Safety items I learned the hard way.

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Safety items I learned the hard way.

Post by ericheath »

Whiskerfish and Doug, you guys are my role models!!! Or I guess now it’s roll models.

I am seriously talking to myself all the time about not getting too crazy and when I have the urge it can be all alone so if anyone gets hurt it’s just me. This one just happened unexpectedly and in a bad spot. Same thing happening out of traffic would have been fine.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I looked over my jacket and gloves today. They were torn to just shy of skin level. The right shoulder was the worst. Torn right through, then surprisingly to me the right arm pit, then right forearm. The gloves were Holmes brand work gloves, nylon fabric in the back pretty torn up. I was on smooth concrete not black top asphalt. That probably helped. The fact that I never rapped my head or any other extremities is amazing. I am just really thankful the guy behind me was not pushing it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 30&t=60678

Post by Goboy »

Glad your still up and walking. When I was reading your description of the accident I just kept thinking "Oh my god, Oh my god". The bike taking out off on a rant reminded me of this:
Bat out of HELL.jpg
Bat out of HELL.jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 204 times
You're too small to ride a hog Billy!

Mike
1978 GL1000
Previous bikes: 05 Yamaha FJR 1300, 79 Suzuki GS 1000, 75 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Kawasaki S2 350
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Couple days ago coming back from Va Beach on the 1800 I had to show a pony Gt the error of his ways. I hit 5th gear passing 110 and he was back a good little bit. If he had stuck it out I think he could have run past me eventually. I guess a couple dudes on their noisy V twins saw part of it and wanted to play, that did not last long at all. Because of the oversized windscreen and all the wind deflectors mine tops out about 120, But it sure gets to 110 or so really quick! Pulled out of the garage the other day and tried to pop a wheelie in front of my Neighbor but the tire was too cold and i just ended up wasting a bunch of rubber.

Yes I have control issues lol2004 lol2004 lol2004 lol2004 lol2004 lol2004
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

some of the worst accidents I have had, is because I was pushing the limits..... and maybe acting a little crazy. It is who I am. And what riding is to me.
right or wrong, the challenge is what keeps me alive, and gives me, in part, the will to live. Been thinking lately that If I reach 100 I might have to get a three wheeler...….. or maybe a side car ;)
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

CYBORG wrote:snip.... Been thinking lately that If I reach 100 I might have to get a three wheeler...….. or maybe a side car ;)
My dad has been on a trike since he was 65. Knee issues. He is only 90 now so a few years to go yet. His brother, my uncle, is 100 though and my aunt is 97. They don't ride though and never did. lolol

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

A person has to dream.....and plan for the future......it keeps them alive. Stop dreaming, and you die
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

That sounds a lot better than,” Stop working and you die.” I’ll take one of those.

Whiskerfish, your 1800 has a “governor” of sorts doesn’t it? Ooooops!
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

ericheath wrote:SNIP
Yea but the backseat gov is usually only installed on weekends lolol lolol lolol
1984 GL1200 Standard

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Whiskerfish wrote:
ericheath wrote:SNIP
Yea but the backseat gov is usually only installed on weekends lolol lolol lolol
My 1100 has one of those... but not the 1000! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The worst part of this is I really did not have my riding head on. It was my third or fourth ride and none were more than a couple miles.

Another factor, I hate to admit, but probably was in this situation is the wide car tire. It easily “out-traction’s” (I know , not a word) the front tire.

If I hold the front brake and goose the throttle just sitting still, it pushes the front tire along skidding. With a stuck throttle, I had no chance slowing it down once moving.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I just have to really assess the potential risk vs reward, vs stupid punk 63 year old kid having to whack the throttle.
I see Whiskerfish already quoted this passage, and I had intended to quote till I saw his - but decided to anyway.

Why? Because for me, whacking the throttle IS the reward. There’s a reason that a lot of the machines I ride are high performance. Horsepower to weight ratio. People ride for different reasons, most of them therapeutic. I guess for me adrenaline is therapy.

You’re never too old for that.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

My wife says you are NOT helping.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

:lol:

Good!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

lolol lolol lolol lolol :flamer :flamer :flamer :flamer dancr dancr dancr dancr dancr
1984 GL1200 Standard