Might do the naked thing again

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Might do the naked thing again

Post by doubleminded »

I owned 2 78s one fulldress 82.the 78s were parts bikes.the 82 was a mint fulldress bike. I got tired of its bulk and weight.i dont tour anyway.i ride a little c50t that as soon as i can will be sold.2011 model only 4100 miles. I bought it on a whim when my project bikes kept failing.or i failed.i had to have something pushbutton ready last year while the season was starting.anyhow in denton texas every sunday morning we have a bike and coffee thing downtown.as many as 70 bikes have been there.so im drinking coffee.looking at my troublefree low mileage suzuki
.appreciating in a while i can push the button and ride home.i shoulda left. I hear a rumble.up rides a guy on an 80 1100 nakedized just how i would have done it.it had a flat olive drab paintjob.handmade seat.the frame rails that stick out when you remove the stock seat usually look stupid.he had fashioned a chrome piece that joined signals lights on the ends and the chopped off look was hidden.he did the obligatory bobbing of the front and rear fenders.he had straight shorty mufflers on the exhausts.like some i have seen in jc whitney. Im not sure how that effects tuning.he had the stock airbox and carbs. i wanted his bike.if i buy one i will probably do the same mods.except maybe single solex.he had some black tubing crashbars protecting the heads.i dont know if thoseever came stock.im well aware of ngw, randakk, steve saunders etc. Im about 99% sure once the suzuki is gone i will find a 1100 rider and make it the way i want.
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Might do the naked thing again

Post by Track T 2411 »

Good luck in your search. It makes a big difference when you know what you want, and how to get there. Taking on a full blown 'project' bike isn't for everyone, as you seem to have discovered. Finding a good 'runner' that will allow you to concentrate on the mods you want to make and still be able to ride sounds like the right plan for you. The right bike will come along!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Might do the naked thing again

Post by doubleminded »

Yes.i bought 3 cb650s once.i had all the parts to make 1 maybe 2 bikes.after a couple stripped threads and some other things i tired of it.i bought a rider gs 1000.it blew a headgasket. I proudly rebuilt it.i learned a lot.but i am terrified by shim and bucket valve adjustments.so give me a rider first.i can hacksaw parts and still ride.i learned a few things. Old bikes are always coming up with new problems.only a few old bikes, very few, have parrts easy to come by. If u cant fix it yourself dont buy it.nobody works on old bikes.fwiw old bikes are way cooler than the new ones in my opinion. And lastly i can build paint modify and customize 3 old bikes for less money than i can buy a new one.i will be 70 soon.so heavy aint my thing anymore.neither is gps, airbags, alarm systems, abs, computers stuff either. I need a strong motor, good seat, small windshield and a bungee cord for my duffel bag.
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.