Back to the subject of motorcycles

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Back to the subject of motorcycles

Post by 77Gowing »

I bought the following in preparation for Vintage days.
A big saddleman's rear bag, a tank bag and a rear rack bag. They are all high quality products. That said I'm disappointed with the instructions. All three do not go into detail as to how to use some of the odd straps they come with. The saddle man especially. I'm not worried or anything but I guess it's going to be trial and error. I've plenty of time before the trip. I'm just annoyed that "competent destructions" are not included. I know, figure it out on your own and I guess I'll have to. But for my money there should be ample detail explaining things and how they are intended by the designer to attach them. One of the bags came with no instructions. I'm a big boy and can figure it out...true. But as I've said over the years while working with very sophisticated equipment, that you can tell you have quality by the manuals and instructions that come with an item. Since I'm left to fend for myself, I guess my bike is going to look like the Clampets packed it. You will recognize my bike it will be the one with Grannie's rocking chair strapped on top. :lol:
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: Back to the subject of motorcycles

Post by Oldewing »

I have found when I strap a bag on the bike, too much is just enough.... anim-cheers1

And never put anything in the tank bag that you don't want to eat if you get hit...

I save the tank bag for things I will use on the trip, gloves, rain gear, gps and the like. So you aren't ripping into the "packed" stuff at every gas stop.

All of this will become clear after 4 or 5 gas stops on your trip. :crosso dancr crossy.gif crossy.gif
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Let me give a packing hint: pack only the minimum necessary, then take out half and leave it at home. I've found microfiber clothing washes out in a sink and dries over night (except socks - take extra). Rain gear over armor keeps heat in on cold mornings and high altitudes. A pair of tennis shoes for walking will also give more time for wet boots to dry. Oh yeah, treat leather boots heavily (polish or water proofing) before the trip. I forgot this last May before a 4200 mile trip, and both my and the wife's boots were ruined (cracked leather) by three days of wet riding.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Thanks all for chiming in. I will do my daily rides with my bike to get to know how to handle it all. Since July is a ways off I have ample opportunity to practice and experiment. I looked closer at my tank bag last evening while riding mr recliner and pretty well figured it out. It was worth every penny I paid and is well made.
The rack bag and the big travel saddleman's I'm just going to have to figure it out if I cannot contact saddleman's directly.

Thanks for the help fellas.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

77Gowing wrote:Thanks all for chiming in. I will do my daily rides with my bike to get to know how to handle it all. Since July is a ways off I have ample opportunity to practice and experiment. I looked closer at my tank bag last evening while riding mr recliner and pretty well figured it out. It was worth every penny I paid and is well made.
The rack bag and the big travel saddleman's I'm just going to have to figure it out if I cannot contact saddleman's directly.

Thanks for the help fellas.
Remember everything you pack adds weight to the rig. And all of it that is above the axle line effects handling. And the balance between front and rear also is effected
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Cyborg thanks I was aware of that but reminding me certainly does not hurt.
I intend to pack two days of clothing plus two extra pair of skivies. Figuring that while in Lexington during the week I can wash whatever needs washing. The same for the over the road days. Each hotel will have laundry facilities. Other than clothes, I'm taking my CPAP machine an absolute must without it I'm groggy and that is a bad mix for riding. Then tools. I have the original Honda kit in my shelter tray with lots of room left. So I intend to throw in some common metric wrenches that are used on the bike.
In my rear rack bag will bring compact socket set that I use when I'm at home wrenching on my bikes. It's very small but has most common sae & metric sockets. Of course will throw in a couple JIS screw drivers.
And a medium and large Cresent wrench.

Let me know if I forgot anything.
Small toiletry bag. My meds. My hydration kit and my new rain gear.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Poor instructions are becoming more common every year. These days the excuse (which I don't accept) is usually that there is a video online that shows you how but that doesn't help when you are out in the garage and can't see your computer's screen (and don't even suggest you can see how to do something well enough on a smartphone screen).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....