'Rusty' - We Have a Heartbeat!

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

'Rusty' - We Have a Heartbeat!

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Finally got a chance to go out to the lab and dig into Rusty again - a few days ago I put in that 50/50 mix that Randakk recommends when bringing back a bike that hasn't run in a long time - like, 19 years! I turned it over a few times while trying to start it, had no luck, no spark on my 3&4 cylinders...I went out today and went over the electronic ignition again, not expecting much, and adjusted the unit a little - took it out and reinstalled it, actually - and the test light lit up where and when it was supposed to on both coils...so, what the heck, right...? She cranked one or two times and fired right up!
Whoo-Hoo...!! action1 action1 action1
ImageDSCN2459 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

That smoky exhaust is the ATF burning off, and whatever 'film' was left in the sump or on the gears, I suppose...(yes, I had fresh oil in there with the ATF); once she found her rhythm I pushed the choke all the way in and she idled for a good 20 minutes, didn't even have to blip the throttle!

Here's the vital signs:
ImageDSCN2460 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

A better view of the gauges - 13.5 volts! I was only running on some gas I put into the bottom of the tank/Reserve, and the Temperature gauge rose nicely, although I think it was getting a bit hot just sitting there running... (see the picture above).
ImageDSCN2458 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

The tach seemed a bit sluggish, but I haven't taken it out and cleaned the cable yet, and the water pump had a slow leak (just a few drops) from around one of the bolts - more of a PITA than anything else, but at least it wasn't coming out the weephole, so that's good. I'll tighten it down and see if that does anything; but no popping, backfiring or anything else unusual...the starter did get hot again, though, but could that be just the heat from the engine?

I turned it off and restarted it a couple times, just to check, and it seemed to rev and return okay, so at least I'm on the way, it seems.

"I love the smell of 19-year-old engines in the morning...that smell, that gasoline smell...it smells like...Victory!"
(With apologies to Col. Kilgore ;) :lol: )
Last edited by Dr. Frankenstein on Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 'Rusty' - We Have a Heartbeat!

Post by 5speed »

anim-cheers1
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Don't trust that ancient voltmeter. When these bikes were made it was standard practice to use gauges that operated by passing a current through heater wire wrapped around a bimetallic strip connected to the needle in vehicles because their needles move slowly so they don't jump from engine vibration or every time you hit a bump.

That said, 13.5V at idle is about right as long as it rises to 14-15V at something like 3,000 RPM.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh, yeah - I understand the gauges on these 40-plus year-old bikes are mostly for show, at this point, as I found out with the gas gauge on my '75...isn't there a post in here somewhere on how to change them out to possibly more accurate LED's?

Still, it did give me a reading.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

with the temp that high was the fan coming on? also, if the thermostat is old, it may not open all the way, causing it to run hot
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, it did, thankfully. It has a new thermostat in it too. I changed it out when I was in there putting on the front. New O-rings, new water pump and seal - the works.