Check This CL Ad

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Check This CL Ad

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

I found this charmer on the Raleigh NC Craigslist late last night for (Wait For It!)....

ImageYellow Goldwing II by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

...$650!!

"Garage kept...No title, and the motor is stuck'...but of course I emailed immediately and called as soon as I got up...but it had been up for three days by the time I saw it...somebody got a great deal!
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Check This CL Ad

Post by MikeNTexas »

Ya snooze ya loose!
1975 GL1000 Restored (sold)
1983 GL1100 Custom (sold)
1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Another1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Lol - Literally! :lol:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

That's an abomination, John! It's not Naked!! :lol:
Last edited by gltriker on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, Yeah...but just like Gypsy Rose Lee, the fun is in the disrobing! I would've loved to strip her down...especially getting that big bucket off her backside....

(Ya'll DO know who Gypsy Rose Lee is, right...?? :oldies)
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Okay, UPDATE -and please let me know what y'all think about this - but I did cave in and offer this guy his $700 for the above-mentioned machine... (he upped it by $50 - a little red flag there...). I've emailed him and called him several times, even texted with him that I have the cash and am willing to travel to pick it up, I just need to hear from him. He seemed amenable to the transaction, yet texts me and asks me what I'm planning to do with it (fix it and ride it, of course!), and then tells me he's posted it on the Raleigh NC CL under 'motorcycle parts', where indeed it is, for $700...my attempts to reach him have gone unanswered, and based on the apparent bikes condition and comparatively low price, I think I'm being led down the primrose path here...I think I'm being rather naïve here...has anybody else hit this guy up about it?
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mpo/d/ro ... 58058.html

I'm beginning to smell the smelly smell of something smelling smelly...what would you do?

I think I know what's going on here, but I thought I would table this and see if any of y'all have ever had a fishy deal like this before. I'm beginning to wonder if this bike is real.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

to much money for thatbike, in that condition.........even if it does exist
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Here's another used Goldwing ad that appears to be from the same fishmonger.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mpo/d/ro ... 66654.html
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Heh - yeah, you're right Cliff; that's the same yard the yellow one is in...note the picket fence and pickup truck...

Well, sh**!! "FREE to a good home" My A**! At least I caught on before driving all the way down there.

Still, wtf is he doing putting that on CL if he's a BS artist and not selling?? He's got to be inundated with calls/offer by this time...seeking attention, maybe..? The motivations of people mystify me.

Oh well - C'est la vie; le cherche continues...
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:28 pm He seemed amenable to the transaction, yet texts me and asks me what I'm planning to do with it (fix it and ride it, of course!), and then tells me he's posted it on the Raleigh NC CL under 'motorcycle parts'
I once bought a parts bike on the strict condition that it was for parts only and not to be put back into rideable condition. Apparently the PO had a bad fall and was convinced that it was that particular bike's fault and didn't want it to be able to hurt anyone else.
Perhaps this is a similar case and he backed out because you said you wanted to ride it.

It is also possible that he is afraid you will find out that he doesn't really own it when you try to register it (most pople don't bother to register parts bikes).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Also, the lack of a title on a nicely preserved bike like that is a potential red flag as well. I am always suspect of bikes being sold without titles.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

*AND* I just got another text from him asking if I can do $800 now...I figured he would, though. So far it's gone from $650 up to $800. Uh, No, thanks.

Verbatim text: "Can u do 800? Looking on Ebay the prices r crazy for parts...I can get 400 just for exhaust."

On a personal note, it really frosts my tailpipe when some yahoo finds a beautiful bike somewhere and says 'Hey! Ahm gunna cut this sukker down an' sell 'er fer PARTS!" Captain Clueless here has NO idea what he has(IF indeed he has it!). Granted, not every bike is saveable - value is assigned, and for the most part not intrinsic...but I think old motorcycles are works of art, like going to the Louvre, or MOMA...there were only 500 of those Sulfur Yellow GL1000's made, and to see some 'unique individual' chop it up so he can buy more crack just makes me sick. Sorry, just my two cents. I get carried away sometimes.
Last edited by Dr. Frankenstein on Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Yup, that's the wrong direction that price negotiation's supposed to go. It's either a scam or the guy's an idiot, and neither of them are worth your time.

EDIT: Re-reading what he replied with, the most generous reading of things looks like a guy who had no clue what he had, saw he was getting some interest, so hopped on eBay, saw some optimistic parts prices, and now is trying to readjust higher.

Even then it's pretty far off the mark. $400 for the exhaust? NOS maybe. Heck, possibly, MAYBE if it was cleaned up and repainted you MIGHT crack $300. But highly unlikely.

(Sidebar, for my own amusement- I'm genuinely curious how accurate the "only 500 yellow GL1000s" figure is. I've heard estimated production numbers of the '76 LTD from 2000 up to 4000, and the yellows seem to turn up far more often than those do. Not saying yellow 1000s aren't rare- 500 just seems egregiously low. (shrugs) Ah well. Just pondering.)
Last edited by Lucien Harpress on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

I am sure we all have stories after doing this for many years. Frankly count your blessings that your not getting involved with this. It's not important what the deal is on the bike; you likely dodged a bullet in so many ways.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Lucien, I'm just recanting what I read online, from the demigod Randakk's website:
https://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-vin ... explained/

"Yes, the generally accepted number is that 500 yellow bikes were made for the 1976 model year. Unfortunately, there is no coding in the VIN# for body color, so there is no sure way to know if a bike was originally yellow other than good owner documentation. Sometimes color is listed on the original Bill of Sale or other dealer paperwork. Also, many yellow bikes were considered hard to sell by dealers and were changed to other colors before they were sold."

And also:
"EDIT: Re-reading what he replied with, the most generous reading of things looks like a guy who had no clue what he had, saw he was getting some interest, so hopped on eBay, saw some optimistic parts prices, and now is trying to readjust higher."

Lucien, you're exactly right. But from what I've read, the '76 LTD was only released in metallic brown, with special badging in recognition of the Bicentennial - gold rims, etc.

Full disclosure here guys, but have you taken a look at it...? It's All There... 18K on the clock, supposedly...I don't even think I'd touch the Vetter on this one, although I would dump that big-A** trunk in the back: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mpo/d/ro ... 58058.html

Note the elusive rear grab bar...True, the bike has its foibles: "no title, motor stuck", and even when I backed him up against his price and mentioned that, I think he's getting sellers remorse, just as Lucien described. We agreed on the 700, but (as Lucien pointed out above) now he's getting hinky and mooing about getting more for the parts than the bike. It kills me to think he's going to take such a pristine example of a rare bike and just chop it apart - After some introspection,
I actually think what I'm trying to do is rescue it. Am I not seeing the forest for the trees here...?

(And on a purely gluttonous level it would look awesome next to my red '75...;)

BUT...! As flyin900 points out, it Hasn't Happened Yet; so there Is that.