Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Post by x01660 »

Hey. :)

I'm not trying to start a flame war; just wanting to understand the appeal of an HD, from some people who actually have one or have ridden one. I've never piloted a Harley, just been on the back of one for a short period. It was rumbly, which was pretty cool, but it would seem like that would get tiresome real quick.

I've had 3 bikes; 1980 Suzuki GS 1000G, 1985 Suzuki GS 1150E, and 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000. The 1150 was fun, if a bit rough around the edges and the 1000G was a total beater. But both were smooth on the highway, and handled decently.

I love the GL more than the others given how smooth it is. I dunno. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing, but trying to understand.

So, those of you with HD's, why do you like them?
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Post by brokentoe »

I don't think there is any explaining something as personal and subjective as this topic. Can someone explain the Chevy or Ford experience? Brand loyalty, American made (somewhat), Apple vs PC, on and on. I have a 75 GL and a 2014 Softail and love them both. They're different, they ride and shift different, they both go fast enough for me, they both make me smile. I might be the exception on this subject.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

brokentoe wrote:I don't think there is any explaining something as personal and subjective as this topic. Can someone explain the Chevy or Ford experience? Brand loyalty, American made (somewhat), Apple vs PC, on and on. I have a 75 GL and a 2014 Softail and love them both. They're different, they ride and shift different, they both go fast enough for me, they both make me smile. I might be the exception on this subject.
I guess what I'm asking is for a subjective comparison between the ride of a GL, and the ride of an HD.... All of my bikes have been Japanese, and I'm sure I'm biased. I want to hear from someone who has owned both and can provide a comparison.

Sorry if that's a bit vague...

:?:
-x01660

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
n5zhu
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by n5zhu »

I have road one HD and after opening the thoule sorta a joke the 4cly wing would run away from it.Did like the fuel use better than the GL 1000.
HD has spent much money to sell folks that a vibering engine is cool,but to each there own. 73 Patrick
In the sticks So. of Heneryetta OK
1992 Suzuti VX800 Gone Traded for 2nd 78 GL1000
1978 GL1000 X2 1 Up and Runing 1 to go in the shop for work
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

I am sure a lot of the appeal is the history and nostalgia of owning an american brand that has been around forever. I have had a lot of bikes both german and japanese but never bought into the harley thing. I never wanted to pay more for a name.
To each his own , as long as you are in the wind thats all that matters, at least to me
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

I think essentially the Ford/Chevy/Dodge comparison is the best one. Everybody has "their" brand, and as much as I rag on my co-worker who's a dyed-in-the-wool Ford man, or the fact I would NEVER own a Dodge, what your looking at is, essentially, the same exact product. Sure, there's minor differences, but that's what they are- minor.

Same with bikes. No matter what, you've got two (sometimes three) wheels and an engine. There's only so may ways you can do that. Once you get beyond that fact, what your left with is brand loyalty, and that's not an overarching question- that's a personal one.

Maybe you, your dad, or someone else worked at a factory. Maybe you want to be part of a larger community. Maybe it's a way of expressing your views, moral, political, and (who knows) spiritual? Why you're loyal to a brand is like "what is art"? COMPLETELY subjective.

Me personally? I don't want to spent a load of money for a name, at least if I'm not getting something else in return. It stems from the fact I financially CAN'T, and even though I've been known to spend too much on a bad idea (cough, KZ1300, cough), there's enough of a tradeoff on the flipside that I'm okay with it. Not to mention that, while I've put a lot of money into this bike, comparatively it's really not that much.

But this being so subjective also means I can't hate on anyone who HAS to own a Harley either. I mean, I'll joke about it and give 'em crap about it, but never actively think less of someone for owning one. At the end of the day we all want the same thing- an open road and a full tank of gas. Who cares how you get there?

Now where do I put this soap box.....
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am not a Harley guy. (Yeah, that's a period)
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Haven't owned one. Have ridden a few. Older and newer. Older like from the 70's and newer from 2000's. Huge difference really no matter how the look may be the same. Can't say I would never own one if the right deal came along. I'm not brand loyal. On bikes or cars. I've had GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks. Have a Dodge and a Ford right now. Wife drives a Caravan. Before that she had a Riviera.

You ride, that's all that matters.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Ok. Let me clarify;

Our GL's are known for being smooth, reliable, quiet, and (in stock form and maintained), fuss free. From what I've seen and heard, the HD's shake a lot, don't produce a lot of power, require a lot of maintenence, and are much more prone to problems in stock form.

In addition, there is supposedly this feel of "power" because it shakes at idle. Maybe I should just ride one. But I'm wanting to know from those of you who have ridden both, what the comparison in the ride quality and experience is to a GL.

If that's not clear enough, then maybe we should just lock this; I'm not trying to start a flame war. I've talked to a few Harley people, and ridden with them. Its my interest in the machine.

You're right, Robin. If you ride, that's good enough... ;)

Edit: I'm asking for a subjective description of the comparison in the "ride" of an HD vs a GL, or any Japanese bike.
20171109_162030.jpg
20171109_162030.jpg (88.02 KiB) Viewed 790 times
-x01660

dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I've owned a few HD's over the years (the only brand I ever bought off of the showroom floor).
but.... they never made me "cool", I was still just a nerd on a motorcycle.

Since I resigned myself to that fate, I figured that I would ride the bikes that I really liked.
So, I rode british (not because they were better, but because they were different than all of the look alike HD's).

Having grown up with and worked on about all brands of air cooled motorcycles ,
the nerd in me was drawn to the engineering and practicality of water cooled, horizontally opposed,
shaft driven bikes. That was back in the early 80's.

Yeah, Harley's are fun to ride, all bikes are, but the durability of the wings won me over.
Also, the fuel tank under the seat and lower center of gravity makes them feel more "planted" on the road than others to me.
That includes my Valk which I ride every day.

IMHO, an older wing is the best bang for the buck large bike available.

Make yourself happy, buy the bike you want and ride the wheels off of it.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Lucien Harpress wrote:I think essentially the Ford/Chevy/Dodge comparison is the best one. Everybody has "their" brand, and as much as I rag on my co-worker who's a dyed-in-the-wool Ford man, or the fact I would NEVER own a Dodge, what your looking at is, essentially, the same exact product. Sure, there's minor differences, but that's what they are- minor.

Same with bikes. No matter what, you've got two (sometimes three) wheels and an engine. There's only so may ways you can do that. Once you get beyond that fact, what your left with is brand loyalty, and that's not an overarching question- that's a personal one.

Maybe you, your dad, or someone else worked at a factory. Maybe you want to be part of a larger community. Maybe it's a way of expressing your views, moral, political, and (who knows) spiritual? Why you're loyal to a brand is like "what is art"? COMPLETELY subjective.

Me personally? I don't want to spent a load of money for a name, at least if I'm not getting something else in return. It stems from the fact I financially CAN'T, and even though I've been known to spend too much on a bad idea (cough, KZ1300, cough), there's enough of a tradeoff on the flipside that I'm okay with it. Not to mention that, while I've put a lot of money into this bike, comparatively it's really not that much.

But this being so subjective also means I can't hate on anyone who HAS to own a Harley either. I mean, I'll joke about it and give 'em crap about it, but never actively think less of someone for owning one. At the end of the day we all want the same thing- an open road and a full tank of gas. Who cares how you get there?

Now where do I put this soap box.....
Well said....and I agree
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

In a nut shell we are all different (thankfully), and prefer different brands from cars and bikes to soap powder. What someone considers a great film, others will find it a bore.
At the end of the day, I have worked for my money so will buy the bike(s) that I like. Just so happens that apart from one, they have been Honda's.
When I got back into biking after a 19 year break, I went to the Honda dealer first and fell for the CB1300. Went to the Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Triumph dealers, but knew I wanted the Honda. I appreciate not everyones cup of tea, but have been happy with it for the last 8 years.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

Ignoring history, culture, where they are made and brand recognition, there is something viscerally different riding a large V-Twin powered motorcycle than any other power plant layout. Many other manufactures have built these, to varying levels of success. Some big V-Twins are those brands current flagship touring motorcycles.
Harley has an advantage in two points that I see. Good, bad or indifferent, they have been doing it a long time, so when someone thinks V-Twin touring motorcycle, Harley comes to mind first. Also they do not build a variety of other engine designs to choose from, which would dilute their identification with that engine layout.
Now is a V-Twin better than any other engine? That is back to preference/subjectivity!
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Bugdaddy66 wrote:Ignoring history, culture, where they are made and brand recognition, there is something viscerally different riding a large V-Twin powered motorcycle than any other power plant layout.
I'm actually curious if you want to expand on this. I've only been on a Harley for about 2000 feet, so I'm interested in what the differences in "butt-feel" there is between a v-twin, flat-4 and maybe a Japanese Standard inline. I'm sure the OP would be as well.
Last edited by Lucien Harpress on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Lucien Harpress wrote:
Bugdaddy66 wrote:Ignoring history, culture, where they are made and brand recognition, there is something viscerally different riding a large V-Twin powered motorcycle than any other power plant layout.
I'm actually curious if you want to expand on this. I've only been on a Harley for about 2000 feet, so I'm interested in what the differences in "butt-feel" there is between a v-twin, flat-4 and maybe a Japanese Standard online. I'm sure the OP would be as well.
^ This.

:crosso
-x01660