ATTENTION NEWBIES: Lots of GREAT help here, but...

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

hep2
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: ATTENTION NEWBIES: Lots of GREAT help here, but...

Post by hep2 »

My name is Rick,I just aquired a 1980 gl1100 aspencade and have already stripped it down,wow what a diffrence. according to the prior owner it has gears from an 82 and from what i`ve read that is why it has no problem doing 100 mph + but I also think that is what is contributing to the drivetrain noise I here at low rpm`s and speeds.I do need to get the carbs synched better and I`m sure that will help,but with 120,000 plus miles will I just have to live with this noise short of doing major rework on the drivetrain?the engine is in fine condition heads recenly rebuilt,jugs looked awesome and the compression is even witin 2%on all 4 and clean as can be at least on the inside. it`s going in the garage for the winter soon and will get a cosmetic make over then,for now it is serviceable and a lot of fun.
Rick
1980 GL1100
don77gl1000
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by don77gl1000 »

Hi, my name is Don, my first job was working at a Honda dealership in 1975 as a new-bike set-up technician. What a job for a 16-year old! I remember the new 1975 'Wings, but I wasn't allowed to touch them.(you had to be factory-trained.) I just picked up a original-black-paint '77 with 29,000 original miles! One-owner til 2006. All stock plus a Windjammer fairing. Needs a few cosmetic items but good overall, and came with a factory shop manual. Looking forward to having fun with it. Your website looks like a goldmine!
Richardfci
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Richardfci »

Hi, My bike is a 78 Goldwing not naked but still fun. Also have a 78 Suzuki 750, a 70 350 Honda and a 70 Kawasaki H1. Looking to meet some people who like motorcycles as much as I do. :-D
squid
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by squid »

I have an 82 Interstate that I picked up several months ago, it has 57 k on it.
My question involves finding a set of headlight ears and turnsignals.
Will a set of headlight ears and or turnsignals from a CB 650,750,900 work?
Thanks
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

You will have better luck with your question if you make a new thread in the Introductions forum.
KC Thompson
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by KC Thompson »

Thanks a ton for the advice on whether or not to change my belts and the advice on my noisy tach. The tach tomorrow and the belts as soon as I can get my hands on new tensioners...might as well do it all and do it right !

THANKS again.
bulldawg
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by bulldawg »

recently joined have a83 standard and a 1100 interstate have been looking on your website and have picked up some good information and would like to in mputor thing out as i go along just starting this new technodgy stuff
1981 and 1983 GL1100's
Roady

Post by Roady »

Welcome bulldawg. Hanging around and BSin' with the gang here can be fun. :-)

Please jump on over to our Introductions forum, create a New Topic and let us know who ya are and what ya brung.
Wingster79
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingster79 »

Hi new to ngw. Want to post my hot rod wing...would like to know how to be bike of the month...
Hot rod "wingster"
1979 GL1000
honeydo1973
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by honeydo1973 »

Hi my name is Joe and I have an 1983 Goldwing Ascenpade. We bought it last summer and it rode great except for it had a leak on the left bank. So this winter I tore it down and replaced the head gaskets had the head tested. When I took it apart I mark everything on the timing gears like you said to on here. When I got it all back together it is running real rough now. It has a real loud knocking noise in it. When you rev it up to about 2000 rpm the knocking noise goes away but at low rpms you would think the motor was going to blow up. I can not figure out what the knocking noise is. Does anyone have any ideas.
1983 GL1100 ASPENCADE
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

is it a knocking or a rattle.? are you sure the two plug wires on that bank are on the right plugs? truth is it is hard to figure out from the information you have given. if you are saying all you did was remove the head and replace it, then the timing could be suspect. have you ck'd the timing of the cam?
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Roady

Post by Roady »

You said it ran great before the teardown.

But that "knocking" noise you mention just might be out of sync carbs.

Why don't you go on over to the Introductions forum and create a New Topic to let the gang know that you're here. Then create a Topic in the Tech Discussions forum to get your question answered. You might also want to take a look at the "New2U?" thread, push the button in my sig or find it in ShopTalk.

Oh, and, welcome to the forums! :-)
honeydo1973
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by honeydo1973 »

Think you all for trying to help me more like a rattle .I think I bent a valve.the cam gear did snap back on me . Im pulling the left down saturday will let you all know what I find .Joe
1983 GL1100 ASPENCADE
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

before you tear it down, do a compression ck. that will tell you if the valve is bent. also make sure the idle is set high enough . around 1000 RPM would be a good place to start. the rattle could be the main chain, which is common, if the carbs are a little out of sync, or the idle is to low
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200