Do, or do not... There is no try!

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

Ti20
Lead Member
Lead Member

Do, or do not... There is no try!

Post by Ti20 »

Hi everyone!

First of all I want to thank you all in advance for all the tips and hands you should give to me in the future. I don't really know any of mechanical, but I still love biking and mod something.

Okay so, what about me? I'm a 31 years old young boy, from Quebec Canada, french speaker, so excuse my poor english. Actually riding a brand new Honda VFR800FF Sport Touring and a 2005 Honda CR125 for when I want to excite a little bit.

Here's the project: I've found a deal for a (such) brand new 1985 Aspencade GL1200 in a great good shape, for a couple of hundred box. I saw some of incredible rides by looking through your forum and I decided to register. I want to make sure that I have enough infos to be "able" to convert this big boy into something more "Standard", or Cafe racer or Bobber BEFORE I spend some money on it.

My first questions are: What do I need, how much it cost, do everybody with no talent but a solid mind can turn this:
Into that:
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Do, or do not... There is no try!

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Welcome to the forum, lots of good info for you and a host of help available.

Nice looking Aspencade. If it is street worthy, I'd keep it as a touring bike. You can probably find people who want the parts you would take off.

The real issue is that there are so many parts integrated into the fairings that you would need a good game plan, place to work on it and the transformation may not be inexpensive. There would probably be issues such as finding replacement gauges that are integrated into the fairings, adaption of the gear indicator, and a host of other changes. If you want to make it into a standard, bobber or cafe racer, you will be into a major project that you may tire of down the road.

Depending on the cost of the bike, do the maintenance from recommendations on this or the other forums, minimize your costs and ride, or just flip it.

You already have 2 bikes that you can use for the adrenaline rush, whereas this one will give you the freedom to tour, carry your belongings, and be two up in comfort if you choose. Lots of mileage to be had with these older GWs.

Just a few thoughts to consider. Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom. Bienvenu ??

The Aspencade is going to be a big job .... good suggestion above, make it roadworthy, flip it and find an earlier model in Standard form to work on ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Ti20
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Ti20 »

Thank you for your answers.. So you think that I should find something else as a "long term project"? The bike is pretty clean and rideable as is right now.

I can have it for as low as $100. The pink slip is expired so I will need to pass a safety check to put it again on the road. I don't really know if I need to fix something for that.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Buy it....re sell it for more money, and buy what you REALLY want
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

To turn that into that, would be more work that it is worth in my opinion. Much easier, and less expensive, to convert a 75-83 into naked than any Aspencade 84 and up. To convert my 81 interstate, a much closer to base model than the 85 Aspe, took a couple of months and $700.00. I would get the 85 and trade it for a naked, or sell it and buy a naked. Keep us posted...
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Ti20 wrote:Thank you for your answers.. So you think that I should find something else as a "long term project"? The bike is pretty clean and rideable as is right now.

I can have it for as low as $100. The pink slip is expired so I will need to pass a safety check to put it again on the road. I don't really know if I need to fix something for that.
First, welcome to the club! Second, is that a pic of the actual bike you can buy for $100? If so, I've got a really nice running '81 that I'll trade. I'll even toss in some of the parts you'd need to get it 'nekkid'...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
OhioBill
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/OhioBill

Post by OhioBill »

I think he may mean put it on the road for $100.00.
OhioBill

I now have GPS so I no longer get lost, just confused.
Retired and Loving it.
When I die send my body to the scrap yard.
Two hips and a shoulder replaced.

1975 Blue/ Green (Now Black) My main ride
1975 Red Gone to my son! (Burned Feb 2013)
1979 Black (to be restored)
1979 Blue (Sold)
1978 Black (back in the fold) sold again. Bought it back, again
1993 blue 1500 Sold
1976 Restoring
Ti20
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Ti20 »

Ok, so here's some news for now. I will bring the Wing home this week. My "negociation" was great, I won't pay anything for it. The salesperson is one of my client, and she decided to let me take care of her Aspencade for her.

So I will probably take my time, strip the bike slowly, trying to sell parts as I uninstall them, and get this thing naked, and more badass.

In order to do the thing great, should I start by removing all the rear bags and fearing ? What's the first step for "naking" an Aspencade like this?
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I see what you are asking a lot. Especially with new members/owners. First I don't agree with taking apart a full fairing bike to make a stripped down one. I would preserve the wing as is, there is little or no market for the bags, fairing, etc. But a fair market for one with all the bags etc. But the question is, what are your riding plans? Long trips.? Short trips? Once a week to the local coffee shop? Garage queen? Would you buy/use a school bus to make a weekly grocery run to the local Walmart? First question has to be What you want to use the bike for. Then get the right bike for that need.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

The first thing I would do is change the timing belts. No ifs, ands, or buts. From there, depending on the bike's history, I would work my way through oil change, coolant flush and change, fuel tank, carbs, all the brakes, etc...
It's very easy to get going on taking stuff off the bike, but if you're not sure how well it runs, or how well it was maintained, get to know the bike a bit first. Nothing sucks more than being half way through a project and finding a major issue. Also, once you know the bike is up and running, you have a baseline to compare any work or changes you do... My 2 cents...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I agree. First order of business should always be getting it running right and up to date on belts etc.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

The first thing you will need to do is find a shelter from an 84 standard. You can try to adapt a shelter from an 1100. after you have one in hand, then you can start to tear everything off the bike, in any order you chose. The 85 onward wings are tough to cafe because the fairing is integrated into the shelter, as is all the wiring and such. If it were me, I'd clean it up nice, get it running nice, and sell it. Then pick up a gl1100 like the one in your first photo. Much easier to deal with.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

As others have said, it will be far easier to start with a 1200 standard (assuming you can find one), or an 1100 or 1000. Sell this bike, and buy something closer to what your end goal is. That said, I am not sure what your motivation is. If you were given the bike for free with the understanding that you were going to keep and use it, and would offend the person who gave it to you if you sold it, then by all means make it the bike you want. It isn't easy, and will take more time, but in the end you will be happy.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I would think the person who gave you the bike, might have done it with the hope you would preserve it.....in tac. Might be a good idea to check with them.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”