Custom Motorcycle Museum

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Custom Motorcycle Museum

Post by dontwantapickle »

dontwantapickle wrote: I guess the perspective all lies in whether you think of a motorcycle as a practical piece of machinery,
or a fashion accessory.
Good thing there is room enough on this planet for both!
Is it wrong to quote myself?

No disrespect intended HOTT, I was just asking you to clarify what you said.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I have seen several "un rideable" bikes at bike shows. But they are all composed of many imaginable touches, some of which can be very innovative, and be incorporated into bikes that are very ridable. I seek out the details of the build for ideas. Even in an "unridable" build
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

As a matter of fact, many have commented that my 78, cyborg, is un ridable. And maybe they could not ride it. But I have managed to rack up over 400k miles with a smile on my face. Just saying
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

I started this thread because I think the bikes are interesting, and it took a lot of skill to build them.

Whether one can ride them or not does not change my opinion.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
FrontRunner
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by FrontRunner »

Back in the early 90's I had a 72 Triumph Bonneville and my friend had a 67 Triumph 650 TT chopper. My main goal was to have a reliable ride. His goal was to have something that looked cool posing in a parking lot. To each their own but i'd much rather have a roadworthy bike than an unusable show piece any day. I've seen a lot of really cool looking choppers but I prefer something i could ride all day over something that looks cool but isn't actually ridden. Several years ago this guy with a big shiny truck and trailer was camped next to us at Sturgis and was bragging about the fact that him and his woman had ridden 75 miles yesterday on their freshly bought chopper. We were all kinda laughing at him since we were averaging 300 miles a day just riding around the black hills (more on the way out) seeing the sites and had ridden from West Virginia to South Dakota and were going to head on to Wyoming, Montana and Colorado before heading home. He was a "biker" through and through and us mere motorcyclist should bow to his trailer queen and his brand new Hardley Worthitson gear. What would we know since our group only had 1 Harley in it and it was almost stock with a meager 120,000 miles on the clock, and of course a well worn Gl1500 with 90,000 plus miles and my Kawasaki Nomad that was only 40,000 miles from new at the time. The Harley has since been sold and he replaced it with a Kawasaki Nomad. My Nomad and the GL 1500 continue to rack up miles to this day while mister chopper might have 3000 miles on it if he even still owns a bike.
1978 GL1000 My 1st GL Learning experience
2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
FrontRunner
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by FrontRunner »

My idea of motorcycle art is more like Wheels Through Time where almost everything can run or even The Glenn Curtis Museum. They got me with the billboard showing a 19 O something V8 home built motorcycle and the headline "The Fastest Man on Earth".
1978 GL1000 My 1st GL Learning experience
2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500