Age Old Question: Ride or Shine?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Age Old Question: Ride or Shine?

Post by Sidecar Bob »

My bikes get washed once a year, whether they need it or not.
The 'Wing is supposed to be shiny; I have a feather duster hanging next to where I park for when it gets dusty (this was needed more often when it sat outside at work all day after driving on dirt/gravel roads to get there) and it might get an extra wash if we decide to go to the cruise night and it has been out in the rain. I always plan for it to have its annual bath in the fall before storage but there have been years when it was too cold out so it had to wait until spring. Just don't look at the wheels too closely because the only time I give them any particular attention is when I'm changing a tire.

The CX is only shiny where something rubs. The left side cover, for example, has an area where my pant leg fluttering against it has been buffed through the colour the bike has been since 2007 leaving rings of the 2 previous colours around a patch of bare plastic, all of which couldn't be any smoother or shinier if I used the buffing wheel. I re-painted the cover the first couple of years but finally gave up (one of these days I'll find something metal to put over that area but I'll probably replace the cover first). It is a really bad idea to wash a vehicle during the winter because the water can get into nooks & crannies and freeze (this tends to make the brake pedal stop returning after application). Also, water is what actually causes the rust (salt is just a catalyst) so it won't rust much under a coating of salt & dirt (especially if you oil spray in the fall) but if you wash and don't get it thoroughly dry (hard to do when it is cold out) rust will take hold fast. So it doesn't get washed until the street sweepers have been around in the spring and it has rained twice to wash away what they missed (by then it can sit in the sun afterward).

But you missed part of the question. It should be "Ride, shine or wrench?" Even in years when there are no major projects to be done on them I tent to spend more time working on the bikes than shining them :roll:
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

It only takes a couple minutes to wipe down my bikes after a ride, but I would rather just ride, but I force myself to do it. A bit of spray and wipe detail wax, etc. getting down to wipe the wheel rims is the worst.
But they do run better clean, I’m sure of that. I have never taken a garden hose and a bucket of soapy water to a bike in my life. I draw a line there.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

If you saw my winter machine in the spring you would understand why the bucket of soapy water is only step 3 of washing it :orange
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

I never saw major issue with some soapy water and a good hose-down. I figure if it can't put up with that, it can't put up with rain either, and then I got bigger problems.

I draw the line at pressure washers. That's a great way to ruin something.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
avg_joe
Titanium Member
Titanium Member
My Album: http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... torcycles/

Post by avg_joe »

I usually give them all a good cleaning in the pre-spring when it is starting to feel like it could start getting nice out. It is a good way to get me out in the garage and put hands on bikes. I run a hose from the laundry sink in the house, so I have hot water, and I turn the heat up in the garage, and give them a thorough washing, drying and waxing. Then it is usually only a matter of wiping off the dust...unless I get caught out in the weather. My car, I don't care if it is dirty, rusty, dented, or what not....as long as it runs. My pickup, I tend to take a little better care of, as it cost a bit more, and is a nicer vehicle. I don't usually get to worked up over the 4 wheeled ones, as they are just vehicles. The bikes are toys.
In the garage:
1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 with California Side Car hack
1982 FT500 Ascot(Wife's bike)
1983 FT500 Ascot
1983 XL600R(with some 85 parts)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

^^^ THIS!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Makes more sense to give them a good cleaning before storage and just dust them off in the spring. That way the dirt won't contribute to deterioration during storage. Some recommend applying wax before you cover the bike up (old bed sheets work best for that) but not buffing it until you are getting it ready to use so that the wax gives it a tiny bit more protection.
avg_joe
Titanium Member
Titanium Member
My Album: http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... torcycles/

Post by avg_joe »

Yeah, they usually get cleaned up pretty good for their winter nap...oil change, fuel topped off, carbs drained, battery brought in the garage, and a thorough wipe down. The bikes that go out in the shed stay pretty clean, as there is nobody out there to make dust. The ones that stay in the garage tend to get dusty from the garage action.

In the spring, I usually have the bikes out and ready to go before the weather and roads are suitable, and cleaning them is a way to get some bike therapy....
ALSO.....as far as making sense goes...THAT has never been my strong suit. :joker
In the garage:
1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 with California Side Car hack
1982 FT500 Ascot(Wife's bike)
1983 FT500 Ascot
1983 XL600R(with some 85 parts)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

You know my answer to cold weather bike withdrawal: When you get to play in the snow on a sidecar outfit all winter spring "bike therapy" is a lot less needed :orange :orange :orange
sidecar.GIF
sidecar.GIF (16 KiB) Viewed 242 times
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:50 pm You know my answer to cold weather bike withdrawal: When you get to play in the snow on a sidecar outfit all winter spring "bike therapy" is a lot less needed :orange :orange :orange
sidecar.GIF
snowmobiles in the winter are a good distraction to help keep summer riding fresh :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I thought about getting a snowmobile once. There are too many days when you can't use a sled or a 2 wheeler but I haven't yet seen a day when I couldn't take a sidecar outfit out.
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

kinda funny this topic comes up now, for the very first time in many, many years, I washed the 1200 AND WAXED it, just last week.

I dunno what came over me.

I've always been more like ritalz mentioned... windshield & mirrors was all I needed clean.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I won a bottle of Mother's Wash & Wax a few years ago (door prize at a cruise night). Using that on the 'Wing if I'm going somewhere people are going to look at it is about as close as I get to waxing.

If the weather keeps up like it has been the winter one will get it's annual bath soon: I'll start by hosing it off to remove anything loose, then mix some mineral spirits and methanol in a tub and apply it where I want to wash off the RustCheck with a selection of brushes and let that sit for a while, hose it off again before that has evaporated and then go over it with detergent & water in a pump spray (& more brush work) and finally a bucket of hot soapy water and a car wash brush. It takes several hours from start to finish.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I use lemon pledge.
spray it on everything.
quick, easy and the smell goes away soon enough.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

dontwantapickle wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:57 pm I use lemon pledge.
spray it on everything.
quick, easy and the smell goes away soon enough.
Seems like I did that, back in the day, and it attracted dust
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200