CERAKOTE and Vapor Blasting

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

CERAKOTE and Vapor Blasting

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Rebuilding my '85 Limited Edition 1200 engine. Have had the engine cases, covers and attachments vapor blasted, turned out quite good. Here's a picture of the rear cover before - it was cleaned as much as possible prior to:
Rear Cover Stripped.jpg
Rear Cover Stripped.jpg (372.4 KiB) Viewed 885 times
After:
Rear Cover Final.jpg
Rear Cover Final.jpg (526.48 KiB) Viewed 885 times
This process does not remove any metal, and as such, cannot remove any surface imperfections the way sand/grit blasting will. Here is a pic of the water pump cover surface, well nicked but clean:
Water Pump Cover Surface.jpg
Water Pump Cover Surface.jpg (297.8 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Was going to wait a year or two, using ACF-50 to protect the engine against rust, surface degradation, but these parts are clean and grease free so it would make sense to apply a product that is purported to last a very long time and provide a sealant/protectorant function. The engine is mostly hidden from view and as such having a very good finish is not as much an issue as with a more exposed engine.

I have been reading about CERAKOTE, and discussed it with the fellow who did the vapor blasting. The finish is extremely smooth and does not lend itself to any form of paint application and this includes CERAKOTE. I would have to have all the parts grit blasted, or spend a lot of time scuffing up the finish for any paint system to adhere. I did more research on the CERAKOTE products and found Cerakote Clear - Aluminum MC-5100. This is a product that can be applied directly to a variety of aluminum surfaces.

Here is the company info:

Cerakote Clear - Aluminum MC-5100 has been specifically engineered for performance on all common alloys of aluminum, including magnesium alloys. Common applications include polished, brushed, raw and anodized aluminum used in architectural, automotive, industrial, consumer goods and more.

Easy to apply, ready to spray, direct to aluminum
Simple Dawn Dish Soap & water preparation
Tack free in approximately 1 hour Air Cure (full cure in 24 hours)
Preserves true aluminum look while protecting against oxidation & dulling
100% Inorganic Formulation is completely UV stable. Will not yellow or haze.
Unparalleled adhesion, chemical resistance, UV stability and hydrophobic properties on all alloys of aluminum, including Magnesium. (See TDS for details)
This coating excels in outdoor applications.

*NOTE: This product does not require catalyst. This color does require a 325 Mesh Strainer (SE-277).

Sent an email to CERAKOTE about Cerakote Clear - Aluminum MC-5100 . The company came back with "MC-5100 or MC-Clears will adhere to a vapor blasted surface". This is good news because of the quality of the product and the sealing and protectorant aspect. Have contacted the CDN distributor and it has a quart in stock. Only require a pint. Will contact the CDN distributor tomorrow. Was going to wait and see what the finish would be like in a year or two using only ACF-50, but everything is clean and degreased so now is the time to apply this product or a similar. Will still use ACF-50 as it has corrosion resistant properties.

Thought I'd pass on this info. Cheers
Last edited by Rednaxs60 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: CERAKOTE and Vapor Blasting

Post by robin1731 »

Vapor blasting is pretty nice. Scroll down to post #10 on this link. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65300

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

if you want to apply cerakote then you need to blast the surface with aluminum oxide. I use 120 grit.
I was told by the owner of the company I get my finish from that if you looked at the surface of something you blasted with glass beads under a microscope it would look like a golf ball. silica sand isn't much better. Aluminum oxide leaves nice jagged marks which promotes much better adhesion.
If you weren't on the wrong coast I would do them for you. :mrgreen:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The wrong coast - BC, bring cash, or a tent, works either way dancr dancr . Did equal time on both when in the Navy. I get to ride all year out here.

Was told the same thing regarding CERAKOTE, but the product I'm looking at using is the MC-5100 clear that does not require any surface prep other than washing with dawn soap, and will adhere to the vapor blasted surface. Mentioned this in my post above. Be a bit miffed if the company info is incorrect, and if so, the email from the company would be incorrect as well.

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Gc33
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Gc33 »

One bit of advice I can give.... And rednax60 and myself have been chatting a bit about the vapour blasting... I was told that if you vapour blast carbs be prepared to do a FULL strip down of ya carbs... And I can attest to this as I have stripped the carbs and cleaned with copious amounts of carb/injector cleaner and compressed air.... And the vapour blast media does get in EVERYWHERE! 1 owner in Queensland said to me that after they had blasted their carbs they could never get them to run right again....
Gc33
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Gc33 »

And as for vapour blasting... I had my heads done... Very happy....
Attachments
20200903_210307.jpg
20200903_210307.jpg (251.78 KiB) Viewed 801 times
20200904_141505.jpg
20200904_141505.jpg (271.31 KiB) Viewed 801 times
20200903_210418.jpg
20200903_210418.jpg (229.65 KiB) Viewed 801 times
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Rednaxs60 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 pm The wrong coast - BC, bring cash, or a tent, works either way dancr dancr . Did equal time on both when in the Navy. I get to ride all year out here.

Was told the same thing regarding CERAKOTE, but the product I'm looking at using is the MC-5100 clear that does not require any surface prep other than washing with dawn soap, and will adhere to the vapor blasted surface. Mentioned this in my post above. Be a bit miffed if the company info is incorrect, and if so, the email from the company would be incorrect as well.
I skipped over the part that you quoted from the company. :mrgreen:
KG Coatings (my supplier) has air cured finish as well although I've never done a lot of research in to it in regards to prep. I do know that if you don't clean your air brush immediately after you use it and the finish dries..you just ruined your air brush.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The reason I went with the CERAKOTE MC-5100 was to protect the engine and engine parts finish knowing that most of the engine is buried behind the body panels and not seen. It works over just about any aluminum surface with minimal surface prep. I had read a lot about this product line and I wanted to try it. Won't be removing parts/pieces or the engine after this for a while and a lot of crud gets up into areas that don't get a lot of attention. If it protects the engine finish as I hope it will, well worth the price.

Had to buy a quart so I will be trying the MC-5100 product on other areas that need a protective coating such as the backsides of some of the pieces. It should adhere to painted surfaces just as well considering it is purported to adhere to polished aluminum.

My thoughts on the prep work for the CERAKOTE products is much the same for a good paint job. I'm not a fan of the prep work, time consuming, but if I don't pay attention to it all my work is for naught. I do enjoy the end result.

I have one final project for my '85 Limited Edition and that is to strip it one more time to the frame, and do the frame and associated main parts. Paint the last rear fender piece under the seat, do the wheel rims and brake calipers. You may wonder why not do it now. Want to get the bike back on the road, clean up the garage and enjoy the bike for a few years, and I have a 1500 engine rebuild to do fall 2021. My riding friends ask me why I don't just buy a new/newer bike and just ride. Not as much fun, would have to rely more on a dealership for work. The cost is not that much for the work I'm doing, but the time spent is a lot and makes the project(s) seem expensive.

A DIY paint job for your bike, using inexpensive $20.00 CDN spray guns from Princess Auto with a small shop compressor can be done for say $600.00 all in. Did a three part paint system on my 1500 using these spray guns. My friend had a custom paint job done on his Triumph Rocket III and it was north of $3K CDN. One of the expensive issues is primer, if you prime with a spray gun not so, but I use spray cans and the cost can add up. The paint for my '85 Limited Edition is going to be about $150.00 CDN so not too bad, already have a variety of spray guns to use. May be re-gifting some to my brother, or offering them up at a ridiculous price to get them gone.

Enough rambling. Enjoy your fall weather. Cheers

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Gc33 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:29 am One bit of advice I can give.... And rednax60 and myself have been chatting a bit about the vapour blasting... I was told that if you vapour blast carbs be prepared to do a FULL strip down of ya carbs... And I can attest to this as I have stripped the carbs and cleaned with copious amounts of carb/injector cleaner and compressed air.... And the vapour blast media does get in EVERYWHERE! 1 owner in Queensland said to me that after they had blasted their carbs they could never get them to run right again....

This is very true. The part about the media getting every where that is. I do multiple rinses and sometimes even put the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner again. Depending on what they are. Carbs should be completely disassembled before blasting them. That is why the cost to add vapor blasting/honing is so high. A lot of extra time involved.

However, I have done several sets of inline four carbs and they ran just fine afterwards.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Try doing it to a helicopter!! It would take us a week of taping things up then 3-4 days of blasting then another week of cleanup before we could do our pre paint inspections.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Just for grins I did try it on a set of really rough carbs from an old CB350 four cylinder. Had the bowls and tops on. Even being careful not to point the "gun" any place for any amount of time The carbs were full of media. Even the slides, which moved fine before, would barely move and you could hear the grit from the media.

I did that to find out what would happen. For the guy that thinks "Just throw them in whole" because he doesn't want to pay up for a quality job. shakehands lolol

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Fuel Injection, Fuel injection!! dancr Oops, have a 1500. Carbs are buried behind body panels, no need to make pretty.

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Try granulated suger or soda blasting on carbs. It still gets in but just dissolves away.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Did one of those DIY sand blaster guns using a cheap air gun. Tried it with granulated sugar and was quite surprised at the results. Does better than walnut shells for removing rust/paint. Still makes a mess all over but easier to sweep up and dispose of.

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)