Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Post by rcmatt007 »

like our forum it is about the work and the dedication and the sharing of knowledge

it is being a motorcyclist don't matter the ride it is being out there on two wheels....

if ya gotta explain, then ya don't know
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

rcmatt007 wrote:like our forum it is about the work and the dedication and the sharing of knowledge

it is being a motorcyclist don't matter the ride it is being out there on two wheels....

if ya gotta explain, then ya don't know
that is the REAL answer to the question. And I agree lolol
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

I've probably read a hundred threads like this.......you know the ones- explain the HD experince, how can anyone ride that JapCrap, What's the attraction of Cafe Racers, how can anyone ride a cruiser, no one rides choppers anymore. So I have to agree with Rodger "if you gotta explain, then you don't know".I have the unique opportunity to ride all brands and types of motorcycles. When I get home from a ride, whether it be a Harley, a Brit bike, metric cruiser, vintage Japanese, crotch rocket, I always tell my wife "that's a nice bike". She laughs and complains "you always say that no matter what you ride". And my response is always the same.........."yes, and your point is.......?" ;)

.........Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

The manufacturer's marketing program told everyone that Cool Guys ride Harleys,
and the Hot Chicks like Harley riders.

... "I Gotta get me a Harley!" - case closed.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

really!!!!! give me a break
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

Here's someone who knew a thing or two about human nature. And what makes people tick. And what turns you on!! crossy.gif
images.jpg
images.jpg (15.55 KiB) Viewed 527 times
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I have an 81 Tourglide, and and an 83 Goldwing. When I get ready to ride the wing, I feel zen. It is smooth, powerful and nimble for it's size. When I get ready to ride the Harley, I am full of anxiety. It is heavy, shakes like a paint mixer, makes odd mechanical noises, handles and brakes poorly. I am not trying to diss Harley. But it is not my choice of rides when given the choice. I do not believe there is any way you can subjectively explain why people ride them. They just do. As stated, I have both, ride both, and could never understand why a person would choose the HD over the wing. I just can't find any enjoyment in the HD, but I still ride it.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Gashog
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Gashog »

Well Sunnbobb, If you don't enjoy riding your Harley, you should probably sell it. I have always enjoyed my Honda, Ducati, Bsa, Kawasaki, and Harley motorcycles. If it has two wheels and a motor, I like it. I have enjoyed over 25 years of riding my 1978 Shovelhead. I am sure I will enjoy it and my 1984 Wing as long as I can still hold them up at the stoplight. We are growing old together.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

an 81.... ancient in the realm of HD. Remind me, was that still with AMF, but too early to be an evolution engine?

There is a world of difference between my '05 road king and my '17
-Rodger-
Gashog
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Gashog »

And by the way, nothing wrong with AMF Harleys. The problems were with assembly. The parts were the same. AMF was just in too big a hurry to get them out the door. Poor QC and not enough detail to assembly. All AMF problems can be addressed by an owner that works on his own bike. Same as working on any motorcycle. Pay attention to details while fittings parts, proper balancing and following torque specs. Pay attention when sealing gaskets. Why my 40 years old AMF Harley still runs and runs better than when new. And yes, I have had it not leak any oil even when it had oil in it!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

and I do realize that without AMF taking over HD when they did... but yes, real problems with QC.
-Rodger-
kerryb
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by kerryb »

I ride a '78 honda cb750, an '83 goldwing aspencade, a 77cb550, a '79 wilmac trike (vw power) and a '08 HD softail custom ( which I like to brag is "showroom stock"). I have 10,000 touring miles between the softail and the goldwing. The harley is comfortable all day long at any speed, doesn't vibrate as much as my cb750, and gets 48 mpg. I love the noise, the riding position, and the power on tap at all times. I love all my bikes, but when it all goes horribly wrong, I hope I'm on the harley as I feel "l" will have a better chance of riding out of it without a horrible ending. I must add that on a cold, rainy day halfway to my destination, I prefer to be on the goldwing. It is way more comfortable behind all that bodywork.

it's all part of the adventure...
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.
'78 cb750K, '83 GL1100s,I,&A,'08FXSTC, '79 WilMac trike
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

kerryb wrote: doesn't vibrate as much as my cb750,
Huh? Your HD must have some serious rubber motor mounts because I have a 77 cb750 F2 and it's engine runs smooth and it's mounted solid to the frame. Now I would be willing to bet your HD doesn't vibrate as much as my wife's 71 cb350 twin, it will make your hands AND feet go numb if you wind it up and a friend of mine's Yamaha XS650 twin, oh geez it's the worst one I've ridden so far. Something about the Jap parallel twins.
Scott
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The problem isn't present in all parallel twins. 360 degree parallel twins (both pistons rise & fall together) can't help but shake as much as a big single would but 180 or 270 degree parallel twins are much smoother and generally more efficient, not to mention that they can rev faster. The GS400s I had were 180 degree twins and also had balance shafts, ending up smoother than some inline 4s.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

:popcornx2

have we beating this to death.... the reality is we ride motorcycles....

Decades ago (must have been the late 70's), 8 of use shared wine in a tent at a campground in southern California... we had a wing, there was beemer, a couple with a Harley, and dang I cannot recall the others.... we all shared wine

:horse:
-Rodger-