New goldwing!

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Re: New goldwing!

Post by Brant »

I agree with ya whisker. On my last ride cross country ride the stereo made it much nicer. Gives the mind something else to think about. I felt less tired and more alert actually.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Whiskerfish wrote:I can do without out a lot but having a stereo means a lot to me.
:lol: I like tunes myself. At home, I'm all set. On the bike, not so much. But, I do my best thinking when I'm riding.

As for this new 'wing, you may roll your eyes, but it would take something pretty special to lure me away from my 20 year old Valkyrie Tourer.

Good looks, a strong motor, comfort, competent handling, reliability and the road. For me, that's enough. Everything else is just fluff.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

desertrefugee wrote:... As for this new 'wing, you may roll your eyes, but it would take something pretty special to lure me away from my 20 year old Valkyrie Tourer.
Agreed ! ! !

Those early year Valk Interstates were great bikes. The saddlebags and trunk, being less integrated with body work, looked great like a real motorcycle should. And the Interstate fairing looked just right for the bike. IMO one of the best looking bikes Honda ever built. Pulled up next to one on the road a week or so ago, and it was a two-toned beauty.

Don't ever sell that baby!

1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by calif wingnut »

HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk-a92SAGxk
I know this vid was deep in the last post but I wanted to bump it up again.
Lots of good shots of 'our' style.
Maybe they're making a pitch for those last few holdouts...
...Brant and CYBORG ?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :IDTS:

HOTT (its got Uni-cam heads!)
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Holdout?...yes and no. As it is so often said "Its complicated". When I was younger My tastes were different. Sailboats, sports cars, and sleek airplanes. Perhaps it was a phase in my time here on earth. But at 72 I have less money, and more responsibility, and a desire for more comfort, and less speed. Which as caused my 78. with nitrous, and a sport bike stance, to sit in a corner of my shop, playing second fiddle to my 1200, which is more comfortable, and stripped of all the "Farkles". So the new Goldwing, tho a great bike, full of engineering, is a bit to heavy in parking lots, and has to many distraction on the dash for my mental state at this time in my life. I may build one more bike this winter. Maybe. But getting a "new" Goldwing. Only the thing that dreams are made of.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

welllll.....Just read the specs, and realize that there is a standard model . I read, and realized that it is a bit lighter, and the technology is off the chart. $30,000 is a little scary....no a LOT scary. : : But if winning the lottery is in the picture, well now I may be motivated to buy a ticket. :orange
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

There are fella's over on the "other" goldwing site that have put money down for a "shifter" model with a Feb arrival date for under 25 large.......

easier lottery win.......
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Ya,....but my wife wants a new house, (we have been looking at 7 acres in the country),...big bike trip coming this summer,...and an even bigger one next summer,...don't think a NEW bike is in the cards,...lottery not withstanding :lol: Got enough parts laying around to build another one. Will keep me busy this winter/ Guess I could always go back to work.......NAAAA :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
luludog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by luludog »

Nice and extensive details. Only part I don’t like is the aluminum cylinder bores, but the bike is growing on me :)

http://hondanews.com/channels/gold-wing ... h-document

FWIW, OTD prices for the Tour model w/DCT (no accessories) $25,700 - $28,200, depending on location & dealer.
Last edited by luludog on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ray

1977 GL1000 - http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40398
1975 CB750K5 - stock restoration http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40426
1971 CB175K5 - stock restoration http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 95&start=0
1972 CB350 - resto-mod cafe project http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47429

"Remembering the Past... Liv'n the Dream"
Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Graham Cracker »

WingMan71"-"For transferring power to the rear wheel, the 2018 Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models are available with a six-speed manual transmission or Honda’s advanced seven-speed automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)"

My '84 Shadow had 6 speeds...loved it...spoiled me. It's been gone for a number of years, but I'm still reaching for 6th on the GL. Call me a slow learner.
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

somebody might've already said this coz I haven't read all the posts here, but I wonder what it'd look like Naked?
:lol:
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

I keep repeating 'Pacific Coast 800' in my mind, but a Space-age model.
Computer savvy is a must, and a memory for pre-programming the system's check-list before take-off. And unless you are born with the innate intelligence of a 'barefoot bandit', at least one month of professional tutelage similar to flight school is necessary for its safe operation (IMO).
It ought to make a splash in Europe!
:IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS: ...Sundance.
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I'll be honest. The more I watch that video, the more I appreciate (and like) that new 'wing. If I had a spare $30k laying around, I could see putting some serious miles on one.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Still six cylinders? Aren't we past due to move up another two cylinders?

Mixed feelings about all the electronics. My wife's Spyder has a lot of them and it is a bit frustrating to have to wait for the computer to boot up if the trike has been off more than a few minutes, but otherwise just as on my 1800, you can ignore anything you don't want or need to deal with. Probably the same here. Mostly automatic default. Just pray they are reliable because there won't be any roadside trouble shooting.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: