I Have A Dream... (literally)

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I Have A Dream... (literally)

Post by Lucien Harpress »

No, really. I just picked it up.

I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but I had space, so why not? I'm a bit tired of my smallest bike still being a huge-for-the-time CB750, and while I was searching for CB350s, 305 Dreams kept coming up. So, after finding one worth the asking price and not missing TOO many Unobtainium items, I settled on this little beauty.

No key or battery, but the motor is free and had pretty good compression. Plan is to at least see if I can get it to fart and pop (if not run), then strip it all the way down and rebuild it right from scratch. Haven't decided if I'm sticking with the black (but with red seat), or repainting to a red, but that's long enough away. For now, she's nestled into her new home.

1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: I Have A Dream... (literally)

Post by desertrefugee »

I hate you. (But I'm happy for you...if that makes sense).
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

That’s a decent looking bike and your in for a treat. These bikes are nothing like anything I have worked on before. What year is it, as they seem to range from the 1960 time to later 60’s time frame, with many changes internally on the motors?

I recommend the VHT forum, since there are a few guys on there that have some knowledge.
Unfortunately there is not a specific forum I have found like this forum that has members who are very deep in knowledge on these 305cc bikes. The old 305 forum is now defunct and not operating anymore.

Bill Silver is the go to expert on this series and has a for purchase downloaded large file with lots of tips and a copy of his book and many other files that are quite helpful with working on them.

I have attached some links for your assistance on the bike.

http://vintagehonda.com/

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/forums/forum.php

Oh and you need to buy more bikes, as you still have lots of space in that garage. lolol
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Alwing17 has done a bunch of them and still has 2.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

My first bike, all those years ago. Had several 305s after that. Be very careful of that tank badge, which is made of plastic that breaks with a dirty look. And all the really small screws are the old JIS thread, so you can't replace them.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Thanks for the links, tips, and advice. I've got a feeling this is going to be an adventure, regardless of what I end up having to do to it. In a minute here I plan on cleaning up the mufflers, seeing how good or bad they actually are. The bottoms are pretty rashed, but I'm hopeful that the visible parts will clean up okay.

Cool as the tank badge is (and hard as they are to find in the original plastic), the one I have is going to have to go. It's a bit melted and bent, and besides I only have the one. There are some decent looking reproductions, and while not 100% stock, it's better than nothing.

I need to get the key code too, see if I can get a key made for it. Fun adventures await!

UPDATE: Just for fun I hit the nastier muffler with some aluminum foil and vinegar. Results are much better than I could've hoped for. You can still tell it's pitted to all get out, but honestly? Not in a bad way. It shows it's age, but it still very, very pretty.

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Bit of good news- I managed to procure a key that works, so there's one thing to cross off the list.

Unfortunately, I have to balance this with quite a bit of bad news. First up, I tried to hook a battery up to see if anything would wake up and.... nothing. No light, no crank, no horn, no nothing. A total complete lack of ANYTHING narrows things somewhat, but it's still something to try to take care of.

Second, I pulled the air filter, and found that not only did mice find a nice place to visit, I'm also technically missing the air intake from the filter to the carb as well. Both are available, but spendy.

I'm looking at a parts bike at the moment that has several parts I'm missing (fender, clean rims), so I don't want to dive into buying parts before I pick that up, but still. Looks like I'm starting a list.

flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

Yes a parts bike or two is the way to go, as these bikes are very expensive for parts both new or used. Some parts are still difficult to find, so having a spare bike really helps the pocket book.
These bikes are almost impossible to find up in this area, where the US seems to offer more opportunities for parts bikes for sale.
Last edited by flyin900 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

Lucien Harpress wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:35 pm
Second, I pulled the air filter, and found that not only did mice find a nice place to visit, I'm also technically missing the air intake from the filter to the carb as well.

Judging by the hole in your air filter......Your mice own power tools. :joker
Current Bikes:

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Yeah, the air filter was a letdown. Replacements are available (so it's not the end of the world), but I didn't want to have to drop the money for it if I didn't have to.

In other news, I got my parts bike home yesterday, and the results are... mixed.

I was hoping to use the front fender, rims, and handlebars for sure. Of those, the front fender, while dented, is complete and usable. Rims.... the back one is fine, but the front is JUST far gone enough to not be able to use. New replacements are available, BUT usually come in pairs anyway. So that'll be an adventure.

The handlebars? Total write-off. They are rustier than I anticipated, and one side is nearly broken off. A bit disappointed with that one.

On the upside, the motor looks to be in better shape than the first one I bought, some of the rusty bolts on my first bike got painted over, so the plating underneath might be protected, and I have a spare upper AND lower chain-guard. The latter is especially hard to find, so if I have to sell it to offset parts costs elsewhere, I can.

So, not exactly what I hoped, but even then the price of everything I got was close to the price of the ONE front fender I could find on eBay anyway, so I can't be too mad.

flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

The motor is a bonus, as there are lots of internal parts that you now have a choice between the two. I found issues internally on mine and the parts are $$$ to buy new or used. The second gear is a known issue with it jumping out of gear, so you can switch up parts there if needed.
Current Bikes:

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I'm beginning to realize how profoundly goofy restoring one of these is going to be. My normal go-to to figure out how new bikes go together is perusing parts lists and parts diagrams to see what goes where. Problem with this guy? I can find the diagrams for the early Dreams (pre-1963, I think?). Later Dreams (like the one I have)? Not so much. And there's as much parts crossover as there isn't, so I'm going on like half information. Every part of this is going to be an adventure, I think.

And then there's the parts bike I picked up (pictured). This this has.... it's had a rough life. It was painted black, after it was painted yellow, AFTER if was painted red, which might be a stock color, BUT the aluminum rear fender rails were painted red too! On top of that, while the engine is stamped CA77 (which it is), and it's definitely a 305 frame, the frame itself is stamped.... (drum roll)... CA95? Which far as I understand, is the 160CC BABY Dream, of which is a completely different bike!

Way I see it, I think by parting this guy out I'm putting it out of it's misery.

flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

Keep all the key items that you think you will use unless you have access to more of these rollers. I may have some parts diagrams for the Dreams; if you send me the bike model number your working on presently. I have downloaded many Honda parts and service manuals over the years.

I think I spent as much time researching my CL77 as I have wrenching with it's variations over the years. It used 4 different clutch packs in the same motor. Some later transmission gear dogs are back cut and earlier ones are straight cut and other oddities.
I now have a good basis on my bike by creating a binder with every parts fiche page and Honda part number for each key part.
It will certainly challenge the grey matter along with a few more grey hairs. type1
Current Bikes:

Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

When I first started working on 305s, the dealer parts guy wouldn't even talk to me if I didn't have the engine number. Running changes are a pain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Yeah, you're telling me. I've been looking up the frame VIN, trying to nail down exactly what year I've got, and I'm no closer now than when I started. It's late enough to have the CA78 lead-off and a 7-digit number (earlier had 6, I think), but early enough to only be in the 9000-range of that number. It's also before they switched to the later, standardized (ish) batteries.

Oh yeah, on an unrelated note, I got the wrong battery! :IDTS:

Everything I've seen tells me it's either a late '64 or an early '65. Maybe. Which apparently is right smack dab in the middle of when Honda changed a bunch of stuff, so yeah. I'm having all kinds of fun.