1984 Interstate Extreme Basket case

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

1984 Interstate Extreme Basket case

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Was allowed to view an '84 Interstate (confirmed by viewing the OEM tally plate on the steering stem) basket case this that will be coming up for bids – a repossession by a local Bailiff friend of mine.

It is strapped onto a small roll pallet and is in a state of tear down such that I could not find some of the important pieces. Unfortunately if it is not bought at the auction it will become scrap metal.

Not a lot that I can use a lot of the items, but there are 3 side mirrors in good shape, the rear rotor is the same P/N as the one for my bike – need one for the bike in Ontario, the front rotors as well. Could not find the exhaust headers as the left one if in good shape is needed. The front forks are the same for the '84 to '87 years - found that the front fork upper tubes on my '85 here in Victoria could use a change.

The person that owned it was trying to fit Aspencade fairings to the bike. Know this because the front fairing is from an Aspencade and has the digital dash. Did not get a look inside the saddlebags, should have. There was no rear trunk either. Found the intake manifold, but only one carb was attached.

Had the side chrome panels – both, the fuel pump chrome cover was in good shape. There is a windshield in good shape as well. there were a few other small pieces that would be good.

I think a bid of $25.00 would get this basket case. Take off what you need immediately and say goodbye to the rest. I do not have a storage spot for this, nor a trailer to move it.

Considering a used rear rotor is a minimum of approximately $65.00 USD the cost would be justified.

Going to ask my friend if another viewing could be done and what the process is when an item is bought.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: 1984 Interstate Extreme Basket case

Post by wingrider »

Does that have an engine? Would be worth it if so.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Has an engine. Thinking that just about everything not being used or kept can be recycled. Carbs as metal scrap, wiring, electronics, tires, rims can all be recycled. Would give me a couple of days to go through the mess. The engine cannot be used by me in an '85 LTD fuel injected bike and it is an '84 engine. The valve covers are in better shape than mine so a swap would occur.

Cheers

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Was thinking you could sell the engine and make out good.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Good idea, but the shipping would be quite expensive I would think. Have not ruled out putting in a bid, a few things that would be good for me to keep. Would be a week project to itemize and determine what to keep or throw in the recycle. Small market here on Vancouver Island.

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Rednaxs60 wrote:Has an engine. Thinking that just about everything not being used or kept can be recycled. Carbs as metal scrap, wiring, electronics, tires, rims can all be recycled. Would give me a couple of days to go through the mess. The engine cannot be used by me in an '85 LTD fuel injected bike and it is an '84 engine. The valve covers are in better shape than mine so a swap would occur.

Cheers
There's no reason an 84 engine could not be adapted to the later fuel injection. Aside from the ignition pulsers, it's the same motor. Pulsers can be installed up front on an 84 motor.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

desertrefugee wrote:
Rednaxs60 wrote:Has an engine. Thinking that just about everything not being used or kept can be recycled. Carbs as metal scrap, wiring, electronics, tires, rims can all be recycled. Would give me a couple of days to go through the mess. The engine cannot be used by me in an '85 LTD fuel injected bike and it is an '84 engine. The valve covers are in better shape than mine so a swap would occur.

Cheers
There's no reason an 84 engine could not be adapted to the later fuel injection. Aside from the ignition pulsers, it's the same motor. Pulsers can be installed up front on an 84 motor.
Thanks for the reply. It gets one thinking and looking into similarities so a possible good solution can be found.

The two items that come to mind are the Ns sensor installed on the crank shaft in the timing belt area, and the Gr/Gl sensors installed on the rear of the right cylinder head camshaft.

The Ns sensor would not be a problem, just need the multi-tooth trigger wheel for timing.

The install of the Gr/Gl sensor is a little more involved. The right camshaft for the fuel injected model has a different P/N. I think it has been modified to accept the sensors - the end of the camshaft has been drilled to accept the sensor assembly bolt. A swap of the right camshaft, or refurbish the '85 heads and install. I checked the left camshaft for the '84 engine against the '85 FI engine and it is the same.

Checked the piston con rod and the cylinder head assembly for both '84 and '85. These are the same P/N so the distance between intake ports on these engine should be the same, and as such the FI manifold should bolt up to the '84 engine.

The stator and power requirements for the '85 FI is significantly larger than the '84 Interstate. The '85 FI operates at approximately 22 to 25 amps normally. This is approximately the max output of the 350 watt stator on the Interstate. Would have to consider upgrade to the "Poorboy" alt mod to make this engine work - not a big issue but a consideration.

The gear shift indicator switch is slightly different as well. Would have to investigate further.

Can't think of much more at this time, but probably will have more questions before I have to make a decision.

Front and rear wheels are the same for these two models as is the final drive.

There are a lot of good possibilities with this find. Being able to refurbish say the FD with new seals etc and then just do a swap is beneficial.

Would seem when you analyze the issue that there are a lot of parts that can/should be usable between the two years and models. The frame, probably not, and it requires a lot of storage space; however, if one were to do a frame up restoration of the '85 FI model, if the '84 frame was compatible you would be into a swap scenario.

Many possibilities, but I still have a storage issue.

Cheers

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Forgot about the stator. '84 uses a different starter, as well. That one bit me a few years ago.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

No worries. Putting an external alternator is not an issue, works well. Have already done one, will be prepping the mounts for a second install. Gets easier as you do more. The starter can be rebuilt, should work for a few more years if so.

You gents don't make this any easier. You're supposed to tell me I'm crazy and run, not walk, away. :2thumbs

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

+1 on the Poorboy conversion. I did one on my '84 and it was the best "upgrade" I ever did. I did a full write-up on the project on the Steve Saunders site in 2010. Not so good for a Standard, but perfect for the Aspy/Interstate.