How many bikes are too many?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: How many bikes are too many?

Post by desertrefugee »

Lol. Yeah, Terry. You need to find a good mechanic. Or lose the lemon. Some are just jinxed.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

When I look at a bike like that I don't see a problem......I see a challenge. And perhaps a learning opportunity.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Unfortunately I'm stuck with me as the mechanic
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

tlbranth wrote:Unfortunately I'm stuck with me as the mechanic
I've never met you, that I remember. But you do not seem to be, to me, the kind of person that gives up very easy. But I also realize that at some point the money it takes to do some thing . makes doing it stupid. But at some point you have to say enough is enough. Or deep dive to make a point. I have a 78 that I have had since 1980. C5 ignition, nitros, custom body work, custom front end, and on and on. I built it for "time on the Dragon", because I was told that a Goldwing could not do it. So I proved my point. (this was the early 80's). So when It comes to my 78, I will spent stupid money. But I do understand a bike that just cries out to be set on fire. I guess it comes down how determined a person is not to be beaten by a machine, or to make a point. Go with your heart, and not your head
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

When I was younger I loved tinkering - went out of my way to do so. I still take stuff apart to see how it works. I'm 75 now and in constant pain from rheumatism and would like to reap some reward from all the work I've put in instead of constantly re-doing what I've already done. Had the 1000 running perfectly albeit with poor mileage. Took it out the other day and the smooth low-speed rollout was gone. Jerky. Yes I did the off-idle fix. The bike runs rich and I don't know why. I'd lower the needles if I could. That fixed things on my CB. The needles and jets they stick into wear out and enrich the mixture. The bike runs great cold and then worse as it warms. I've thought of lowering the fuel level a couple of mm but that means pulling the carbs again for more guesswork. I don't mind fixing something. Coming from poverty I learned to fix pretty much anything except electronics. But it's annoying to have to keep re-fixing. I love riding the 1000....but not when it's not running right. I'll keep it and mess with it some more when I don't have so much else to do.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Sometimes when you walk away for a short time, an d then return with fresh eyes, things come together. Hang in there.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I do feel your pain, Terry. Let me tell you about bikes that are needy. If you think carburetors on a GL are finicky, carburetors on a CBX are worse.

Please don't ask me to go to detail. It would be a far worse rant than the one you just made...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I agree. I had problems with my CBX until I sorted it out.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

tlbranth wrote:Unfortunately I'm stuck with me as the mechanic
I was actually joking. You have posted technical tidbits on here for long enough and I've seen your rewire schematic. Either one is enough to convince me that you don't need a mechanic...

Except for the part about the Vanagon. All they need is a little love. Okay maybe more than just a little...
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I am sure you have checked but when you mention getting bad once warmed up the first thing that comes to mind is an air leak at the rubber boot clamps. Make sure those are tightened up at full temp when the rubber is most pliable.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Chainman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Chainman »

Hey Y'all, I got to five bikes today.

I bought these two for $20 a piece! My daughter was chatting with an old friend and mentioned my interest in vintage bikes and the next day I'm helping her clean out garage.
1972 sc5
IMG_20200305_171223.jpg
IMG_20200305_171223.jpg (134.9 KiB) Viewed 415 times
And then this thing also; package deal...nice rack though.
:crosso
Attachments
IMG_20200305_163858.jpg
IMG_20200305_163858.jpg (143.6 KiB) Viewed 415 times
1975 GL1000
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

20 apiece! Outstanding score. And yes, you have it too. MBS. It’s afflicts motorcyclists worldwide. Comparable to the coronavirus. Spreads quickly and is easily transmitted from one human to another. There is no cure. At least it’s not fatal…
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

desertrefugee wrote:I do feel your pain, Terry. Let me tell you about bikes that are needy. If you think carburetors on a GL are finicky, carburetors on a CBX are worse.

Please don't ask me to go to detail. It would be a far worse rant than the one you just made...
after my husband had been stolen from his CBX for 22 years, my husband bought another one, always gray and always from 78 from Canada, he was only 2300 km long, he was impeccable, but stopped for 11 years. it was the biggest motorcycle mistake of his life. The carburetors have been disassembled and washed with ultrasound 9 times, and each time a new kit of O-rings, before the motorcycle started to work well, spent a madness, every intervention on the carburetors, disassembly, washing, overhaul, balance and reassembly, it cost from 250 to 350 euros, spent a fortune and lost 8 months. When they saw him on that motorcycle, they all went to hide at the Honda dealership because they no longer knew what to do. a Honda Inspector came specifically to view the CBX, but without solving the problem. It went on with 5 cylinders, usually the first cylinder on the left didn't work, only when it had warmed up very well did it start to go. At other times he ran out of fuel from the third carburettor from the right, at other times he did not rev up. Now peer luck works very well and flies like a plane.
Paola
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Paola Zago wrote:
desertrefugee wrote:I do feel your pain, Terry. Let me tell you about bikes that are needy. If you think carburetors on a GL are finicky, carburetors on a CBX are worse.

after my husband had been stolen from his CBX for 22 years, my husband bought another one, always gray and always from 78 from Canada, he was only 2300 km long, he was impeccable, but stopped for 11 years. it was the biggest motorcycle mistake of his life. The carburetors have been disassembled and washed with ultrasound 9 times, and each time a new kit of O-rings, before the motorcycle started to work well, spent a madness, every intervention on the carburetors, disassembly, washing, overhaul, balance and reassembly, it cost from 250 to 350 euros, spent a fortune and lost 8 months. When they saw him on that motorcycle, they all went to hide at the Honda dealership because they no longer knew what to do. a Honda Inspector came specifically to view the CBX, but without solving the problem. It went on with 5 cylinders, usually the first cylinder on the left didn't work, only when it had warmed up very well did it start to go. At other times he ran out of fuel from the third carburettor from the right, at other times he did not rev up. Now peer luck works very well and flies like a plane.
Paola
Although I am fairly comfortable working on GoldWing carburetors, if I had a CBX they would go to J.R. Luksik (CBX-tras) for rebuild. I have met him, and seen the quality of his work.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

My brother tells me the VTX 1300R he sold me has been on lay up for 6 months.
He said he had a new battery put in it and it started once or twice. He also said the carbs appear to be leaking and now it won't start. I'm leaving for Laguna Vista on Tuesday to go pick it up, its 600 miles away. So, I guess I will address all this when I get it home after Wed.
Jim is still quite week as he continues to take intravenous antibiotics. He's on his feet though and able to ambulate a little till his strength is sapped. The Drs say he will continue to be week until he finishes his antibiotics. But, slowly he is getting his spring back in his step. He still has a dour outlook though. I hope I can work out the bugs and sell him back a good running bike. He as of now professes that he won't be coming back to the fully living. I just laugh and shake my head. I hear it in his voice he's getting stronger every day.
Paolo, you sound very knowledgable about MCs. Good for you.

Blessings to all.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone