Risky Business!

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Risky Business!

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

"I expect to be riding as long as I can get on a bike but I do NOT expect to die on a bike."

You're exactly right.

Back in 2003...? 2004...? my friend Dave took off on his bike and rode to Acadia National Park in Maine; while there he met a guy from Germany, Franz, an older gentleman, 70-something, who had brought his BMW to the States to do some riding. Dave and Franz hit it off, hung out and camped overnight in the park. The next morning they decided to ride into town and get breakfast, with Dave in the lead.

On the way, Dave noticed that Franz had fallen behind, so he waited for him for a bit, but Franz never showed. Concerned, he went back to look for him and found Franz dead in a field. No crash, no skid marks, nothing to indicate what killed him.

I was working in news at the time, and had heard Dave had run into a problem in Maine, so I called the Bar Harbor police to see if he was okay and they put me in touch with Dave, who was sticking around while the police corroborated his story. Dave related it to me, and he has never spoken of it since. Subsequent investigation and autopsy revealed Franz had suffered a heart attack on the bike and simply rode off the road. Dave told me his widow, who flew in from Germany, said at least he had died doing what he loved, motorcycling.

A grim story to be sure, but I don't think Franz - or Dave - expected that either.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

There's a difference between dying doing something you love and dying because of what you are doing.

Franz could just as easily have died while driving a car.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

That's True! But my point is, none of us are promised tomorrow. I personally don't Dwell on it, I just Respect it. Just as you mentioned in your post, be prudent/responsible when you ride, it helps keep Bad Things From Happening.

I mean, down here, Famous Last Words are usually preceded by "Here, Hold My Beer." :lol:
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

I turn 66 in a couple weeks. My body is half or less what I think it used to be. Per wife’s orders I sold 5 of my bikes this year. although I did buy another new used one. Take that honey. And I pulled my 75 wing out today
to go fill the tank and enjoy the experience. For the first time in my life I took the 35 mph side roads
to stay off I90 and the 80 mph 300-400 hp cars people drive today. It was just as fun. Took a bit longer.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I stopped on my bike to visit a sick friend, his last words to me were "ride safe, but ride".
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

I know, right...? Motorcycling has changed my life for the better ever since I started some 20-odd years ago; I can't imagine my life without my bike. Or 'bikes', as the case may be... :lol:
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I've been riding a bike of one kind or another, since I was 13......I'm now 76.....I can't imagine my life without a bike.....or two. They have allowed me to see places I might not have seen without them. And meet some of the nicest, and most interesting people in the world
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200