinion. But, this question is an absolute no-brainer. By every metric you mentioned (except MPG), the Valkyrie is head and shoulders a better machine. Handling, brakes, power, sound, comfort, pizazz. I have hung right with sport-tourers in our group in the sweepers going up the Beeline to Payson. They were shocked. Absolute no brainer of a comparison. If you rode one, you'd very quickly find out for yourself.

Mine WAS a Standard, but I have turned it into a Tourer. Still, it's surprisingly nimble for its size. Read up on it. Universally admired by those who've tried it.

OK, I'm done.
With430s.JPG
With430s.JPG (115.1 KiB) Viewed 330 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

As far as the pull to the left...try slightly loosening the bolts holding the forks to the triple tree with it up on the center stand. Give the handlebars a little shake to see if you might be slightly tweaked. That might just get her going straight again.

As far as the Valk to the 1200...engine wise, no contest. Can't say it much better than desertrefugee did...The Valk is an awesome bike. Think of it like there are two more of everything... It is a little bigger than your 1200 standard, so if size is a concern, keep what you have.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Interesting..... I've had the front end apart a couple of times, both to replace forks seals and the front tire. I'll have to look into this.

And naturally, desertrefugee HAD to lead off with a Valk that's got my second favorite color scheme. (It USED to be my first, but lately I've had the perverse idea of owning a purple-and-white Valkyrie.....)

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The 1200's have the rear wheel situated left of the front wheel about 1/2" iirc. Unless dead nuts plumb, front wheel parallel to back wheel, it's going to fall left. Since putting my 1200 swingarm into my 1000 frame I have the same thing. I can slide my weight a bit right and it goes straight down the road. I can ride it for miles like that with the cruise set. It corners without touching the bars unless it's a poorly banked corner.

I still think having the forks situated in the trees correctly is pretty important.

I rode a Valk once. Something primal was stirred in me. I've wanted one ever since, but lately think the weight in parking lots and low speed maneuvers would be a detriment.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Heh. You nailed it, Eric. But, for me, that primal stirring more than makes up for having to pay a little extra attention at low speed. That hopped up six cylinder with free-flowing exhaust. The visual appeal. No unnecessary frills.

A Valkyrie is Honda's touring genius distilled down to the lowest common denominator. (It really is that good).
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Lucien Harpress wrote: And naturally, desertrefugee HAD to lead off with a Valk that's got my second favorite color scheme. (It USED to be my first, but lately I've had the perverse idea of owning a purple-and-white Valkyrie.....)
If I were to find myself looking for another Valkyrie, I'd jump on one of these:
1997-red and white.jpg
1997-red and white.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 274 times
calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by calif wingnut »

Youtube goldwing pull solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffq-Osw5nQM&t=308s

The 97 Valk was proclaimed to be the first mass produced motorcycle to ever pump over 100 hp/100 ft lbs torque. I put a deposit on one back then ($13,000 otd) then cancelled it being back ordered for 6 months, then thought to myself, I'm going to give up my 1500 dresser for a stripped model harking me back to my new Naked 75 gl @ age 24 NO Way Ha. The 4 banger series were great bikes back in the day having owned them all but none can compare to a 6 banger as one test ride will confirm for most=finally a Wing with massive Torque which no 4 banger ever had.
Attachments
valk dealer banner.jpg
valk dealer banner.jpg (228.05 KiB) Viewed 242 times
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG (153.53 KiB) Viewed 242 times
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG (148.13 KiB) Viewed 242 times
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG (141.21 KiB) Viewed 242 times
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG (140.45 KiB) Viewed 242 times
Last edited by calif wingnut on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Interesting. I may have to rethink my setup.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

In full disclosure, part of the reason I'm looking is that I've just noticed my 1200 pulls slightly to the left if I take my hands off the handlebars. Now, it's subtle enough that it took me probably a year to notice it, but now that I do, it kind of bugs me. Odds are it happened when I laid it down.
That pull to the left, actually more of a drift, that you are experiencing is probably from the torque of the engine. Both of my 1100s had it and my 1800 had it from new. Just a part of the bikes geometry due to the engine being mounted with the crank parallel to the longitudinal axis of the bike and even though I've never ridden one I would bet that the Valk has the same drift.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Thanks for the video explanation of the side drift. I'll give it a try. I'm guessing I'll have to losen up the fork brace as well (came standard on the 1200)?

As for the Valk.... I'll probably come keep the 'wing until at least the winter, then slap a price on it to see if anyone's interested. I'd have to get at least $4000 out of it to be able to afford a decent needs-nothing Valkyrie, which I'll admit, even for a mint 1200 Standard is a bit much. But then again, I can afford to sit on it as well- I'm in no rush.

But DANG, those Valkyries are pretty bikes!

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I tried the fix from the YouTube video cited above. It helped. I did not loosen my brace. When I put my brace on, I slid the lower triple tree down to just above the brace to space the forks. Mine is a Magna front end with a bolt type axle and a pinch bolt to lock it. I loosened the pinch and axle, then applied as much pressure as I could with one hand on the bars while tightening up the axle and pinch with the other hand. An assistant would have been nice. I may try it again today with the fork brace loose as it still pulls a little left, but it is much better. I can't see how it would help, but I couldn't see how the above method would help either.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces