Do you maintain and repair your own motorcycles?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Do you maintain and repair your own motorcycle(s)?

Yes, I maintain and repair my motorcycles.
87%
I maintain my motorcycles, but leave major repairs to the dealership.
7%
I have an independent mechanic maintain and repair my motorcycles.
6%
I take my motorcycles to the dealership for all maintenance and repairs.
No votes
I would like to maintain/repair my motorcycles, but lack equipment and knowledge.
No votes

Total votes: 83

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Do you maintain and repair your own motorcycles?

Post by Track T 2411 »

I do all my own work on all my vehicles unless, as mentioned above, it involves the electronics. Even then, I have several friends who can usually help me diagnose the issue, which allows me to do the repair. I've only ever bought one bike that didn't need some work before riding it, and I still dug into it shortly after the purchase. I just can't justify buying a 'newer' bike (and making payments) when I can own and ride several different, dependable, fun bikes.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rudolphwolven
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by rudolphwolven »

Yes, by myself.......I saved approx. 1.200 labour hours x (say) $ 45,- = $ 54.000,-.......by restoring my '75 GL1000 K1 by myself......:oldies

Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016---Image--- GL1000 K1 1975
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

I don't do tires.......
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

I do all of the work on my vehicles, mostly because it gives me great joy to see the finished product and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Many here enjoy other hobbies, maybe woodworking, gardening, sailing or whatever where they experience the satisfaction of a job well done. I believe we are filled with the desire to create, and for me that is satisfied in the building of motor vehicles.
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I do my own work as well. When I can't, I take visual notes and realize that I could have done the work. Learning about these bikes and making one go gives a sense of accomplishment. I've learned so much by having an older bike such as my '85 LTD fuel injected model, and still learning. I've found that this and other forums provide a wealth of knowledge/information about these older bikes, and there is not an issue that you cannot find some information on.

I've kept track of my costs to date for my 1200, doing the same for my 1500, and find that old or new, the costs add up. If I can make my riding as affordable as possible, it'll keep me riding for a long time.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

rudolphwolven wrote:***
Yes, by myself.......I saved approx. 1.200 labour hours x (say) $ 45,- = $ 54.000,-.......by restoring my '75 GL1000 K1 by myself......:oldies
Your shop is too clean :joker
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
LuckyEddie
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by LuckyEddie »

Do it even if it don't need it...
Before
Before
Image014.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 250 times
After
After
IMG_20160329_182209763.jpg (291.77 KiB) Viewed 250 times
LuckyEddie

1978 GL1000 Supercharged (Avitar)
1976 GL1000
1980 XS1100LG
1982 XV750J
1981 XV920RH
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

One of my best friends growing up became a bike mechanic. When I got my first motorcycle I asked him if I could bring it to him when it needed work and he said "No. You grew up working on bicycles so you should be able to do most of what your motorcycle needs by yourself. Get a Haynes book and when something needs doing sit next to the bike and read that part of the book and call me if you don't understand what it says". I never did need to call him.

Then a couple of years later we moved to a rural area where bike mechanics were scarce and I couldn't afford to ship a bike to a shop every time it stopped working so I had to learn even more about keeping them running myself.....
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

I'll swap/mount tires if I have to (Deadwood) but then I'll generally have them professionally balanced.
I do everything else.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

I do everything myself except for painting, which is a skill not quickly learned. Otherwise, I'm very comfortable rebuilding entire brake systems, mounting and balancing tires, bearing replacement, electrical debugging, minor welding, and now I'm venturing into the world of engine rebuilding with my next CB1100F resto-mod. And I've been known to do a little powder coating. ;) Except for having my first few sets of tires mounted and balanced, I have never had a shop do any work on any of my bikes over the past 20 years. Luckily there are plenty of knowledgeable people here that have helped me get over any hurdles I've encountered. A good support group makes a huge difference!
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

x01660 wrote:

All of the bikes I've ridden are older than me, and I think it'll stay that way for the forseeable future.

:mrgreen:
About the only mechanical thing older than me is the Kittyhawk. I despise electronic doodads that do all the thinking for you and give up the ghost in the Mohave. Coming from poverty, I had to fix everything myself. Could rarely even afford parts. The old stuff is pretty simple and easy to diagnose and repair. Newer cars and bikes are waaaay too complicated for me although they do tend to be a lot more reliable.
My wife's 2002 Shadow has electronic ignition. It always starts, always runs but if it died on a trip I'd be in a pickle.
While the old Goldwings are old school in every way, I think they're a pain to work on. Everything is difficult to get to. Mine has left me stranded twice - problems I couldn't diagnose on the road.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Aberdale wrote:
Lucien Harpress wrote:You forgot the "I maintain and repair my own motorcycles, but they don't always work correctly afterward"...
Ha! Good one. Been there - done that. Of course that's just an opportunity to work on it some more.

'dale
That certainly applies to me, after all the time, effort and money spent on my 1100, it's still not as good as I think it should be, but at least I can ride it. Think the crankshaft oil leak has returned, just got to get my enthusiasm back to give it another go, along with the jobs I planned to do.

On the GL, apart from the annual MOT, I do get the tyres changed professionally. Mainly so I know it has been done, including the balancing, properly.

The 1300 goes for an annual service and MOT by a mechanic I found in the next village who I consider a genius, and has a very good reputation, and reasonably priced.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
skydog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by skydog »

I'm with Terry . Learned by necessity to turn wrenches ,nobody else was going to do it.Also learned not to tear things up 'cause I'd be the one putting it back together again . Got good enough at it ,now I work and maintain close friends stuff .
75 naked "Blue Streak" gone
78 fairing bags "Brownie" 4 sale
80 standard project 4 sale
84 Standard, Vetter bags "Horse with no name"
85 Interstate gone
84 aspy
86 aspy
"When the day comes to settle down,who's to blame if you're not around?You took the long way home"
ancientdad
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by ancientdad »

I do all my own work except for cylinder boring, valve seats cut and this time around, porting on my 450 (the chuck lock broke on my big dremel and the bearings are about worn out in it anyway). I took the head to a young guy who runs a cylinder head repair service out of his garage, he did a nice job and it saved me the hours of effort I would have put in it. Don't plan to own anything newer than what I've already owned in my life as I'm not at all enamored with what has happened to bikes in the last 10 to 15 years as mentioned above, with the influx of computer controls and the need to take it to the dealer for so much stuff... my big bikes have run just fine over the years with no computers involved and that's good enough for me. I'm still running points in my 450 - nobody (yet) makes an EI that I feel is reliable enough to be worth the money (my signature at HT is "running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing"

edit: my father used to do all my paint work (except frames and small parts), so I might have more skills to freshen up and hone in the future... :-D
'73 CL450K5 brat
'84 VF1100S naked
among past rides
'79 and '80 CBXs
'75 and '76 GL1000s
(2) '73 CB750K3, '78 CB750K8/F2
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

I do all of my own work with a couple of exceptions. I will pay to have tires mounted and balanced, or in some cases paying to have bearings pressed in. There is some equipment I don't have, but it has always been my philosophy to spend the money to buy the tool vs paying someone else to do the work. My first restoration was a 1972 CB450 DOHC. That was a learning process. Next was a 1985 GL1200 Interstate. That one I had more discipline to the process. Now I'm into a 1981 GL1100 that should get rolling after the holidays are over. I don't know anyone who can afford to pay someone to bring an old Honda back to life.
"If everything is under control you are not going fast enough" - Mairo Andretti

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450