FINALLY back in the saddle... Kind of

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

FINALLY back in the saddle... Kind of

Post by Dlsgap »

Took the opportunity of having another birthday to buy myself a toy. Picked up a '02 CBR 954RR last weekend. 39k on the clock but had a complete rebuild 8k ago.

Unfortunately I'm not riding it yet. The previous owner messed something up when he installed new fork seals so the front end is all kinds of funky when cornering or hitting any bumps. Adjustments are backwards (adjusting to softer stiffens it) and there's a ton of spring noise from the forks making me wonder if he put any fork oil in... so she's parked until I can gather all the necessary tools for a fork removal and service.

Cosmetically, she's not perfect... aftermarket bodywork that doesn't line up right, and the tank needs repainting... but I'm considering making her a track toy anyway so none of that really matters.

Edit.... trying to attach a photo isn't going as planned.... not sure why, but it just stalls out and never attaches.
Damien

"If loud pipes save lives... Imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you"
Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: FINALLY back in the saddle... Kind of

Post by Dlsgap »

Apparently it works from my phone, but not my laptop.
681dd384-ae18-46cf-aaa3-f9b79ee55224.jpg
681dd384-ae18-46cf-aaa3-f9b79ee55224.jpg (98.99 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Damien

"If loud pipes save lives... Imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you"
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Nice bike. I know you have wanted one for a long time.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Never can trust the last nut to work on something to be right…looks like a fun bike!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

wingrider wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:43 pm Never can trust the last nut to work on something to be right…looks like a fun bike!
Thats why I've never been a fan of buying used bikes. This one was too good of a deal to pass though... I could easily sell it now (even with the suspension issue) for twice what I paid..

It had a few missing nuts and bolts that I've been replacing as I find them.. And now we're covered in a sheet of ice for which the powers that be did ZERO prep so the entire metropolitan area is shut down. I don't even want to go in the garage to watch tv lol
Damien

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

wingrider wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:43 pm Never can trust the last nut to work on something to be right…looks like a fun bike!
that is even true when I am the orginal owner
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

Took her for a spin up the road the other day to test out a GoPro mount. Seems to have done okay for light riding. Front suspension is still sketchy as I'm waiting for the funds to pick up the tools I'd need to do a rebuild. I may give in and just take it to a shop as I've never reworked forks before and with them already having issues, I think I may want expert eyes on them.

https://youtu.be/HiJCeiv5O10
Damien

CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Dlsgap wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:56 pm Took her for a spin up the road the other day to test out a GoPro mount. Seems to have done okay for light riding. Front suspension is still sketchy as I'm waiting for the funds to pick up the tools I'd need to do a rebuild. I may give in and just take it to a shop as I've never reworked forks before and with them already having issues, I think I may want expert eyes on them.

https://youtu.be/HiJCeiv5O10
Sounds like it's running pretty good
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200