Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Aberdale
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Post by Aberdale »

x01660 wrote:The K1200 is the twin, right? . . . . . . Or is it not that bad? Also, handling is a big concern. And especially stopping. How do the HD full dressers stop?
The Harleys are okay. But if you are looking for smooth power and great brakes, you should get more familiar with the BMW K1200LT. It's an in-line water cooled four, fuel injected, dry clutch, with shaft drive. It's a heavy bike, but smooth as silk. The brakes on my 2002 are servo controlled power brakes with ABS. They are so powerful it took me some getting used to to keep from launching myself over the handlebars. Easily the best brakes I've ever had on a bike.

The best part of the LT is it's a German version of the Goldwing. Lots of storage and lots of farkles. I have 20 bikes, and the K1200LT is the one that all passengers prefer to ride on the back of. Heated seats, heated grips, power adjustable windshield, four speaker stereo, wired for CB and intercom, reverse gear, and the ones built after 2005 even have a power center stand.

The K1600 was BMW's replacement for the K1200LT. Since the LT is no longer "new" technology, the prices have dropped considerably. Recent listings on CL are in the $3000-8000 range for an incredibly equipped motorcycle.

I'm starting to sound like a BMW salesman . . . sorry about that. But you should check them out before you make a decision on a Harley, or any other touring bike for that matter. If you don't mind a heavy bike, it's one of the best values out there right now.
I'd rather be lucky than good lookin'.

1970 Honda CB450
1976 Honda GL1000
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1981 Yamaha SR500
1972 BMW R75/5 Toaster
1978 BMW R100S
1982 BMW R100RS
1987 BMW R80RT
1989 BMW K100RS
1991 BMW K1
1987 Harley Davidson Tour Glide
1990 Harley Davidson Heritage Softtail
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Aberdale wrote:
x01660 wrote:The K1200 is the twin, right? . . . . . . Or is it not that bad? Also, handling is a big concern. And especially stopping. How do the HD full dressers stop?
The Harleys are okay. But if you are looking for smooth power and great brakes, you should get more familiar with the BMW K1200LT. It's an in-line water cooled four, fuel injected, dry clutch, with shaft drive. It's a heavy bike, but smooth as silk. The brakes on my 2002 are servo controlled power brakes with ABS. They are so powerful it took me some getting used to to keep from launching myself over the handlebars. Easily the best brakes I've ever had on a bike.

The best part of the LT is it's a German version of the Goldwing. Lots of storage and lots of farkles. I have 20 bikes, and the K1200LT is the one that all passengers prefer to ride on the back of. Heated seats, heated grips, power adjustable windshield, four speaker stereo, wired for CB and intercom, reverse gear, and the ones built after 2005 even have a power center stand.

The K1600 was BMW's replacement for the K1200LT. Since the LT is no longer "new" technology, the prices have dropped considerably. Recent listings on CL are in the $3000-8000 range for an incredibly equipped motorcycle.

I'm starting to sound like a BMW salesman . . . sorry about that. But you should check them out before you make a decision on a Harley, or any other touring bike for that matter. If you don't mind a heavy bike, it's one of the best values out there right now.
We need to talk. PM me. ;)
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I always found I was tip toe to tip toe on a BMW. They just don't work when you have a 30" inseam
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

rcmatt007 wrote:I always found I was tip toe to tip toe on a BMW. They just don't work when you have a 30" inseam
even worse for a 28 lolol lolol lolol lolol lolol
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

rcmatt007 wrote:I always found I was tip toe to tip toe on a BMW. They just don't work when you have a 30" inseam
I have the opposite problem, lol. 34 inch inseam and a super short torso.

My GS fits me like a glove.

Honestly, I like a taller bike. More visibility, more room to lean...

:twisted:

:crosso
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
kerryb
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by kerryb »

My '08 softail custom is my most confortable for long rides (300+ miles) it made me very happy attacking the dragon too. But last couple a trips the '83 aspencade was the bike of choice due to the higher chance of rainy days (keeps me drier). My harley friends are the best... but that's because I met them through motocampers and every make shows up at a campout. My dealership experiences have been good, except when I figured out the loose head bearings on the HD because the dealership couldn't. I like 'em all even if the k75 is a little too top heavy and tall for me.
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.
'78 cb750K, '83 GL1100s,I,&A,'08FXSTC, '79 WilMac trike
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

rode with a mother and daughter yesterday that both have 883 sportsters and both said they ride like a buck board. they don't soak up bumps..they send them up their spine..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Like so many things. Especially in the motorcycle community. It is hard to explain. But If you have to ask, you will not understand the answer. All bikes are special..... in their own way. And yet, different to different people. It's an individual
feeling..... and experience.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Figor
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Figor »

I rode a Harley for 10 years. Loved it. But I rode it like a sports bike. Lost count of how many sets of pegs I went through grinding them down leaning though turns. I wanted an American bike but sport bike performance. A back injury finally ended my Harley experience. I could no long ride in that position. I thought I was done riding. I didn’t want to ride rice. Then I went on vacation to cypress and rented a sports bike. I had never been on one before. No problems with the back in that position. I was hooked and riding again.
I finally outgrew the patriotism I felt roaring through turns on an American motorcycle. Went through all the Asian, Italian, British and German sport bikes. I bought a Buell as soon as I could. I’ve had 6. Still have one. Best of both worlds. Out of all the bikes I’ve had two have stood out. The Yamaha RD400 and the BMW S1000RR.
Getting back to the injury that had me thinking I’d never ride again. The riding experience is what it is all about for me in the end. Doesn’t matter what it is obviously as I’ve spent the summer riding the hell out of a 40 year old Honda GL1100 suicide machine while my Aprilia has been out of service due to a fried ecu.
1981 Goldwing GL1100
Microsquirt efi
digger
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by digger »

Figor wrote GL1100 “suicide machine“ ? Please explain, is it that dangerous for you? BTW, I have to agree with Doug, different strokes for different folks. Enjoy what you ride and ride what you enjoy.
1975 GL1000
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

:2thumbs :2thumbs :2thumbs
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Does a 1953 Harley-Davidson Servi-Car count?
It was my first motorcycle. Was a very good experience for me in many many ways. I bought 2 complete, stock 1953 Servi-Cars for $150 each, in 1969. Foot clutch, running boards and a 3 speed w/reverse gear too, left tank shifter lever. Springer front forks. Included a wish bone-like Servi-Car clam shell hitch tow bar, which clamped to a rear automobile bumper to pull them home by attaching to either side of the Servi-Car's lower front fork legs.
anyways.....
I did buy new U.S. Government Surplus H-D upper end engine parts from an old time H-D dealer, packed in heavy waxed paper and Cosmoline, for next to nothing.
$50 for everything to completely refresh the upper end of a 45" "flat head" engine back in 1969. tumb2
(2 new complete std. bore cylinders, 2 new standard pistons, new standard piston ring sets, wrist pins and pin retainers; minus 2 head gaskets and 2 cylinder base gaskets )
Sent the 4 camshafts (yes, 4 individual side-by-side camshafts in those 45 c.i. side valve engines) to Weber Cams, somewhere in California, for modifications. 100~ish dollars, plus shipping both ways.
Fabricated an aluminum intake manifold adapter to mount an SU carburetor to replace the original brass Linkert carburetor. Sweet!
I will always remember the aftermarket air filter assembly for the SU carburetor was labeled as coming from Woolloomooloo, a suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, , Australia! :-D
Stripped all sheet metal assemblies off the trike. Painted it gloss black enamel with a paint brush. Bought a period correct Electra-Glide 2 up seat and swing down/stow up passenger spring bracket assembly, all for $50.
It was indeed, my 1st Naked.

Street rode it just the summer of 1971, only. I found new H-D chain sprockets were plentiful and Increased the engine's double row primary chain sprocket, by 2 teeth. Also, Increased the transmission output sprocket, by 2 teeth. Would speed along at 60ish MPH. :-D

My * BEST Harley-Davidson experience *? :8)

Other than working on the trike, was taking a young woman I graduated with from high school 4 years earlier, for a ride on a very late Friday night date. A just graduated teacher that I never even said 'boo' to in high school hinted she wanted to ride.
We did just that little thing. A slow ride on a very foggy summer night in 1971. tumb2 50 years ago. :-D

At our 50th high school reunion, 2017, she claimed to not remember the trike ride . :lol:

Done
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
sodbuster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sodbuster »

OK, I'll chime in. I have a '06 Road King. She now has a little over 105,000 miles on her and still runs great. Doesn't use any oil. What I'm most attracted to is the LOW END TORQUE. The feeling you get when you turn up the wick and feel your body pulling away from the handle bars only comes from that big undersquare v-twin. And that staccato exhaust sound is music to my ears.
It gets an honest 45 mpg and lives to cruise at 80 mph all day long. I added a mustang seat for those long distance rides.
Attachments
20210720_113558.jpg
20210720_113558.jpg (192.59 KiB) Viewed 393 times
'06 H-D Road King
'99 Valkyrie Standard - TOTALED :(
'83 GL1100 Standard - SOLD
'82 CB900F - Black & Red - SOLD
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

gltriker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:43 pm Does a 1953 Harley-Davidson Servi-Car count?
It was my first motorcycle. Was a very good experience for me in many many ways. I bought 2 complete, stock 1953 Servi-Cars for $150 each, in 1969. Foot clutch, running boards and a 3 speed w/reverse gear too, left tank shifter lever. Springer front forks. Included a wish bone-like Servi-Car clam shell hitch tow bar, which clamped to a rear automobile bumper to pull them home by attaching to either side of the Servi-Car's lower front fork legs.
anyways.....
I did buy new U.S. Government Surplus H-D upper end engine parts from an old time H-D dealer, packed in heavy waxed paper and Cosmoline, for next to nothing.
$50 for everything to completely refresh the upper end of a 45" "flat head" engine back in 1969. tumb2
(2 new complete std. bore cylinders, 2 new standard pistons, new standard piston ring sets, wrist pins and pin retainers; minus 2 head gaskets and 2 cylinder base gaskets )
Sent the 4 camshafts (yes, 4 individual side-by-side camshafts in those 45 c.i. side valve engines) to Weber Cams, somewhere in California, for modifications. 100~ish dollars, plus shipping both ways.
Fabricated an aluminum intake manifold adapter to mount an SU carburetor to replace the original brass Linkert carburetor. Sweet!
Stripped all sheet metal assemblies off the trike. Painted it gloss black enamel with a paint brush. Bought a period correct Electra-Glide 2 up seat and swing down/stow up passenger spring bracket assembly, all for $50.
It was indeed, my 1st Naked.

Street rode it just the summer of 1971, only. I found new H-D chain sprockets were plentiful and Increased the engine's double row primary chain sprocket, by 2 teeth. Also, Increased the transmission output sprocket, by 2 teeth. Would speed along at 60ish MPH. :-D

My * BEST Harley-Davidson experience *? :8)

Other than working on the trike, was taking a young woman I graduated with from high school 4 years earlier, for a ride on a very late Friday night date. A just graduated teacher that I never even said 'boo' to in high school hinted she wanted to ride.
We did just that little thing. A slow ride on a very foggy summer night in 1971. tumb2 50 years ago. :-D

At our 50th high school reunion, 2017, she claimed to not remember the trike ride . :lol:

Done
Fascinating,
My favorite post this month 😂
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)