Shipping a bike Q's

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shipping a bike Q's

Post by Pony Ruiz »

How has it gone down for you? I have some idea but have never done it.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Who did you use? I like recommendations.

I see so many bikes (deals) I'd like to own but they are usually too far to go get. I don't have time for a fly and ride. I'd need to have it shipped.

thanks!
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Shipping a bike Q's

Post by wingrider »

Are you talking shipping it across country, or shipping it from another country?

Provided you are referring to shipping in country, I have done 3 bikes. One from TX to here, one from SW PA to here, and one from a member here down in KS.

Used a bigger company the first time, Motorycle Shippers.com. That bike was suppose to be on a pallet, covered up with a dust cover. It zig zaged around the US before getting to me, (you can watch where it goes via a link). Funny enough, it was about 75 miles from me at one point, but then went a few hundred miles east before coming back to me. Bike got here safe, but wasn’t covered. Actually was given the cover before I really saw the bike. Cover should have been on it, as it be filthy.

The other two were through U-ship. Two different people...my Valk was out in PA, found a guy on there that agreed to get it a bit cheaper than any one else. It was in a covered trailer, and it got here. There was a bit of communication, but nothing to write home about. The fellas Name was Marco. When he got here, he said that he usually hauls Harley’s, and that he is done hauling this far East. He didn’t realize how far away I was. :roll:

Last bike was a unique situation. A member here was selling a little Suzuki. Again U-ship comes up. Put up a want ad for shipping a bike. One guy contacts me, said that he was in the area of the bike, but lived about 130 miles from me. Said he would pick it up and bring it to his house, and charge me $100, and I come get it from him.

That last transaction was probably one of the best deals I had found. Nice guy, and does odd trips here and there, so it worked out for both of us.

I would recommend U-ship...Give yourself a few days to get quotes, and you can make a decent decision.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Thanks Wingrider

I'd be shipping inside the country. I am going to spend a bit on the bike so I don't want it to get here like your first one - uncovered. I'm glad uship worked out for you but I've gotten mixed reviews so far on that one.

Nothing negative was said about haulbikes.com. The do a flat rate within a fixed range/grouping of states.

Only bummer - us folks up in the PNW have to pay more and we have to wait longer. $650 and my first glance at the website maybe a month.

It is what it is, but I don't like the fact that they zigzag all around.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

+1 on U-Ship. Good experience for me. Just make sure the transporter has insurance.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
motormike
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by motormike »

I'v imported 5 different bikes from across the pond...all crated... sealed.. to my local custom depot. One, like a scene from The World's Fastest Indian... the crate was lay'n on it's side... the warehouse clown said... " they should have arrows.."... Thankfully the shipper knew his stuff.. no damages.
I have sent bikes across the pond.. a very nice Norton, it went down under.... and a Lambretta went to Hong Kong... both pick'd up by.. 1-800-Haulbikes.. big tractor trailer rig parks out front.. you and the driver go over the bike.. he rolls it onto the truck.. wave good bye.
State side.. U Ship has worked for me... always seem'd to be a independent who picks up.. I had a unit pick'd up near Atlanta.. ship'd to Minn.. about $350.oo.
In the stable.. 1929 Motobecane (under restoration), 1950 & 1952 Terrot (Paris police) 1952 Peugeot (French M/Police, Algeria veteran), 1952 Alcyon (Airport Fire-rescue), 1965 Triumph 650 Tiger, 1966 "TRITON", featherbed framed, w/73' 750 Triumph engine, 1968 Honda Cb450 Police, 1970 Ducati 450 Jupiter, 1970 Ducati 350 (street racer), 1971 M/Guzzi Ambassador, 1970 Yamaha 650 Xs1, 1982 Yamaha 650, 1982 Cx500P, trike (Ex Chicago PD), 1997 Honda Helix, 2010 Royal Enfield w/sidecar...1962 Cushman Eagle, 65' Mustang, base coupe, 04' Mustang convertible ..one understanding wife. :)
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

would they need the keys for anything as long as the fork t.tree is unlocked?
i have been reading reviews.....results vary with just about all of them.
"motorcycle shippment" has good reviews.

scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

Yep, the Uship service is good. I have used it 4 times (3 domestic, 1 international). The international shipment was for a Villiers engine rather than a whole bike. Excellent results each time.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I had one experience shipping a bike it was a bad one.
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Well I'm def. gonna need a shipper. I bought a bike. Its in MI. I think I'm going to go with "Motorcycle Shippers" . Yep that's the name. Original eh?
They had the best reviews from my p.o.v. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the input guys!