HD & Millennials Part Duex

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

HD & Millennials Part Duex

Post by SnoBrdr »

It has been an iconic American staple since 1903, but in a world where motorcycle rider numbers have been fast falling and core loyalists are hanging up their leathers, Harley-Davidson (HD) has unveiled some bold changes to appeal to a crucial upcoming audience.

Just don’t call them millennials. In the brand’s view, it’s all about individuals and customizing.

“We definitely want to attract young riders, the 18-34 year-olds,” Paul James, Director of HD's Motorcycle Product Planning, told Fox News. “Bikes that are nimble, easy-to-ride and easy to park … but still motorcycles that you don’t throw away, passed on from generation to generation.”

This week, the motorcycle giant revealed a game-changing 2018 lineup – in line with its 115th anniversary and quest to add two million new Harley riders to the roughly 8.5 million total U.S ridership by 2027.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/08/23/ ... nders.html

Rest of the story there.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: HD & Millennials Part Duex

Post by 5speed »

they canned the v-rod as well as the Dyna line.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
northwood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by northwood »

Glad I am 35. Never been interested in any HD I have ever ridden. I am no millennial.
2015 Honda Grom (Soon)
2006 Honda VFR800 "Snowflake"
2007 Honda "Chicken Bacon Ranch" (CBR1000RR)
Previous Bikes:
1975 Honda "ol' Bird Dog" GL 1000 (Gone but not forgotten)
1982 Kawasaki AR80 (The one I will regret selling)
1982 Honda CM450E Not so Project "Connie"
1987 Yamaha Virago XV535
2005 Triumph Daytona 650
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

As a millennial (I'm 29), I have to say HD is over-thinking it. Customization? Size? Model? All great points, but don't mean anything if it's not affordable.

I can't speak for everyone my age, but quite a few people won't, and are no longer able to, shell out extra money just for a name. Young people still ride Harleys, but 99% of them go for Sportsters, and mostly just for the cost.

Simple fact is that the money just ain't there anymore. I mean, I wouldn't mind owning a HD (there's a couple models that don't look half bad), but the sad fact is that, with my income and other obligations, there's no way I'd ever be able to afford them.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Lucien Harpress wrote:As a millennial (I'm 29), I have to say HD is over-thinking it. Customization? Size? Model? All great points, but don't mean anything if it's not affordable.

I can't speak for everyone my age, but quite a few people won't, and are no longer able to, shell out extra money just for a name. Young people still ride Harleys, but 99% of them go for Sportsters, and mostly just for the cost.

Simple fact is that the money just ain't there anymore. I mean, I wouldn't mind owning a HD (there's a couple models that don't look half bad), but the sad fact is that, with my income and other obligations, there's no way I'd ever be able to afford them.
That's sadly true for many, many people who are not millennials.

The days of lots of disposable income are sadly gone.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Lucien Harpress wrote:As a millennial (I'm 29), I have to say HD is over-thinking it. Customization? Size? Model? All great points, but don't mean anything if it's not affordable.

That's sadly true for many, many people who are not millennials.

The days of lots of disposable income are sadly gone.
exactly. I would love to own a road glide...but at $38K+. I've never paid that for a car or truck..I'm certainly not going to spend it on something I can only enjoy 5 months of the year when my $800 1100 does the exact same thing.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Not to mention there are so many used HD's available to choose from. Just a rough guess but 75 to 80% of the bikes I see on my local Craig's List are HD's. I personally know quite a few HD owners but only 1 of them had the funds to purchase theirs brand new, all the others bought a used one.
Scott
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

I agree, I could never afford a new HD unless I gave up a lot of my other hobbies and that's not going to happen, I bought a 04 roadking in 06 for $12000 and immediately sought out a big bore kit with cams, pushrods, cyclinders, pistons, also bought oil pump, clutch, dive belt, etc. for when things fail, because I knew if I waited till something failed I'd have to pay more now than what I paid, so far good 35000 miles later I still have all those parts in the cabinet, and this will be the last bike to go when I can't ride anymore.....if then... and yes if I could afford a new Harley I would buy one, also a Ducati, BMW, Honda, Triumph, and anything else with 2 wheels
Proud winner of ngwclub 2017 bike of the year......76 GL1000
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

I am fifty.
GenX, or so im told.
I own a harley.
Only way that happened was the guy who owned the bike wanted some of my junk more than I did.
We made a trade.
I got the bike and a bunch of space.
Had I wanted a new HD, I would still be wanting.
Imo if they want to sell more bikes, they need to get the money right.
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
Beetleman
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Beetleman »

JSBail wrote:Not to mention there are so many used HD's available to choose from. Just a rough guess but 75 to 80% of the bikes I see on my local Craig's List are HD's. I personally know quite a few HD owners but only 1 of them had the funds to purchase theirs brand new, all the others bought a used one.
I wish craigslist and cycletrader had a "no Harley" filter, it would save alot of time looking at bikes.

As far as melinials not having money or a good paying job, that's just part of being in your 20's. I've never met any body in their 20's that had money, unless their parents had money. Wait until you get in your mid thirties, then employers will start to take you a little more serious.
1978 gl1000 Not Nice bike.
1978 gl1000

Taking 10 minutes every day to use the bathroom at work is equal to one week's vacation.
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

I think the issue is performance;

I'm sorry, but lean angle, braking and cornering are FAR more important to me than chrome and "heritage".

You know its sad when you can smoke most HD's on the road on a 38 year old motorcycle....

Sound is cool, but when that's what you're banking on (to the extent that they have -or tried to get- a patent) that instead of any metric (standard, more like :8) ) of performance or reliability, you're gonna have a tough sell....

But we all know that opinions are like, well..... ;)

And I am also a "millennial" (29).

And as much as I love my country, the Japanese know how to build a good motorcycle, and put HOG to shame....
Last edited by x01660 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

x01660 wrote: I'm sorry, but lean angle, braking and cornering are FAR more important to me than chrome and "heritage".
Boy, do I agree with this. But, I also cannot subscribe to the "lifestyle" and requisite pirate costume and persona. Almost seems to be a requirement.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

No different than the Gold Wing people with stuffed animals and vests on with their "club" colors. They are still riding motorcycles and enjoying life. We don't have to like what other's do but they have the right to do it.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

I like some Harleys that I've tried like the Fat Bob.

What bugs me is that I hardly ever see any HD rider wearing a full face helmet. I always pass HD riders hunkered down beneath overpasses in the rain. Rain hurts your face at 60 mph. My buddy who did a face plant off his 76 Wing would be scarred for life, broken jaw and brand new teeth if had been sporting one o' them skull caps.
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

robin1731 wrote:No different than the Gold Wing people with stuffed animals and vests on with their "club" colors. They are still riding motorcycles and enjoying life. We don't have to like what other's do but they have the right to do it.

Actually, to extend this just a bit, I didn't pass judgement. I said I couldn't play along (subscribe). They have a right to play that way. I have a right to go in other directions.

I will say that I'm getting more "waves" from Harley riders than I ever did. I'm not sure why, but it suggests a more diversified, open-minded Harley clientele.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.