A Word About Motorcycle Insurance

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

brewer013
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: A Word About Motorcycle Insurance

Post by brewer013 »

I use Progressive via USAA. For the 75 GL1000 and my 80 CB750 its around $170 a year for liability and also uninsured motorist coverage. I noticed that any roadside assistance coverage raised the premium exponentially. My son knows how to hook up the trailer to his truck if needed haha
1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (café project, started Oct 2018)
1978 Honda CB400T Hawk II (son's project)
1980 Honda CB750C Café
1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200 stock dresser
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

brewer013 wrote:I use Progressive via USAA. For the 75 GL1000 and my 80 CB750 its around $170 a year for liability and also uninsured motorist coverage. I noticed that any roadside assistance coverage raised the premium exponentially. My son knows how to hook up the trailer to his truck if needed haha
I added my bike to my AAA card.

For $30 a year, it's worth it to me.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Hagerty did not blink at sending out a flat bed tow truck when I broke down.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
ancientdad
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by ancientdad »

I use Allstate on my '73 CL450K5 brat-style restomod and because I have roughly quadruple the money in it compared to its actual stock value, I have it full-coverage insured for $9000 for a grand total of $170 a year
'73 CL450K5 brat
'84 VF1100S naked
among past rides
'79 and '80 CBXs
'75 and '76 GL1000s
(2) '73 CB750K3, '78 CB750K8/F2
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Thanks for the chatter. I guess my rates aren't too far out of line considering Metro Phoenix is probably just a rotten place for auto and cycle insurance. I pay $352/year for the '97 Valkyrie. (Not Hagerty, too "new"). The '78 GL and the '79 CBX are through Hagerty and are both $355 for a year. I've had at least two bikes for as long as I can remember and just am getting fed up with the constantly rising insurance premiums.

And Rodger has given me the willies regarding litigation, seized assets and the like.

Sheesh.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

desertrefugee wrote:Thanks for the chatter. I guess my rates aren't too far out of line considering Metro Phoenix is probably just a rotten place for auto and cycle insurance. I pay $352/year for the '97 Valkyrie. (Not Hagerty, too "new"). The '78 GL and the '79 CBX are through Hagerty and are both $355 for a year. I've had at least two bikes for as long as I can remember and just am getting fed up with the constantly rising insurance premiums.

And Rodger has given me the willies regarding litigation, seized assets and the like.

Sheesh.
What coverage do you have on the 78?
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I just think about litigation because, as a physician I have been sued twice.... the first for 10 million, which was thrown out, and the second named in a class action on a drug "I didn't mean to sue Dr. Mattson, I love him" which was dropped.

the girl that drove in front of me lived with her parents in a double wide in rural Oklahoma, and so had nothing I could go after, beyond her 25k minimum. 25k did not quite cover the expenses. IF I were a surgeon with the thumb I now have, it is possible my career would have ended as I lost dexterity.... well, I cannot imagine not doing things, I would have worked around it, but working in the garage I now realize how much arthritis I have in THE OTHER THUMB

If I had been at fault, I have a nice house, some nice vehicles, a 401k, (and yes I can retire) but a nice income as a program director of a residency program. BUT you do have to think about what someone will come after if you are at fault (and even if you are not), but someone thinks you have DEEP POCKETS.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

my perspective changed a lot when I went into practice (at 50). I went to required "risk management" lecture when I first started and it was said the average doctor is sued once EVERY THREE YEARS! I looked around the room and thought there are a lot of unlucky blokes out there.
I was in practice three years when I was sued (the thrown out case). And less than 5 with the second (dropped because my patient did not intend to sue me)
I might add.... I have been in practice 16 years and only sued twice.... so I am beating the average
-Rodger-
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

SnoBrdr wrote:
desertrefugee wrote:Thanks for the chatter. I guess my rates aren't too far out of line considering Metro Phoenix is probably just a rotten place for auto and cycle insurance. I pay $352/year for the '97 Valkyrie. (Not Hagerty, too "new"). The '78 GL and the '79 CBX are through Hagerty and are both $355 for a year. I've had at least two bikes for as long as I can remember and just am getting fed up with the constantly rising insurance premiums.

Sheesh.
What coverage do you have on the 78?
I might've been misunderstood. The Hagerty policy is $355 for the two of them. I'll pull up the policy later and see what the coverage is, but it's pretty generous.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

desertrefugee wrote:
I might've been misunderstood. The Hagerty policy is $355 for the two of them. I'll pull up the policy later and see what the coverage is, but it's pretty generous.
WHEW!
thanks for the clarification, even I started to sweat & get a little jittery for you about that pricing.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

DRZ400 with comp/collision, and 79 GW with liability, $104 per year.
GW will get comp collision when my seat is recovered and I can ride it over, Progressive wants to see the bike. Of course the bill will increase.

Probably silly to keep comp/collision on a 40 year old wing and a dual sport bike...?
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
And a few late '60's - early '70's British thumpers
tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tory »

Regardless of insurance company Michigan has an additional MCCA (Michigan catosrophic claims assisment) per vehicle that I believe is currently$198.00/year.
However if the vehicle is 26 years or older and you plate it as historic/authentic the assessment is reduced to 20% That's is how I keep my insurance reasonable enough to keep multiple bikes on the road. Added bonus us I do not need to renew plates annually as well.
I'll attach links if they work.

http://www.michigancatastrophic.com/Con ... fault.aspx

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-1 ... --,00.html

There are limitations, but they are vague. I always ride for enjoyment, do not feel I take advantage of the system and have never been pulled over or questioned over it.
Last edited by tory on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

tory wrote:Regardless of insurance company Michigan has an additional MCCA (Michigan catosrophic claims assisment) per vehicle that I believe is currently$198.00/year.
However if the vehicle is 25 years or older and you plate it as historic/authentic the assessment is reduced to 20% That's is how I keep my insurance reasonable enough to keep multiple bikes on the road. Added bonus us I do not need to renew plates annually as well.
I'll attach links if they work.

http://www.michigancatastrophic.com/Con ... fault.aspx

There are limitations, but they are vague. I always ride for enjoyment, do not feel I take advantage of the system and have never been pulled over or questioned over it.
We still can't get Antique plates for MCs here in RI.

From what the DMV has been claiming for the past few years is that the company that makes their plates has been refusing to make them.

Sounds kinda like a lame excuse to me.

Every year they say, they will be available in the Spring but it has never happened,
tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tory »

Historic can be difficult to get here as well. I use authentic, which are old correct year (or stickered) plates usually found on eBay.
A color picture of plate, insurance and title with a check for $35.00 mail in and it's done. Not even a trip to the DMV

1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly
milesoffun
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by milesoffun »

I use Foremost (through AARP at the time - no longer a member but still have the insurance) for the last 8-9 years. I pay $130 total for both the 80 and 81, mainly liability as I remember. Never a claim so don't know how they pay. I'm in Alabama.
MilesOfFun
80 GL1100 - Yellow (Got wet due to Huricane Sally - gonna give it a try!)
83 GL1100I - Blue (Got wet due to Huricane Sally - but gonna give it a try!)