Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires

Post by Solina Dave »

Has anyone used the Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires? And what do you think of them regarding handling and tire life?

Thanks................ anim-cheers1 ...Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires

Post by MegaDan »

I rode on them all year (2017). Handling is amazing. Very grippy tire, and they even felt confident on a wet road. Tire life... I wouldn't expect more than 5000-6000 miles out of the rear. Obviously results may vary a little with that figure. They handle so well because it is such a soft tire compound, but wear a little more quickly because of that compound too. I have been very pleased with mine.
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

Thanks for that Dan. That's good news. And all that information is exactly in keeping with what I've been reading, regarding the Shinko tires. I've been using Bridgestone Spitfire II tires for years. I really liked them, and got 9000 out of a rear tire. Unfortunately the size (130/90-17) rear tire, is no longer available. So I'm in the market for replacements. I can still get the front Spitfire, but I like to keep the same brand, front and rear. The Shinkos are looking better all the time.
I pay more up here in "The Great White North" than you do, when you consider the exchange rate. At Canadian prices, I was paying $320 a pair for the Spitfires, and the Shinkos would be $185. That's a considerable difference. And the money saved, would offset the increased installation costs that I would have to pay, on a more frequent basis, due to the 33% reduction in mileage on the tires. Life is good!

Thanks again. I appreciate your getting back to me..... anim-cheers1.....Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Randakk likes them ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I use them, and am are very happy. Pretty much what has been said about them is the same for me. Good canyon carving on my 78, and good slab work on my 84. And pretty good in the wet as well

I'm use them
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

RAT wrote:Randakk likes them ....

Gord
Yeh I saw that Randakk liked them. And he liked the Spitfires too. But he also liked the BT-45s the best. I guess you can't be right all the time. lolol...........Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

I've got them on my 83 interstate and I got around 5k on the rear before replacing and that's with a lot of 2 up riding. I could've gone all summer with the old one but was planning a trip to Tennessee and wanted good tread depth in case I got caught in rain. I also could've gotten more than 5k out of the rear if the roads around here had more turns to them to make use of the side tread.
Scott
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I've got 6k on a pair on my "78. Rear still has good meat. They seem to be lasting longer for me than others. Keep the pressure up and they'll last longer.

I love these tires. I used to run them on my Vmax because of their soft rubber and grip - which does shorten their life.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

Thanks! I think you got me convinced enough to place my order. I wish it was spring, so that when they're delivered I could put them on 'er and try 'em out. But she's down for the winter, so I won't disturb her. She gets cranky if I wake her up.
You guys are usually first off the mark with valuable info. I'm not sure if that's because you don't have a life, or you're just plain smart. Either way..............

Thanks again.......... anim-cheers1 ...Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

It's both actually.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

its because we're smart, that we don't have a life,....unless you count Goldwings :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

Late to the party but I've run a pair of these on my 82 Wing and they were great. Got about 6000 out of them and once worn they lost it, the front one developed a bulge but worn tires are not worth the risk anyway. I'd have another set any day.

Cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

230Rocket wrote:Late to the party but I've run a pair of these on my 82 Wing and they were great. Got about 6000 out of them and once worn they lost it, the front one developed a bulge but worn tires are not worth the risk anyway. I'd have another set any day.

Cheers
Dean
Dean, I think I hear ya. I could live with 6000 on the rear, and you invariably get a lot more on the front.
When you say, "once worn they lost it", do you mean they no longer handled properly on freeways and curves? And were they a problem on wet roads? And also, you say, "I'd have another set any day." Doesn't the development of a bulge in that front tire, make you leary about a second purchase? :-?

Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

Dave,

When I say 'lost it' I mean you could tell they'd passed their usefulness and I probably squeezed that last 800-1000 out of them just straight line commuting.

As for the bulge it was hard to detect and not a typical sidewall carbuncle type bulge but actually how the front wore around its circumference. And again, I put it down to wear at the limit.

For the cost of them I thought they were real good value. I've just worn out a rear Dunlop D404 after about 4000 but there was about 350 miles of "spirited" riding back in June on the Central NGW run in the good company of fellow inmate HOTT and his GS!

So I'm not decided on what to go for next, probably another Dunlop rear as I have quite a bit left in my front...

Go for them, only you will know what they're really like when you ride them, you can't really go wrong for the money.

Cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

230Rocket wrote:Dave,
Go for them, only you will know what they're really like when you ride them, you can't really go wrong for the money.
Thanks Dean,

I've heard enough good things about them from you and several others on this site. And also I've read a lot of positive reviews, generally I would say, in the 4.7/5 range. I figured that made them a fairly safe bet so I ordered a pair and had them delivered today. Now I just need some nice springtime weather.

anim-cheers1 ...Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"