Noob to Goldwings and the forums! Hello!

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

TaizerBeam
Lead Member
Lead Member

Noob to Goldwings and the forums! Hello!

Post by TaizerBeam »

I finally decided to join and say hi after browsing all the amazing builds people have done with goldwings across the internet. After seeing that, things seem to just fall into place as I got a rugged cheap 1980 Gl1100 Interstate! I have almost zero mechanical experience but I want to get this thing ready for the road and since it was so cheap I thought it would be a great way to learn. I hope I can ask all of you for help because I already have a ton of questions.

P.S I actually got the front fairing off on my own!
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Noob to Goldwings and the forums! Hello!

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Shoptalk is your new friend ..... start with 'changing the timing belts' and go from there.

If you can't find something, just ask.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
TaizerBeam
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by TaizerBeam »

RAT wrote:Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Shoptalk is your new friend ..... start with 'changing the timing belts' and go from there.

If you can't find something, just ask.

Gord
Thanks! I've been hearing about changing timing belts for a bit. Is that the go to first step when getting a new-2-U bike? I'm itching to get working on it.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome to the Wing nut cafe! Yes, belts are one of the first orders of business. There's an excellent writeup posted as a sticky at the top of this forum titled "New 2u bike" that will guide you through some of the typical issues a new 2u bike can have. Take your time, ask questions, and take lots and lots of pics! We LOVE pics!

Good wrenchin'
Told
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Welcome aboard from Indiana.

Buy a good shop manual. A real Honda manual is best. Clymers has some good/better pics than the Honda manual but also has some mistakes in it. But they are invaluable for working on these.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Hey, welcome to the club. Yea, timing belts are the first 'to do' item on the list. This is a good link with pics on how to do that. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10- ... orial.html

Also, while you have it open and the belts off, you may wish to change out the Timing Belt Idlers. You can order OEM or you can check out this page on how to rebuild them... http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10919

As you are going to be at the front of the engine, take a look underneath, at the water pump weep hole. Take a look for oil or radiator fluid coming out of that hole. If you see one or the other, or both, you will also need to change out the water pump. Bad water pumps are a fairly common issue on bikes this age. It's an easy repair, just a bit costly.
water pump weep hole.jpg
water pump weep hole.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Taking an interstate down to a Naked Wing, is a lot of fun. If you got the fairing off, you may have found the rats nest of wires under the counter weight. If not, take off the counter weight. There it is. A lot of guys will tell you that all those wires will fit in the headlight bucket when you put it on. Maybe. But I couldn't do it.... You can shorten them, or hide them as I did. But you have a lot of other stuff to do before you get to that.

Also, when you get to it, you are going to need headlight ears. Try to find them with the turn signal tab and rubber boot.

This one has turn signal tab. No rubber boot
headlight ears.jpg
headlight ears.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 309 times
This one has rubber boot. Broken off turn signal tab. Rusty spot
headlight ears 2.jpg
headlight ears 2.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 309 times
As for the headlight and headlight bucket. The one in the fairing will not do. You will need a new one. Do not buy a New-New one. They are too small and pieces of junk. Find an old OEM stock headlight and bucket that is all together. Do not try to buy it piece by piece. Bucket, light, ring... Find one that is all together. Trust me on this.

Good luck with your build. Start a build thread. Take lots of pics and build the thread as you build your bike. You will be glad you did.
TaizerBeam
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by TaizerBeam »

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! I plan to really start working on it this weekend. I may try to change the oil and see if I can at least get the bike running, but is that ok to do before changing the belts? I may take your advice TNTbefree and start a build thread, though it will most likely be a pretty slow one.
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

I hope I don't bring down wrath on myself, but if you truly have almost zero mechanical experience, I wouldn't change the timing belts first. Most of these guys on here can change the timing belts in their sleep, and, true, it is extremely important to change them. Do whatever super easy things you can find to do first, and then, once you have gotten familiar with the bike, change the belts. But pay absolute close attention to the instructions. If you're unsure ask a lot of questions.
Last edited by brokentoe on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

brokentoe wrote:I hope I don't bring down wrath on myself, but if you truly have almost zero mechanical experience, I wouldn't change the timing belts first. Most of these guys on here can change the timing belts in their sleep, and, true, it is extremely important to change them. Do whatever super easy things you can find to do first, and then, once you have gotten familiar with the bike, change the belts. But pay absolute close attention to the instructions. If you're unsure ask a lot of questions.
I agree...considering these aren't non interference engines a botched timing belt change will definitely ruin your day..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

Welcome! glad you found us. and Congrats on buying one. I got my first one 'cuz it was cheap and running (@ the time). that was LONG before this forum existed and even before the internet was a thing. I wish I'd had this resource back then. she might still be running.
+1 on doing some more removal/repair of stuff to help familiarize yourself w/the bike before digging into the belts. I know the feeling of just wanting to get 'er running but it can only take a heartbeat to toast the engine if a belt goes.
and ask away. we're help to help & encourage.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
TaizerBeam
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by TaizerBeam »

Thanks! Yeah I may hold off on the timing belts for a little bit. Just got some oil so I can switch that and am looking for replacement filter. If I can get that all set then it's just a matter of some missing nuts and bolts and a new headlight/turning signals for the front back.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

what condition is the inside of the gas tank in? Mine was horrible and was the first repair I tackled...
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

If the previous owner can verify that the belts were changed in the previous five years, you "might" be safe to run it. However if the belts sat in the same position for a few years, they can develop weak spots where they're flexed.

It might be nice to have a set of eyes to help with first belt change or watch someone else do it. I'm hope you found the Shoptalk section. Lots of good help there.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
TaizerBeam
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by TaizerBeam »

5speed wrote:what condition is the inside of the gas tank in? Mine was horrible and was the first repair I tackled...
Minor surface rust. It's actually in pretty good condition which I am thankful for.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

you caught a nice break. :)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)