A Reminder Folks

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

Marc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: A Reminder Folks

Post by Marc »

A bit late I know, but THANKS WHISKERFISH, I appreciate the work you put into this site.
Shalom, Marc

1975 GL1000 "Dresser"
1976 GL1000 Project Bike
1979 GL1000 Naked
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1970 Norton Commando
Robert Russell
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Robert Russell »

I am a lurker who does not post very often, but I enjoy the forum thoroughly. Many could learn from the way this forum has been run. I no longer own a wing but still enjoy reading what you have to say. I miss the comraderie and kindness shown me by members when attending past events. You are a great bunch of guys and gals. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Bob "The Classics Man"
The Classics Man, 81 GL1100
fauslyfox110
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by fauslyfox110 »

This site is invaluable. Thanks to all you guys my dad's gl1100 and my gl1000 get the help they need and I learn more. Hope to one day be qualified enough to share tips myself.
1979 GL1000
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

All newsgroups get outta line from time to time. All I can do is follow the rules and enjoy this new (to me) group. So far, I'm really impressed and without Randaak's help, I still wouldn't have functioning front brakes on my 79 Wing. It was bought in 98 as a parts bike for my 78 Wing. Stayed in pieces until 07 and then was an ongoing project off & on over the past 5 years. Finally finished and running real well. I like it as much as my 97 naked Valkyrie. This is a great site for tips. Thanks.
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

we don't always appreciate what goes on behind the scenes but we would be lost without this site!
thanks people.
"Say not the struggle naught availeth." A H Clough.

'78 GL1000 Trike
1st bike: '58 150cc Ambassador 2 stroke. learned how to chuck it down the road
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
3 BSA Bantams, now a daughter has one
'78 Honda 500T
prc1100
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by prc1100 »

Great to see so many different people agree on one thing...politeness.
I am a member of a site dedicated to the KLR 650 and some of the things I read there yesterday made me turn away and search for more congenial conversation.
Keep up the good work, this site has a good handle on the civility issue.
prc1100
aspenoldman
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by aspenoldman »

I've always enjoyed this forum. Thanks for having it. Keep in the wind.
62 years old married 2 grown children . 86 Aspencade.
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

Hi all,
I have perused your site for several weeks and I find it a real blessing.
I'm new to motorcycles completely. My bike is a basket case 77 GL1000.
I cannot say enough about how much I've learned.
Thanks WF and the other moderators.

Ken
Kenny
Illegitimi non carborundum
'77 GL1000 my first bike @58
Kroosa
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Kroosa »

I echo all of the comments above. This is a great site. I don't remember how many times I have come here for a tech tip of for help when I have made a bonehead move, or just forgotten how to put back together what I hastily took apart. I always find help, quickly and with a good spirit.

I'd like to take a moment to say that If my comments have been among those perceived as flip or rude, It was never my intention and I humbly fall on my sword. I've no doubt that moderating a diverse group such as this is just plain hard work, and I salute all of you and thank you, especially the leaders such as Whisker Fish, for all the hard work.
Ken R.

2013 BMW K1600 GTL
2013 CB1100
Several 75 & 76 GL1000's,
including a few LTD's, &
other early Hondas.
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

i've been very happy with what i've seen and experienced on this site and i fully agree with this part,
The Moderation team and I are tasked with walking a fine line between maintaining good order and over Moderating. Over Moderation can destroy a Board in short order and we are well aware of this.
my experience has been pretty much all positive, as a participant,

however, there were 2 very public 'moderations' that really stood out and caught my attention, that i'd like to discuss further privately
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

As a general rule we try to keep Moderation acts behind the scenes and between the Moderation team and the individual. Sometimes a situation develops and makes that not possible or in our judgment not the best course. In the Military I was taught to praise in public and discipline in private. There are times when that approach does not get the job done with certain people and public admonition is the best way to attempt to bring them back into the mainstream of the group. Beating your head against a brick wall in private sucks when you are not accomplishing anything and public attention can be used as a last resort. It is against normal practice but public corrections work more often than not with some people.

It saddens me every time we loose a member. It is not something I or any member of the Mod Team enjoy. The entire purpose of the site is to help out people with these bikes and to share knowledge, the more players there are the better we can do that. It does not matter what I think of an individual or what "Joe" thinks of an individual but what is best for the site. If someone is a constant disruption or repeatedly stirring the pot and will not correct their behavior then they will go away.

I see from Oldewing you have already started a discussion with him. That is fine. If anyone has issue with the way things are done here I hope they would contact me or one of the other Mods via PM before making any decisions.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

i like the modding here, can't say i notice it much, usually a sign of folks that have their act together, and for some time,

the moderation comes across as mature, experienced, established and highly effective,

i wasn't aware of the elaborate steps involved here and prob like most, consider a permanent ban, a very serious move to make,

the only suggestion i had was if a temp ban had been considered prior to a permanent ban,

my understanding is that's part of the process here,

if i had any remaining issue(s) with what i've experienced myself here, i certainly wouldn't hesitate to speak up,

i have no use for or interest in forums that are not well moderated, as a fundamental or don't give a strong impression as to what they are about in a very clear way,

you can usually sort it out just by what you see in how a site or forum presents itself, or quickly by how they may respond to concerns or issues arising
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Robert Russell wrote:Many could learn from the way this forum has been run.
Yup.
Novice Rider
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Novice Rider »

action1 Thx to everyone that works to keep the information flowing.
Wingerinsandiego
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Wingerinsandiego »

My favorite site! Very informative, and have always made me feel welcome. OMG the money u guys have saved me is unbelievalble. Keep up the great work.
1976 LTD
1985 LTD (SOLD) To support my naked obsession!!

I don't want a nickel, just want to ride my motorcycle!