Escape from SK….

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Escape from SK….

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Ah, the epic trips: Pittsburgh to Newfoundland and Labrador and back; Denver to (near) Tuktoyuktuk to Anchorage; Anchorage to Saskatoon. F*^% COVID and the lockdowns. She (my ‘77) sat in SK, bound for heaven because the hell had been ridden out of her.

I had a plan to fly to SK and ride south - I’m no Snake Pliskin, but was hell bent on getting her outta Canuckistan. But with a cracked frame, a split//dangling rear fender, the occasional seize/lack of compression - it seemed completely irrational to expect a reliable trip. So, a clean US ‘78 that made at least two trips was also “stuck” in SK since 2017. idee2

Flying has been a hassle lately, so when combined with other opportunities, I asked the owner of the ‘78 what his plans were. He wanted it, but neither of us could find a cost effective/easy/quick means to extract the bikes. It’s not a quick jaunt from CO (work) to SK, but it’s a far cry closer than GA (home). No direct flights either. So he made a gracious, almost mafia offer and I jumped on it. Clean and mostly stock, it should make it just fine.

My hope was to find a perfect window of sunny and warm Canadian summer weather to ride - my first ride since 2018 (the Tuk trip). Potential friends to ride both bikes back that had (1) time, (2) passport and (3) acceptable vax status quickly dropped to zero. Desperate, a multi-segmented plan was hatched to get my truck to Denver from Savannah in order to set up a weekend dash and grab for both bikes.

First, a trip to Pittsburgh (struggling the last two hours as my truck went into limp mode due to a sensor plugging issue):

Caught a cool bike show outside Cleveland courtesy of Low Brow Bike shop. Cool bikes - I liked this one:

Eventually get to CO and take in some sights (Tincup Pass):

But the real effort was the Goldwing/Cannonball Run. At 4am on the 12th, I left Denver and arrived in Saskatoon some 17.5 hours later. Not too much trouble at the border (no guns sir :shock: ) Saturday was for a little R&R by way of skidoos on the Saskatchewan River followed by a night loading of the bikes for the return trip on Sunday. Wanna see how deep the river is?

Time to get serious. When trying to squeeze two GL’s on a 1500, it’s nice to have an overhead crane (Jekylll approves):

Both bikes tucked in for the ride:

The poor, poor tailgate….

Plan is to take the goodies off the ‘77 (Webers, Biltwell exhaust, Dyna, braided lines, threaded oil filter, LED h/l) and graft into the ‘78. Then tear down and fix frame, transplant the 1200 engine and build from there on the ‘77 (my precious). In the meantime, ride the ‘78….

Z
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Escape from SK….

Post by gltriker »

Ohhhhh Boy! This epic adventures report is going to be Great Fun!! :lol: action1
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That made for a couple of long days on the road!!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I enjoy your story telling.
A 3/4" sheet of plywood would have been cheep insurance for your tailgate but who am I to say. Hindsight is 20/20.
Be sure to let us in on the swap/rebuild.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

following..it's to bad your bike wasn't out this way..I could have hauled it to the border for you
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Yes indeed, cheap insurance. Truthfully, the initial damage was done back in 2015 for the Canadian Maritimes trip. I was hauling a KTM dirt bike on the driver’s side and the ‘Wing on the passenger side. There is a cutout for wires near where the rear tire sits and after all highway miles from
Denver to P’Burgh, a nice, 1” deep depression had formed.

Fast forward to this Goldenball Run, with secondary tie downs in the rear, absolutely horrid secondary roads in SK and MT, and rock hard tires to get decent fuel economy - it got worse.

Yes, a sheet of plywood would’ve helped. But I’m not sure how well it would’ve stayed in place without fastening it to the tailgate. For Long sections of road in northern Montana, they were redoing the road base. Plenty of washboard sections for detours also - and time constraints so I didn’t slow to a crawl.

I arrived a little north of Denver around 1:30am and prepped for work the next day….

Flew home on Thursday and will return to CO this Sunday, work most of the week and then head East over the Labor Day weekend. A bit of a two Wing, solo driver parade….

Z
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

A touch over 7,000 miles (7,009.5 to be precise or for our metric friends a mere 11.281 km) after departing Savannah, the mission is completed:

My tailgate took a beating, but did not fold:

Since the plan is currently to transfer the goodies from the ‘77 to the ‘78, I fired up the ‘77 just to enjoy the sounds (and smells) one last time. Then I extracted the battery from it and transferred it to the ‘78. It had not been started for a looooong time:

It took some coaxing to get her woke (sorry, is that a forbidden word these days?), but wake she did. Air up the front, drop her off the center stand and grab some clutch…ouch… that’s stiff!

Just a quick jaunt near the house. Pulls good under full throttle. A bit of a gentle but noticeable, lobing surge at steady throttle. Ran a bit hot but I had to sneak in a quickie before tending to her. Nice to be back in the saddle again….

Z
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

anim-cheers1
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Stripping the ‘77 to the frame. Tomorrow, remove the engine and get ‘er bare.

z
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

HomeMadeSin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:33 pm Stripping the ‘77 to the frame. Tomorrow, remove the engine and get ‘er bare.

z
and so it begins :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Well, the frame has cracks and I have a 1200 engine I’ve been hauling around for 6 years just itching to mate up with a chassis. According to your signature, I’ll be plagiarizing you!

Z
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

HomeMadeSin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:46 pm Well, the frame has cracks and I have a 1200 engine I’ve been hauling around for 6 years just itching to mate up with a chassis. According to your signature, I’ll be plagiarizing you!

Z
Go for it! It's an awsome combination
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

To really make it handle I suggest a single rear shock, and re-inforced swing arm. Of course, better front forks help as well
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Aren't you ready to take a looooong motorcycle trip within a week or two and have to get that engine into another frame before then? That seems to be your MO. Can't believe your wrenching on a bike without an imminent and impossible deadline approaching ;) The world is changing and maybe not for the better!
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

:-D Touché Sagebrush

I feel long overdue for a mega trip. The 34 hour r/t rescue in the truck didn’t provide the same fix…

Thanks for the tips Cyborg
z

Today’s efforts an e-section and beheadings:

Return to “General Motorcycle Forum”